Batu Ferringhi Penang is another area that’s popular with tourists besides Georgetown! Especially if you enjoy being near the ocean!
Table Of Contents:
- Batu Ferringhi Beach
- Batu Ferringhi Night Market
- Attractions At Batu Ferringhi
- Other Attractions Near To Batu Ferringhi
- Batu Ferringhi Food
- Batu Ferringhi Hotel
- How To Get To Batu Ferringhi Beach
Batu Ferringhi Beach
Take a stroll on the quaint 3km-long beach!
And while it may be tempting to go for a swim in the ocean but please be warned that jellyfish are an occasional sight in these waters.
However as an alternative, Batu Ferringhi offers a myriad of water sports at its beach!
As an alternative activity, Batu Ferringhi offers a myriad of water sports at its beach!
- Ferringhi Sea Sports Co.
- Penang LB watersports
Batu Ferringhi beach activities:
- Jet ski
- Water skiing
- Banana boat
Batu Ferringhi Night Market
The Batu Ferringhi night market is one of the more notable Penang night markets on Penang Island!
Enjoy the sea breeze while browsing the stalls selling all sorts of knick-knacks including some rather questionable branded goods! There are handicrafts for sale too.
You can even pick up essential travel accessories like phone chargers and beach wear!
Expect to have to bargain for lower prices! And watch out for cars as this is a very lively area.
- Location: Jalan Pantai Batu, Taman Pantai Batu, 11200 Tanjong Bungah, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7pm to 12am
Another night market to check out:
Ferringhi Night Walk Bazaar
Batu Ferringhi Attractions
Having experienced the beach and market, we can now focus on other activities to do at Batu Ferringhi!
1. Adventure Zone
In between Shangri-La’s Golden Sands and Rasa Sayang:
Adventure Zone should keep your kids busy for a while! The air-conditioned complex has a dedicated space for toddlers.
The main area is for older kids. With safety-certified slides, climbing gym equipment and more, 2 hours here will fly fast!
It is a must to have long-sleeved tops and pants/ leggings for the kids for some of the slides. Bring your own to save on costs.
- Location: Jalan Batu Ferringhi, Kampung Tanjung Huma, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 1pm; and again from 2pm to 6pm
- Contact: +604-886 1911
- Price: RM30-50 per child (for a 2-hour session) depending on the day! Cheaper if Guests of Golden Sands pay RM24 per child
- Hotel guests are entitled to a discount.
- Adults can enter for free to supervise their own kids
Read more: 21 Fun Things To Do In Penang With Kids (Complete Guide) + Food & Hotels
2. Teddyville Museum
Kids might be more interested in the cute teddies, but the fun displays showcase typical local scenes in Penang. As well as historical and cultural scenes!
They have teddies of all sizes, and even vintage ones from the 1900s! You can take selfies with giant teddy bears in their set ups too.
Note: The museum is on the ground floor of Double Tree Resort
- Location: 56, Jalan Low Yat, Puncak Ria, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 6pm
- Contact: +6016-550 5949
- Price: RM36 (Adult), RM29 (Student), RM25 (Child under 12 years old)
Read more: Top 21 Penang Museum To Pop Into (Especially Items 8 & 13)
3. Yahong Art Gallery
Did you know that there’s a giant arts center at Batu Ferringhi?
Chuah Thean Teng is renowned pioneer of modern batik printing. Some of his works feature here along with the works of other Asian artists!
This is an impressive collection worth seeing and if the owner is around, he is usually down for a chat.
Traditional Chinese handicraft (like jewelry, wooden carvings and pewter works) and batik are for sale too.
- Location: 58 D, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, Kampung Batu Feringgi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm (Closed on Sundays)
- Contact: +604-881 1251
4. Batu Ferringhi Waterfall
Chin Farm Waterfall (or Batu Ferringhi Waterfall) is accessible to guests staying at the Bayview Hotel or Hard Rock Hotel Penang.
It may not be spectacular during the dry season but the water is clear and cool!
To get there, you can drive up to the base of the waterfall (5 minutes’ drive).
Or take the short hike past the farm and over a stream via a bridge with partial steps to the waterfall. Just watch your step!
Location: Lot 484 & 485, Jalan Batu Ferringhi Batu Ferringhi, 11100 Penang, Penang Island
Note: There’s no toilet here! Use Google Maps to find the waterfall.
5. Batu Ferringhi Massage Parlors
Feet hurt from walking too much? You might want to check into a massage centre!
There happen to be many massage parlors across the night market. Some are open until midnight!
