With an abundance of fresh seafood and seafood restaurants in Penang alongside a medley of distinct flavors, who wouldn’t want to enjoy a steamboat in Penang?
There are steamboat restaurants that have unusual broths, quality homemade ingredients and authentic Thai dishes. And others that work as a buffet!
So, if you’re looking for the best steamboat restaurants in Penang, check out these top 11 places in the region!
Top 11 Steamboats in Penang
1. FWF Hotpot @ Gurney Paragon (凤王府)
For a tongue-numbing steamboat in Penang, this is the spot for you.
Known for their Mala hot pot soup base, this eatery is perfect for anyone craving a spicy fix.
The décor here is as hot as their food – inspired by traditionally red Chinese aesthetics.
They also have sectioned-off tables split off by large wooden dividers if you’d like a more private setting.
Other than their signature Mala Soup, they also have Herbal Soup, Sichuan Sour Soup, and Tomato Soup for added variety.
Once you’re done with your meal, try out their array of traditional sweet desserts for a perfect end to your meal!
- Address: Gurney Paragon, Penang, 163-D-6-37A&37B, Level 6, Gurney Paragon Mall, Gurney Drive, 10250 George Town, Penang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 11pm
- Contact Number: +6011-3984 1230
2. Golden Gate Steamboat
This non-halal steamboat restaurant in Penang is in a corner bungalow around Gurney Drive. Glass-stained windows give a nostalgic touch to the interior of the restaurant.
It is a quaint place to dine with a small group.
Moreover, they have traditional steamboat here. Ingredients include seafood and other meat, vegetables plus homemade items.
- Address: 77, Jalan Cantonment, 10350 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 5:30pm to 11pm
- Contact Number: +6011-3319 9330
3. Tem Xim Charcoal Mookata (满满泰式火鍋)
This family-owned steamboat restaurant is for those in Penang who would like to try out Mookata hot pot.
With a warm and welcoming ambiance, you’ll feel right at home dining here thanks to their friendly service.
As for what’s Mookata Hot Pot, it’s a Thai style of hotpot where barbecue meets soup hot pot in one skillet. The traditional Thai version sits atop a charcoal fire too.
Luckily Tem Xim Charcoal Mookata stays true by giving you an original experience.
Besides the authenticity, the ingredients here are incredibly fresh. You can layer them with some homemade dips of varying spiciness.
And that isn’t all! This restaurant serves generous portions with free refills on soups, noodles, and selected veggies.
So, you’re sure to leave here with a full and happy belly, and a wonderful experience dining experience to boot.
Note: Don’t forget your complimentary ice sticks after your meal!
- Address: 93, Lebuh Pantai, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 11:30pm
- Contact Number: +6016-4632317
4. Sawara Claypot Steamboat
Sawara Claypot Steamboat is a popular steamboat spot that is usually filled with people, so we highly suggest making a reservation beforehand!
Inside this establishment, you’ll find a clean environment that is well lit, alongside the freshest ingredients that are natural and unprocessed.
From well-brewed broths to handmade meatballs, this restaurant only puts out their best dishes on their tables. Fish head steamboat is one of their specialties.
You’ll also get incredible service, with the servers being kind, friendly, and helpful.
Coupled with the more-than-comfortable environment and good food, it is hard to leave once you enter.
- Address: 202A, Ground Floor, Jalan Burma, 10350 George Town, Penang.
- Opening Hours: Daily 11:30am to 3pm and again at 6pm to 10pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact Number: +604-2285637
5. Gia Xiang Steamboat Restaurant
With its classic interior yet minimalistic décor, this establishment is like a blast from the past.
During your visit, you have to try their signature milk soup base with fried fish – It’s creamy, thick, and packed with flavor.
Of course, they also have a variety of other soup bases, including Mala soup that’s filled with delicious spices.
And don’t worry if you’re overwhelmed with their variety of choices as the helpful staff is ready to guide you through it. It can be tricky to communicate with the foreign staff though.
Note: They have a private room available for a minimum spending fee.
Parking is relatively convenient too, although do note that it’s a lot more of a hassle if you arrive during a busy period.
- Address: 40, Jln Icon City, Bukit Tengah, 14000 Bukit Mertajam, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11:30am to 11:30pm
- Contact Number: +604-5054501
- Other Branches: There are other branches within Penang
6. Flavor Food (原石鍋)
This restaurant may be a little hard to find, but you’re in for a treat when you do, as Flavor Food is a treasure among steamboats in Penang.
Flavor Food embraces tradition with their stone pot and Satintail grass cover:
Where quality ingredients simmer to perfection, with a strong mouth-watering aroma sealed within.
And if that doesn’t impress you, their soup base is extraordinarily refreshing and far from greasy. But with this in mind, note that it is not cheap to dine here.
Other than the traditional hotpot setup, other favorites include their clay pot cooked Lap Mei Rice, which comes with a good helping of meat well-coated with sauce.
With serene scenery painted on its walls, the lighting, and the stunning plating, this hot(s)pot is an Instagram-worthy restaurant to sate your stomach!
Note: Parking is limited, and each table is allocated only 2 hours.
