Monkey Beach Penang goes by a few names. This is the same beach as Penang National Park Monkey Beach, Monkey Island or Teluk Duyung in Malay.
It gets its name from the macaques that hunt for crabs along the beach! Though the beach is not easily accessible from Georgetown, the white sand makes it one of the best beaches in Penang!
Thus, it’s not unusual to see many locals on this beach during weekends and public holidays!
Table of Contents:
- How To Go To Monkey Beach Penang
- Hiking To Monkey Beach Penang
- Monkey Beach Penang Boat
- Monkey Beach Penang Activities
- Camping At Monkey Beach Penang
- Café Or Bars At Monkey Beach
- Monkey Beach Penang Review
- Include Monkey Beach In A Private Day Tour In Penang
How To Go To Monkey Beach Penang
You’ll need at least 40 minutes (or 1.5 hours for the bus) to get to the entrance of Penang National Park in Teluk Bahang from George Town.
Step 1: Getting To Penang National Park
- By car, you can park your car next to the entrance in a guarded open-air lot for RM5.
- Local bus service, Rapid Penang 101 and 102 have routes from Weld Quay Jetty Bus Terminal or KOMTAR to the entrance to Penang National Park in Teluk Bahang. It costs just under RM3!
- As part of a private tour service (See more below)
Step 2: 2 Ways To Get To Monkey Beach From Penang National Park
- Boat – Once you reach Teluk Bahang, you will be approached by boatmen offering their services to take you to Monkey Beach directly by boat.
- Hiking – Your other option is to hike through Penang National Park to Monkey Beach!
Monkey Beach Penang Hiking
Hiking to Monkey Beach usually requires at least 1.5-2 hours one way! It can be very humid along this jungle trail so definitely bring some water along!
Watch your footing as there are tangles of roots from time to time that will make the trail surface uneven!
You’ll likely come across some wildlife like monitor lizards, monkeys and birds during your trek! Keep your distance even if you are tempted to approach them.
After you reach Monkey Beach and had a good look around (maybe even splash in the shallows?):
You can take the extended trail to Muka Head Lighthouse! Which requires another 30-45 minutes (one way) to reach!
Muka Head Lighthouse:
Muka Head Lighthouse is Malaysia’s second-oldest lighthouse and while it’s no long in operation, visitors can climb the spiral staircase to get up to top floor of the lighthouse for some exceptional views!
Monkey Beach Penang Boat
Whether you’re taking a boat to Monkey Beach or back or both:
A boat trip saves considerable time if you were to compare it with hiking! That time can be spent exploring other beaches in the national park.
However, hiking does allow you to appreciate the geography of the mainland a little better! And opportunities to spot some animals!
Get the best of both worlds by hiking in and taking a boat back! Or vice versa!
Monkey Beach Penang Boat Price
You should not have any trouble finding a boat at either Teluk Bahang or Monkey Beach!
The boatmen typically charge by boat rather than by head. It can cost ~RM50 for a boat that sits 10 people!
Monkey Beach Penang Activities
Even if you don’t plan to do much at Monkey Beach, it’s a good idea to bring along a towel, water, snacks and some small change with you!
The beach might tempt you into staying longer!
1. Spot Some Local Wildlife
Bumping into wildlife is a given, especially if you choose to hike to monkey beach!
Just keep quiet and be on the lookout for squirrels, insects, birds, monkeys and monitor lizards!
2. Go On A Picnic At The Beach
Water is an absolute must in your bag and you can bring your own food and an old blanket too for a picnic!
But there should be vendors selling drinks and food at Monkey Beach anyway!
3. Try Some Water Sports
The main section of the beach is less than ideal for relaxing with all the activity going on in the water.
You can join by renting water sports equipment and even quad bikes if you want!
4. Find A Quiet Corner
Walk a bit further along the beach, and you’ll find some rope swings and hammocks. Then, you can proceed to do nothing but just relax!
5. Go Fishing (Only Where Permitted)
Fishing trips (and a BBQ lunch for extra RM35 per pax) with Penang Nature Tour Guide Association costs RM150 per hour for a boat for up to 6 pax!
6. Camp On The Beach! (Advanced Booking Required)
As long as you have your own tent and supplies, it’s almost free to camp on Monkey Beach and the other designated camp sites like at Pantai Kerachut (turtle beach) or Teluk Kampi.
Let the staff at the entrance to the park know that you intend to camp before you fill up the register.
Ask for the location of the Ranger’s Station too. This is where you can get more information on where to camp as well as camping rules.
Monkey Beach Penang Camping (Lazyboys Campsite)
It does cost RM5 if you want to camp at Monkey Beach! But you will have access to a kitchen, toilet and shower facilities!
Café Or Bars At Monkey Beach
Being the most tourist-y beach at Penang National Park has its perks! Unlike the other beaches in the park, this beach has food and drink vendors!
1. Tiger Monkey Bar & Leisure
This is where you can get a beer or mojito after making a detour to the Muka Head Lighthouse or after your hike to Monkey Beach!
If you’re hungry, their fried noodles are delicious too!
2. Lazy Boys Café
Like Tiger Monkey Bar & Leisure, Lazy Boys Café has a laidback atmosphere and a friendly owner too!
This is another recommended place to get some cheap chilled beer or a fresh coconut juice!
3. D’duyung Café
Another simple beachfront food and drinks stall just next to Lazy Boys Café!
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
Monkey Beach Penang Review
What You’ll Like:
- Beautiful bay
- Doable hike for those with moderate fitness
- No entrance fee required
- Great views from the lighthouse!
- Easy to get a boat
Good To Know:
- Not quiet on weekends
- Swimming is at your own risk
- The hike is not recommended for young children
- A guide is needed for groups of more than 10
- Arrange boat transfers in person as there is poor phone signal reception in the national park
- Before entering the park, you must register with your intended trail and estimated return time
- Sign your register again when you exit the park too!
- Penang Botanical Gardens – Visit The Green Lungs Of Penang!
- Fort Cornwallis Penang – UNESCO Heritage Site In George Town
- Entopia By Penang Butterfly Farm – Walk Among Hundreds Of Live Butterflies!
Include Monkey Beach In A Private Day Tour In Penang
There are so many things to do in Penang and Monkey Beach Penang is just one of them!
If you’d like to have a local and experienced guide bring you to Monkey Beach as well as around their hometown, try a private day tour with RayTheTour!
- Comfortable transport (MPV or van)
- Chinese-speaking and English-speaking guides are available
- Flexible Penang day tour itinerary from morning to evening
- We do transfer and tours to Ipoh, Cameron Highlands and Taiping too!
Read more: 4 Best Ways For Getting Around Penang (With All Penang Transport Options)
Monkey Beach Penang is one of the prettiest beaches in Penang. Reason enough to make a trip to Penang National Park if you like being outdoors!
Hike through the scenic jungle trail and chill by the quaint beach afterwards! You can always just take a boat to the beach too!
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.