- Chi, The Spa (Rasa Sayang Resort)
- Relax Massage And Fish Spa
- Lovisa Beauty Spa
Read more: Penang Nightlife – 23 Best Things To Do In Penang At Night
Other Attractions Near Batu Ferringhi
Once you’re done exploring Batu Ferringhi, there are other attractions waiting over in Teluk Bahang!
1. Tropical Spice Garden (TSG Spice Fam)
Why not try an outdoor museum for a change? But in this case, with tropical plants on display rather than artifacts or paintings!
There are audio guides or guides if you need help distinguishing the 500 species of herb, spices and tropical plants here! Tours last between 1 to 1.5 hours.
And you can pick up perfumes, essential oils, spices, and tea from their on-site shop as well. Additionally, there is the beautiful rustic on-site café (Flora Cafe).
Interestingly, there is a membership program and members can camp at the farm!
- Location: Lot 595 Mukim, 2, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 4pm (Open until 6pm from Friday to Sunday)
- Contact: +6012-423 6797
- Price: RM28 (Entrance for adults), RM31 (Audio guide), RM48 (Guided tour fee)
2. Penang Batik Factory
See how the workers of this open-air factory create intricate pieces using hand-painting and block-printing techniques!
For those that are curious, you can try painting a handkerchief.
The on-site gift shop (with air-conditioning) has many items for sale too:
- Small paintings
- Large tapestries
Prices are steep but after seeing the work that goes behind making them, you might find them justifiable.
- Location: 651 Mk 2 S.W.D, Teluk Bahang, 11050, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 5pm
- Contact: +604-885 1284
3. Penang National Park
Albeit small, this national park has enough jungle/ beach trails to last a full day out!
The other option is to get a boat from the entrance of the park to drop you at one of the beaches instead.
Beware that foreigners pay a lot more for the entrance fees (RM50 per person) to the national park, on top of the exorbitant boat fees.
Highlights of Penang National Park:
- Monkey Beach
- Camping overnight at allocated sites (Requires a fee and permission)
- Turtle sanctuary and meromictic lake at Pantai Keracut
- Muka Head Light House
- Opportunities to see local wildlife like monitor lizards and monkeys!
Read more about Penang National Park.
4. Penang Butterfly Farm
Entopia is a research and breeding centre for butterflies and other members of the insect kingdom!
The well-maintained attraction will likely take you 3 hours to fully explore. Since it has numerous exhibits as well as an enclosed atrium.
For more pictures and prices, read about our experience at Entopia by Penang Butterfly Farm.
- Location: No.830, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 5pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +604-888 8111
5. Escape Theme Park
Perhaps Teluk Bahang’s most famous attraction:
ESCAPE Theme Park is an integrated water park and adventure theme park in a natural setting! Both parks have rides and activities that are suitable for the entire family!
Check out our experience at ESCAPE Theme Park for more information and photos.
- Location: 828, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050 Tanjung Bungah, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Price (Online day ticket): ~RM142 (Adult)
Note: It’s cheaper if you spend multiple days at the park or if you buy tickets in advance.
Batu Ferringhi Food
Batu Ferringhi Restaurants
All 5 of the restaurants listed here have long opening hours! So finding a place to eat at Batu Ferringhi is a breeze!
1. Long Beach Food Court (Long Beach Café)
This is a covered hawker center where you can find ~20 stalls selling fast food, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Malaysian and other Asian food!
It’s only open for dinner (6pm to 12am) and you can order alcohol here.
We will warn you that some of the food is far from amazing (e.g., watery laksa) but there are some decent options. Like boiled octopus, BBQ chicken wings, and char kuay teow.
Prices are high compared to the average hawker center too. But this is not surprising since Long Beach Cafe is a tourist magnet.
2. Rubin Mardini Cafe & Restaurant
Fancy having Turkish food? Rubin Mardini Café & Restaurant is run by a Turkish man together with his Malaysian wife.
- Greek salad
- Falafel platter
- Chicken and Lamb Shish Kebab
- Sahlab milk drink
- Mutton Tirshik
- Yemeni Mandy lamb
Besides the food, another advantage of dining here is their high standard of cleanliness.
- Location: No 591, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, Kampung Batu Feringgi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 11pm
- Contact: +6011-1121 7378
3. Ferringhi Grill At Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort And Spa
Despite the name, Ferringhi Grill is actually a fine dining restaurant with wonderful window views!
French cuisine prevails in the menu. As well as steaks! Expect nothing but impeccable service and a great selection of wine to accompany your meal!
