A Penang trip itinerary can be a tiresome thing to plan! Because there’s so much to see and do! Even if you just limit your itinerary to Penang’s George Town!
For example, there’s enough to keep you busy from morning to night if you’re wondering what to do in Penang in 3 days!
And if you don’t have that many days in Penang, stick to your interests! Whether it’s the outdoors, museums or food!
Table Of Contents:
- Penang Itinerary
- One Day
- 2 Days
- 3 Days
- 4 Days
- 5 Days
- For The Family
- Best Time To Visit Penang
- Where To Stay In Penang?
- Getting A Local Penang Tour
The classic Penang itinerary usually includes the following highlights (in no particular order):
- Penang food
- Penang Hill (and The Habitat)
- Kek Lok Si Temple
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (or The Blue Mansion)
- ESCAPE Theme Park
- Khoo Kongsi
- Penang Street Art
- Clan Jetties of Penang
- Little India
How Long To Stay In Penang
Honesty, you can’t see much in 1 day. Or 2 days, for that matter!
3 days is the best duration to see the top attractions in Penang! So try to consider this into your two weeks Malaysia itinerary!
Still have doubts? Read on!
Penang Itinerary 1 Day
Sometimes, you just have less than 24 hours before you have to go elsewhere! And that’s okay, just keep in mind you’ll probably want to come back to Penang again!
Hopefully, you’re visiting on a weekday and not a weekend! That would cut down on the waiting time at popular hawker stalls significantly!
Penang George Town Itinerary – Day 1
For your first day, aim to spend the whole day in George Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site! There are a lot of things to do in Georgetown Penang.
- Make your way to the historic centre of Penang, George Town!
- Depending how much time you’ve got, you can find Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi.
- Stroll (or hop on a trishaw) along Penang’s heritage streets, Armenian Street and Love Lane where you can spot some street murals too!
- Continue to Little India
- Have lunch in Little India (Woodlands Vegetarian Restaurant)
- If you have time to kill, step into the Sri Mahamariamman Temple
- Next, admire the lovely Penang Peranakan Mansion (Free guided tours at 11:30am and 3:30pm) or have some giggles at the Wonder Food Museum instead!
- Chew Jetty or Tan Jetty – There are many clan jetties of Penang but these two are the most picturesque!
- Dinner option #1: Village Fish Head Bee Hoon by Pengkalan Weld!
- Dinner option #2: Alternatively, you can go to Gurney Drive Hawker Centre for dinner and some sea breeze along the shopping plaza here!
Penang Itinerary 2 Days
Day 1 follows the previous itinerary. And in Day 2, visit the main attractions in Ayer Itam, Penang!
First night in Penang: Stay anywhere between George Town and Ayer Itam. Especially if you want to see the sunrise at Penang Hill!
Penang Ayer Itam Itinerary – Day 2
There are 2 highlights for this day at Ayer Itam – Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si Temple!
These are very renowned Penang attractions so try as much as possible to visit on a weekday instead!
- Go to Ayer Itam – Via public transport, allow at least 2 hours. If you have a car, it takes 30 minutes from George Town!
- Start early if you want to hike up to Penang Hill from Penang Botanical Gardens or you can take the train up (preferably before 8am).
- The main attraction at Penang Hill is The Habitat with guided nature walks, a long canopy walkway and a spectacular 360 degrees viewing platform, Curtis Crest!
- To beat the crowds, try to complete your visit before noon! Then, it’s on to Kek Lok Si Temple!
- Hopefully, the queue isn’t too long at Penang Ayer Itam Laksa, just before the temple!
- Explore Kek Lok Si Temple (Approximately 1-2 hours required)
- Freshen up at your Penang hotel.
- Dinner option #1: 888 Hokkien Mee at Lebuh Pesgrave
- Dinner option #2: Time to try some more of that delicious Penang food at Chulia Street Night Hawker Stalls (wanton mee, assam laksa, popiah, char kway teow, lor bak, etc)
- See the sunset from the beach at Penang Avatar Secret Garden (Lights turn on at 7pm).