- Address: 217 M, Jalan Burma, George Town, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 3pm, and again from 5pm to 10pm (Closed on Tuesdays)
- Contact Number: +6013-4391986
7. Chuan Yee Charcoal Steamboat
Operating since 2014, this establishment has served its appetizing charcoal steamboat for over 8 years!
While Chuan Yee Charcoal has a traditional exterior with wooden window frames:
On the inside, you’ll find a modern air-conditioned restaurant when you walk in.
Elegant and airy with a hint of charcoal smokiness in the air, all of this makes Chuan Yee the perfect steamboat place.
Other than the environment, you’ll find that the soup bases here are cooked to perfection.
Even their clear soup base is invigorating and well-infused with flavors. Whilst their milk soup base is a creamy broth that coats your spoon well without being greasy.
What’s more, everything from the meatballs to dumplings here is homemade. And there are over 10 different sauces to choose from!
Note: Reservations are required and it is not easy to find parking here
- Address: 1E, Jalan Kek Chuan, 10400 George Town, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5:30 pm to 11 pm (Closed on Tuesdays)
- Contact Number: +6012-9989185
8. Kham Khee Restaurant
Hidden within a residential area, you can’t miss the distinct Chinese lanterns that decorate the entrance of this restaurant. Apart from these, there is no signboard to mark the restaurant.
It serves up a homely soup base that is flavorful. In fact, Kham Khee has been serving their beef steamboat in Penang since 1969.
Liberal portions aside, you’ll find your soup gets sweeter with every ingredient you add, culminating in a wonderful broth to drink up.
Although they serve other types of meat here, you should really try their paper-thin beef slices that cook within seconds!
This, coupled with the generous additions of brisket, mixed balls, bone marrow and much more create a hearty meal that’ll warm you inside and out!
Note: Reservations are required as they have limited tables available
- Address: 11, Jalan Bunga Rampai, Tanjung Tokong, 11200 Tanjung Bungah, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 10:30 pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact Number: +6016-4823695
Buffet Style Steamboat in Penang
9. Thaitanic BBQ & Steamboat
Looking for a Thai steamboat in Penang but buffet style? Thaitanic BBq and Steamboat serve original Thai dishes with Chinese influences, leaning closer to Thai flavors.
Despite being a steamboat and BBQ joint, the incredible direct ventilation at each table keeps the air clear and in line with the clean and cozy environment (with air-conditioning).
The soup base of choice here is of course, their Tom Yam soup; It’s mild, sour, and tangy in flavor with a sufficient helping of prawns, fish, and squids.
While Thaitanic may be known for their steamboat and BBQ, their a la carte dishes are as authentic as it gets too!
Note: They allocate only 2 hours of mealtime per table
- Address: 1-1-43A, Elit Avenue, Jln Mayang Pasir 3, 11950 Bayan Lepas, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 4pm to 11pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact Number: +6017-9187400
10. The Pink Elephant THAI BBQ & STEAMBOAT
Black walls and dark wooden furniture give off a cool, chic vibe in this hip restaurant that also serves up delicious meals in their Mookata pot – It tastes as good as it looks!
Sufficient overhead vents for the pots along with air-conditioning ensure a comfortable environment.
The Pink Elephant THAI BBQ & STEAMBOAT team really have an eye for detail as their buffet table is clean, pristine, and well organized.
Moreover, their assortment of marinated meats is well-kept in distinct containers.
Not only that, but they also have fatty cuts of pork and fresh seafood that are sure to wow you.
And while their Tom Yam soup base is the go-to, we recommend their plain soup which is milder but just as good.
Sauces are surprising with options like cheese.
But while they have overhead vents for the pots along with air-conditioning, it can be smoky during busy hours.
- Address: No 8,Ground Floor,Lebuh Sungai Pinang 5,Persiaran Karpal Singh 2 Georgetown, 11600 Jelutong, Pulau Pinang.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12 pm to 12 am
- Contact Number: +6013-5125688
Halal Steamboat in Penang
11. Penang Steamboat and Grill (The Mualaf Kopitiam)
At this halal buffet steamboat restaurant in Penang, it costs under RM40 per adult. Besides the price range, the marinated meats are the highlight of dining here.
But while there are many selections of ingredients to choose (e.g., cockles, chicken, prawns, oysters, mutton, beef, mushrooms, etc), the freshness of some of the seafood is questionable.
Drinks are limited but there are desserts like ice cream, cake and kuih.
Large groups can sit together here as there are big tables. Just know that this is an open-air establishment so it can feel stuffy when it is full house. And the walkways are narrow between tables.
Note: Not wheelchair-friendly
- Address: 63, Gurney Dr, Georgetown, 10250 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: 6pm to 12am
- Contact Number: +6016-408 9122
It’s hard to beat the iconic steamboat flavors that have been passed down for centuries,
And we strongly believe that these are among the best steamboat places in Penang to try out!
- 13 Must-Try Restaurants In Penang
- 10 High-Class Restaurants In Penang
- 11 Zesty Penang Asam Laksa Restaurants
- 9 Penang Famous Cendol Stalls
- 11 Tastiest Hokkien Mee In Penang