- Location: Mezzanine Level, Rasa Wing Lobby, Batu Feringgi Beach, Kampung Tanjung Huma, 11100 Penang, Penang Island
- Opening Hours:
- Daily from 7am to 10:30am for Rasa Wing guests only
- Daily from 5pm to 10:30pm
- Contact: +604-888 8888
- Dress Code: Smart casual with long pants and covered shoes for men.
4. Enca Cafe & Restaurant
What Enca Café & Restaurant lacks in ambiance, it makes up for in its menu! Superb Indian dishes that are made to order will not disappoint!
And at reasonable prices too! Try their butter chicken, chicken satay and garlic cheese naan!
Note: Let them know your preferred spiciness level!
- Location: Opposite Bayview Hotel, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 12am
- Contact: +604-881 4101
5. Restaurant Ferringhi Garden (Ferringhi Coffee Garden)
We simply have to mention this restaurant for its beautiful outdoor dining space! They serve good Western and Asian food. You can order wine as well.
It’s pricey but you can dine in their charming garden. The service is commendable too.
Note: If you want to cool off, they have indoor seating with air-conditioning too!
- Location: Kampung Batu Feringgi, 11050 Batu Ferringhi, Penang
- Opening Hours: 5pm to 10:30pm
- Contact: +604-881 1196
Read more: 11 Best Asam Laksa In Penang – Satisfy Your Tastebuds With This Iconic Malaysian Dish!
Batu Ferringhi Cafés
Batu Ferringhi has some reputable cafes ideal for breakfast, lunch or tea! A couple of them double up as bars in the evening!
1. Miami Cafe Beachfront
There’s no air-conditioning here. Instead, there’s a laid-back feel at this open-air café serving iced tea, iced coffee, local snacks and dishes!
Surprisingly, they have beer and Wi-Fi!
- Location: Beach, 19 Mk 17, 11100 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 9:30pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +604-899 4862
2. Living Room Cafe Bar Gallery
A lovely place to spend the evening too with a busy bar and live music! Local dishes like beef rendang and chicken satay are favorites from the extensive menu.
Note: If you have any dietary requirements, just let the staff know!
- Location: 43-C Batu Ferringhi 11100 Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 2:30pm and again from 6pm to 10:30pm (Closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays)
- Contact: +6012-589 9136
3. Hard Rock Cafe Penang
At the ground floor of Hard Rock Hotel Penang is a snazzy café/ bar where you can get generous servings of American food and house cocktails!
Spot some music memorabilia while you’re here!
Note: The band starts playing from 10:30pm
- Location: Batu Ferringhi Beach, 11100 Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 11pm (Closes at 12am on Fridays and Saturdays)
- Contact: +604-886 8050
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
Batu Ferringhi Bars
End the day at any of these bars and watch the sunset at the beach!
1. Feringghi Bar At Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort And Spa
Ferringhi Bar has sunset views, food and drinks. The newest addition to this bar is a dedicated whisky bar with more than 100 labels!
Note: Guests at the hotel can go for the cocktail hour at the Rasa Wing Lounge too!
- Location: 7-11 Batu Feringgi, 1, Lorong Sungai Emas, Kampung Tanjung Huma, 11100 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5pm to 12am
- Contact: +604-888 8888
2. Frandy’s Beach Bar And Restaurant
Frandy’s is a welcoming beach bar right on Batu Ferringhi beach. And at a convenient walking distance from Bayview Hotel.
If you’re hungry, you can partake in their local and western menu! Else, sit back and relax to the live band as they belt out reggae tunes. They take song requests by the way.
This is the place to chill on the beach with a beer in hand too.
- Location: 338, Jalan Tanjung Bungah, Taman Tanjung Bunga, 11050 Tanjung Bungah, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 11pm (Closes at 12am from Friday to Sunday)
- Contact: +6016-498 7885
3. Borabora @ Ferringhi
Bora Bora by Sunset keeps it simple and has highly-sought after tables and chairs on the sand in full view of the sunset! It is the evening fire show that draws the crowds too.
And while there’s no live band, there is music playing! They make great cocktails and local dishes too!
- Location: Lot 415, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 12:30pm to 1am (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +604-885 1313
4. Sigi’s Bar And Grill On The Beach At Golden Sands Resort
For seafood and live music, head on over to Sigi’s! Which also doubles as a great vantage point for looking out to the beach!
They have buffets on Sundays, serving grilled meat, pizza, pasta, soup, salad and more! Staff is also approachable. Staff is also approachable.