- Hit the scenic Straits Quay Marina Mall – always good for a harbor stroll, coffee or a nightcap!
Read more: 11 Best Night Market In Penang – Monday To Sunday (Especially #5)
Penang Itinerary 3 Days
Add this plan to the previous 2-day itinerary.
Day 3 allows you more time to appreciate George Town and its British colonial past! And to see one of Penang’s prominent beaches!
Second night in Penang: Stay anywhere in George Town
Penang Batu Ferringhi Itinerary – Day 3
Start the day with a tour of notable structures around Penang! As evening approaches, make the journey to Batu Ferringhi.
After breakfast in Penang, venture around George Town to see Penang’s British colonial buildings and other famous landmarks:
- Goddess of Mercy Temple Penang
- George’s Anglican Church
- Penang State Museum
- Penang High Court
- Town Hall
- City Hall
- Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower
- Fort Cornwallis
- Have lunch in George Town. (e.g. Esplanade Park Food Court for Hameed Pata Mee Sotong!)
- Travel to and have a tour of Tanjung Bungah Floating Mosque
- 10 minutes’ drive away is Batu Ferringhi beach with a water park (Wet World Wild), and kayak, jet ski or banana boat rentals (Waverunner Beach Chalet)
- Dinner option #1: Romantic garden setting at Ferringhi Garden
- Dinner option #2: Long Beach Food Court (Char kway teow, satay, fresh seafood, etc )
- Browse the Batu Feringghi Night Market (Open from 7pm)
- Retire early to be fully rested for the next day!
Penang Itinerary 4 Days
After 3 days of checking out George Town, Ayer Itam and Batu Ferringhi, it’s time to head to the west coast of Penang!
Third night in Penang: Stay in Batu Ferringhi
Penang Teluk Bahang Itinerary – Day 4
4 days in Penang gives you an extra day to fully immerse yourself in more nature-related places of interest in Penang! Like Penang National Park!
- Have breakfast or take your breakfast with you to Penang National Park (Open from 8am). Decide ahead whether you’d like to hike through the park or take a boat transfer.
- At the entrance of the Penang National Park, register before you start your hike (1 to 1.5 hours with moderate fitness) or get on the boats! There is no entrance fee for the park.
- Sit down to a picnic at scenic Monkey Beach; Climb up to Muka Head Lighthouse to get the blood flowing!
- Take a boat ride to Pantai Keracut (Turtle Beach) to stop at the turtle sanctuary and glimpse the meromictic lake! Penang National Park closes at 6pm.
- If you get back around 3pm, you still have time to take a peek at Entopia by Penang Butterfly Farm (Closes at 6pm)
- Of course, you can always stop here and call it a day!
- Or, you can see where the locals enjoy their evening walks at Teluk Bahang Dam (Closed at 7:30pm)! Hike to the top for great views!
- Dinner option #1: TaiTong Seafood Restaurant (Typical Chinese seafood restaurant but price is higher than average)
- Dinner option #2: Fishing Village Seafood (Family-run restaurant with good food and high prices)
Penang Itinerary 5 Days
If you still have energy for an additional day to the earlier Penang 4 days 3 nights itinerary, this last day will ensure some unforgettable experiences in your memories of Penang!
Fourth night in Penang: Stay in Teluk Bahang
Penang Teluk Bahang Itinerary – Day 5
Spend most of the day at Escape theme park trying out the high-rope obstacle course, slides, zip lines and more!
Keep the last 3 hours for getting to the airport and as buffer for any unforeseen circumstances.
Penang Itinerary For The Family
Visiting Penang with kids in tow need not be complicated!
The following places will enable your kids to unleash their pent-up energy! Or learn about their surroundings!
