Travel from Langkawi to Penang takes less time than you would expect! You can easily visit both places in the same trip!
Penang’s Georgetown and Penang Hill are enough to keep you busy for a few days! But if you think you will miss the sea, don’t worry! Penang has beaches too!
Take some time to review all the transport options to Penang before you book anything!
Table Of Contents:
- Langkawi To Penang By Flight
- Direct Ferry From Langkawi To Penang
- Langkawi To Penang By Ferry & Bus
- Getting Around Penang
Langkawi To Penang Distance
There is a point-to-point distance of 116km between Langkawi and Penang.
Far enough for there to be flights between them!
1. Langkawi To Penang By Flight
With a total duration of roughly 40 minutes, flights offer the fastest way to travel from Langkawi to Penang. An obvious choice if speed is your priority!
1.1. Langkawi To Penang Flight Operators
5-6 flight services run this route every day! From morning to evening.
It’s possible to get a one-way flight ticket for less than RM100! Helps if you book your flight in advance!
- Malaysia Airlines
When you reach Penang International Airport, you can choose to take any of the following options to explore Penang island!
- Public bus system – Take bus numbers AT, 102, 306, 401 or 401E
- Grab/Taxi – Use the Grab app to find a driver or just find a metered taxi outside the airport entrance!
- Car rental – Rent a car at the airport and drive into town!
- Private tour service (RayTheTour) – Day-time transport with a local guide and flexible itinerary!
- Short travel time
- Need to allocate at least 45 minutes to check in before boarding the flight.
- Must arrange different transport to get to the airport and the final destination after reaching Penang International Airport!
- Most expensive option
2. Direct Ferry From Langkawi To Penang
But what if you can’t find a cheap flight for your dates?
This next option is only for those who like traveling by sea and have some time on their hands!
Langkawi Ferry Services run a direct service twice a day that departs from Kuah Jetty straight to the Marina Cruise Terminal in Penang.
It does take 3 hours to make this crossing so bear that in mind!
2.1. Ferry From Langkawi To Penang Ticket Price
Purchase tickets for this ferry online or the ferry ticket office and travel agencies!
Or check with your accommodation on Langkawi. There’s a good chance that they sell the tickets too!
- Best to get your ticket at least a day before your intended departure!
- The earliest you can buy a ticket online is 6 months in advance! The latest is 2 hours before the departure time.
- Double-check the latest fares and schedules before you book!
- When taking the ferry, bring a jacket! The air-conditioning is up really high!
2.2. Langkawi To Penang Ferry Time
Departures are only at 10:30am and 3pm every day.
In general, it usually rains in the afternoon or evening in Malaysia. So it’s advisable to take the morning slot!
- Tickets are fairly easy to acquire
- Convenient departure times
- Long travel time
- Kuah Jetty is ~20km from the main touristy area in Langkawi (Pantai Cenang). There are no buses. A one-way taxi trip can cost between RM10 – 60.
3. Langkawi To Penang By Ferry & Bus Combination
As you can see, taking the direct ferry isn’t a very favorable way of getting from Langkawi to Penang! Unless you personally like being on a ferry for that long!
However, there are 2 more ways we need to talk about before we end this post!
The Cheapest Way to Travel from Langkawi to Penang?
You’re clearly trading time for money if you go with any of these routes!
While cheap, both of these methods require an approximate duration of 4 hours. And will rely on transport by ferry and bus!
3.1. Langkawi To Penang By Ferry & Bus Via Kuala Perlis
Instead of getting the ferry to Penang, you can take one to the state across from Langkawi, Kuala Perlis.
Through this method, the ferry journey is significantly shorter using high speed boats!
Where Is Kuala Perlis?
Kuala Perlis is a port town with mangroves in the north-west corner of Peninsula Malaysia. It shares a border with Thailand.
Step 1: Take The Ferry From Langkawi To Kuala Perlis
The boat schedule has regular departures. With boats leaving every hour!
Buy tickets online at the official website. Alternately, you can get tickets from the physical counter at Kuah.
Step 2: Take The Bus From Kuala Perlis To Butterworth
Once at the Kuala Perlis Ferry Terminal, walk to the bus station (Kuala Perlis Bus Terminal).