- Location: Batu Feringgi Beach, 11100 Penang, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 3pm to 11pm
- Contact: +604-886 1852
Read more: 11 Best Seafood Restaurants In Penang (Recommended By Locals)
Batu Ferringhi Hotels
1. Zen Rooms Eden Parade
Convenient for those with their own cars, Zen Rooms Eden Parade may be in an old building but the interior is new with bright modern rooms!
And the breakfast of nasi lemak is something to look forward to!
Note: 6-minute walk or 3 minutes’ drive to the beach
- Address: No 1-9B, Eden Parade 1, Jalan Sungai Emas, Kawasan Perumahan Sungai Emas, 11100 Penang
- Contact: +603-9212 1772
- Price Range: From RM85 (2 Pax)
2. Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La, Penang
You may not even have time to go to the beach at this 4-star beachfront resortwith so many great facilities on-site:
There’s a mini water park, a tennis court, a gym, 2 outdoor swimming pools and a Jacuzzi!
All of the elegant rooms have scenic views of the sea or surrounding hills too.
- Address: Jalan Batu Ferringhi, Batu Feringgi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Contact: +604-886 1911
- Price Range: From RM436 (2 Pax)
3. Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Gorgeous surroundings and rooms (as well as a huge swimming pool with slides) will make you forget how far the hotel is from Georgetown!
The beach is close too and there are 3 on-site dining options!
- Address: Jalan Batu Ferringhi, 11100 George Town, Penang Island
- Contact: +604-881 1711
- Price Range: From RM325 (2 Pax)
4. Parkroyal Penang Resort
Another seaside resort with incredible landscaping, this hotel has an impressive pool with slides too!
And the on-site Cinnamon restaurant means you don’t have to leave the property in search of amazing local food!
- Address: Batu Ferringhi Beach, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Contact: +604-886 2288
- Price Range: From RM370 (2 Pax)
Read more: 11 Exceptional Airbnb In Penang
How To Get To Batu Ferringhi Beach In Penang
Don’t have your own transport to get around Georgetown or Penang Island? Look into these options:
1. Getting To Batu Ferringhi By Bus
Rapid Penang bus service will be your best friend if you intend to rely on public transport to get around Penang Island!
The fares are very affordable (<RM5 one way).
Georgetown To Batu Ferringhi Beach:
101 Bus route:
Jetty (Pengkalan Weld) – Masjid Kapitan Keling – Love Lane – Pasar Chowrasta – Komtar Terminal – Gurney Paragon & Plaza – Batu Ferringhi – Teluk Bahang
- Operating Hours: 5:30am to 9:55pm
- Frequency: Every 15 minutes
- Total Duration: 70 minutes
- Number Of Stops: 83
Penang Airport To Georgetown To Batu Ferringhi:
102 Bus route:
Penang International Airport – Snake Temple – Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal – Penang Times Square – Komtar Terminal – Gurney Paragon & Plaza – Batu Ferringhi – Teluk Bahang
- Operating Hours: 6:00am to 11:15pm
- Frequency: Every 60 minutes
- Total Duration: 111 minutes
- Number Of Stops: 111
2. Getting To Batu Ferringhi By Grab
While you can still find taxis at the airport and touristy areas, Grab is usually cheaper, and the rates are fixed (compared to some taxis that do not use meters).
Georgetown To Batu Ferringhi By Grab:
- Duration: Around 30-40 minutes
- Price: ~RM20-30
Penang Airport To Batu Ferringhi By Grab:
- Duration: Around 50-60 minutes
- Price: ~RM40-60
3. Travelling Around Penang By Private Tour Service
Private tour service, RayTheTour offers day tours in Penang, Ipoh and Cameron Highlands!
You can trust them to bring you around with friendly local guides!
Other reasons to book with RayTheTour:
- No hidden charges
- Direct pick ups straight from your hotel and back after the tour!
- Flexible itinerary between 8:30am to 8pm
- MPVs and vans!
- You can request for an English-speaking or Chinese-speaking guide!
- The itinerary is up to you! Or you can leave it to the guides!
Hop on WhatsApp to book with RayTheTour!
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
- Best Way To Travel From Langkawi To Penang (All Methods + Cheap Option)
Batu Ferringhi has its own charms that you can’t find in Georgetown! Most of the attractions here are outdoors. Like the beach or the nearby Penang National Park!
And don’t think that you will be missing out on food either! Batu Ferringhi has ample eateries and bars to check out from sunrise to after sunset.