- Adventure Zone (Batu Ferringhi)
- Adventure Play at Escape Theme Park (Teluk Bahang)
- Entopia by Penang Butterfly Farm (Teluk Bahang)
- Tech Dome at KOMTAR Penang
Landmarks/ Penang Attractions
- Penang Hill and Funicular Railway
- Kek Lok Si Temple (Ayer Itam)
Other Interesting Places
- Avatar Secret Garden
- Hard Rock Hotel – The variety of pools and slides here almost feels like a water park!
- Penang Museums (Teddyville Museum or Wonder Food Museum)
Read more: Penang Nightlife – 23 Best Things To Do In Penang At Night
Best Time To Visit Penang
The best time to visit Penang is towards the end of the year. Think mid-November to mid-February!
Daily temperatures are more favorable and there is festive cheer in the air!
But most of the year is warm and humid with minimal variation except for the amount of rain. Rainy season is between May to April and September to mid-November!
Where To Stay In Penang?
It’s hard to decide where to stay in Penang when there are so many options!
We’ll make it a little easier for you with this appealing selection of the best hotels in Penang!
1. Budget Option
1.1. ZEN Rooms Eden Parade
An affordable hotel in Batu Ferringhi with clean rooms and a strategic location close to eateries, a convenience store and the night market!
1.2. Chulia Mansion
In the midst of George Town attractions, the elegant rooms and fine details at Chulia Mansion are an alternative if The Blue Mansion (Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion) is out of your budget!
1.3. Eco Capsule Resort, Teluk Bahang, Penang
Although unsuitable for families with young children or elders, Eco Capsule Resort is simple rustic living without having to do away with air-conditioning!
It’s close to the main Teluk Bahang attractions too!
2. Mid-Range Option
2.1. Areca Hotel Penang
Location-wise, you will be getting your money’s worth with this hotel as it is in George Town close to shopping centers (KOMTAR), eateries as well as China Town!
Rooms are beautiful, cozy and clean.
2.2. Lost Paradise Resort
Big rooms, Bali vibes and a delightful outdoor infinity pool with sea views! The only downside is there’s no private beach!
10 minutes’ drive from Batu Ferringhi!
2.3. Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La
Next to KOMTAR, this high-rise hotel delivers when it comes to service!
Recent renovations, food haunts, modern rooms, a swimming pool and a fitness centre are all reasons to book Hotel Jen Penang!
3. Luxury Option
3.1. Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion
A heritage mansion turned boutique hotel in George Town?
At The Blue Mansion, you’ll be treated to Peranakan luxury, delicious breakfast and complimentary evening tours!
3.2. Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa, Penang
It’s a short drive (3 minutes) from Rasa Sayang to Batu Ferringhi.
Even so, get ready to be spoilt with wonderful service and surroundings at this 5-star hotel with its own private beach!
3.3. G Hotel Gurney
G Hotel Gurney is a clear first choice for keen shoppers (Gurney Plaza) and it is walking distance to Gurney Drive Hawker Centre!
You will likely return for the classy environment and great service!
Read more: 11 Best Shopping Malls In Penang To Visit – Newest & Biggest!
Getting Around Penang With A Local Tour Guide
Logistics is a crucial factor in planning your Penang trip!
Get it done without the stress of planning and waiting when you use a private tour service like RayTheTour!
Other benefits of our private tour service:
- We have English-speaking and Chinese-speaking local guides!
- Customize your trip! Go where you want to go from morning to evening without delays!
- Pick up straight from your hotel or the airport!
- If you want, we can take you to Ipoh, Taiping and Cameron Highlands too!
- We use MPVs and vans to conduct our tours
- How To Get From Penang Airport To Georgetown (4 Easy Ways)
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
- Best Way To Travel From Langkawi To Penang (All Methods + Cheap Option)
This complete Penang itinerary guide starts with a basic 1 day plan. You can extend it to a 5 day 4 nights plan easily to cover George Town, Ayer Itam, Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang!
See the best of Penang attractions! Experience the food, heritage, culture, nature and even family-friendly activities that Penang has to offer!