It should just take you about 7 minutes to do so as the station is about 500 metres away!
Prepare yourself for a bus trip of around 2 hours, 30 minutes.
|Operators||First Bus||Last Bus||Price|
|Cepat Express||6:30PM||6:30PM||RM 21.90|
|Kesatuan Express||6:45PM||6:45PM||RM 20.00|
|Sri Maju Express||6:45PM||7:30PM||RM 22.00|
Drop-off Point: Penang Sentral Bus Terminal in Butterworth
Step 3: Take A Ferry From Butterworth To Georgetown
If Butterworth is your destination, you can skip this step!
Else, take another ferry by Rapid Penang to George Town! The fare is surprisingly cheap!
And the ferry terminal is next to the bus station in Butterworth.
Latest ferry schedule.
- Total price is ~RM40; Cheaper than a flight (on a weekend or public holiday)
- Regular departure times
- Short ferry trip between Langkawi and Kuala Perlis
- Close to Hat Yai – a shopping town in Thailand
- Requires multiple transits including 2 ferry trips
- Bus journey is quite long
- Total journey time is around 4 hours
3.2. Langkawi To Penang By Ferry & Bus Via Kuala Kedah
The last method we need to talk about will have you transiting in Kuala Kedah. Which somewhere between Kuala Perlis and Penang!
Similarly, you’ll need to split the journey into 2 – 3 parts accordingly.
Where Is Kuala Kedah?
Kuala Kedah is a fishing port at the mouth of Kedah River. There is a historic fort (Kota Kuala Kedah) here.
Step 1: Take A Ferry From Langkawi To Kuala Kedah
High speed boats take little under 2 hours to reach Kuala Kedah from Langkawi. The frequency of these trips is between 1-2 hours.
Get tickets online.
Step 2: Take The Bus From Kuala Kedah To Alor Setar
After docking at Kuala Kedah Ferry Terminal, you can either take a bus or taxi to Alor Setar Terminal Bas Shahab Perdana.
A journey of ~13km and 25 minutes’ drive away.
You can also opt to get a taxi (~RM15) straight to Alor Setar. With a comparable duration of 20 minutes.
Step 3: Take The Bus From Alor Setar To Sungai Nibong
Next, from Shahab Perdana Bus Terminal, you will need to take the bus for another 2 hours on to Sungai Nibong!
Step 4: Take The Bus From Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal To Georgetown
Many local and interstate buses pass through Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal (Terminal Bas Ekspres Sungai Nibong).
The bus ride by Rapid Penang from Sungai Nibong to George Town should take about an hour.
To find the bus stop, just exit the bus terminal and locate it on Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah.
Look out for these bus numbers to take you into George Town:
- Buses 102 and 401 stop close to or at KOMTAR too
- Bus 101 goes all the way to Batu Ferringhi passing through Gurney Drive
- Bus 401 goes into Little India from the jetty
- Total price is under RM40 – Cheapest option
- Reasonable departure times
- Can visit the historical fort at Kuala Kedah
- Ferry trip from Langkawi to Kuala Kedah is around 2 hours
- Total journey time is more than 4 hours
- Buses to Alor Setar are very old
- Journey of 4 parts
Read more: 15 Best Hotels In Penang For An Unforgettable Stay (From Budget To Luxury)
Getting Around Penang
Your trip to Penang can be a whole lot smoother with a private tour service like RayTheTour!
Why You Should Book A Tour With Us:
- We’ll follow your Penang itinerary or keep it flexible with no fixed stops and we’ll drop you off at your Penang hotel after the tour too!
- English-speaking and Chinese-speaking guides
- No hidden charges!
- Comfy and safe transport (MPV or van)
- And we do trips to Ipoh, Taiping and Cameron Highlands too!
- 4 Best Ways For Getting Around Penang (With All Penang Transport Options)
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
Considering all the options, taking a flight from Langkawi to Penang will save you a lot of hassle!
Nonetheless, you may want to save that money by taking the ferry to Penang, Kuala Kedah or Kuala Perlis rather than flying!
Just note that travel from Langkawi to Penang by land or sea will take around 3-4 hours!
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.