Seeking out fun things to do in Penang with kids? As a top tourist destination in Malaysia, Penang has a lot up its sleeve to engage all members of the family!
Explore Penang’s rich heritage and throw in some time for eating, shopping, outdoor activities or relaxing at the beach while you’re there.
A Penang family trip need not be expensive or take up more than a weekend either!
Table Of Contents:
- Things To Do In Penang With Kids
- Best Places To Eat In Penang
- Best Place To Stay In Penang With Kids
- Getting Around Penang With A Local Tour Guide
21 Things To Do In Penang With Kids
We’ve got a line-up of family-friendly activities in Penang to get the ball rolling. There are multiple theme parks, museums, parks, farms and more!
Get The Kids All Tired Out (But In The Best Way)
Kids can easily spend a full day at any of these locations:
1. Adventure Zone Penang
2 hours is enough to have a fantastic time at this 10,000 sq ft indoor air-conditioned complex!
The wide variety of play equipment and custom-made UK slides will delight kids (and adults)!
- No healthy snacks
- Friendly staff
- Get discount if you stay at Golden Sands Resort
- Children under 4 have free access to toddler play space
- Suitable for kids aged 5-12
- Adults can supervise for free – minimum 1 adult for 6 children
- Good party venue!
- Long sleeves and stockings required to enter
- Location: Jalan Batu Ferringhi, Kampung Tanjung Huma, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 1pm, and again from 3pm to 6pm
- Contact: +604-886 1911 ext. 7874
2. Urban Playz Gurney Paragon
On the 4th floor of Penang shopping mall Gurney Paragon Mall, is an outdoor pedal go-kart course and an indoor rope and obstacle course under Urban Playz.
There are single go-karts but adults can ride the double go-karts with their kids!
Indoor activities that they have include:
- Climbing gym
- Snook ball
- High rope obstacle course
- Kids under 120cm have to be accompanied by an adult
- Suitable for 4-18 years old
- Combo packages are available
- Location: 163D-4-01 & A1, Persiaran Gurney, George Town, 10250 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: From 2pm to 8pm; Saturday & Sunday: From 12pm to 8pm
3. ESCAPE Theme Park
Nestled in a natural environment, ESCAPE comprises of a water park as well as an adventure park. They have plenty of rides and activities to suit young children and adults alike!
What you need to know is that the service is good, facilities are well-maintained, and queues are inevitable for popular water slides. Prepare to spend a full day here.
Adventure Park Highlights:
- 35m flying fox
- high elevation rope course
- trapeze station
Water Park Highlights:
- World’s longest water-slide
- Diving show
- Swimwear is necessary for the water park (e.g. no shorts and t-shirts)
- Bring cash
- No outside food is allowed
- Children below 13 years old must be accompanied by an adult
Read what we think about Escape Theme Park in Teluk Bahang.
- Location: 828, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 10am to 6pm (Closed on Mondays)
Explore Penang With The Kids
If the above suggestions still have you wondering what to do in Penang with kids, these are prominent Penang urban attractions that you can bring your kids to!
4. Visit Penang Museums With Kids
Museums are reliable family-friendly activities in Penang! And Penang has no shortage of interactive or unusual Penang museums to escape a rainy day too.
- Wonderfoods Museum
- TeddyVille Museum
- Upside Down Museum
- Penang 3D Trick Art Museum
- Teochew Puppet & Opera House
- The Dark Mansion
See more museums in Penang that are worth checking out.
5. Penang Street Art
You’ll notice the queues in front of the more notable attractive Penang street art while exploring the heritage zone!
These often have a 3D element to them that making posing for photos more fun and interactive for kids.
- Dessert and drink vendors will usually be around
- Try searching for murals at Armenian Street and Cannon Street
- Make sure to protect the kids from the harmful sun rays!
6. The Top Penang
For a one-stop location, The Top Penang has numerous entertainment facilities and activities in store for families!
You can buy tickets individually per attraction. Or buy a full-day pass!
Attractions (the main ones!) include:
- Rainbow Skywalk – An open-air glass bridge that you can walk on to see Penang below your feet!
- 7D Discovery Motion Theater – Immersive movie experience using virtual reality simulators
- Penang Boutique Aquarium – A collection of different live fish to learn about their ecosystems
- Ocean Explorer – Feel like you’re in the ocean through the use of high-resolution projectors!
- Durian The King of Fruits – Fascinating exhibits
- Tech-Dome –Over 100 well-executed science exhibits and informative staff
- Jurassic Research Center – Outdoors; Has some life-size replicas.
- Dino Gym – Play area for children under 10
- The Gravityz – In case you ever wanted to hang off a building without compromising your safety!
- Prepare to spend at least half a day here
- Not much else is for sale except souvenirs
- Amazing New Years Eve fireworks show
- You need socks to enter the Dino Gym
- Seniors over 60 get discount with proof of ID
- Indoor Penang street food court on the third floor
- Alternative parking next door at Prangin Mall for RM2 on a weekday!
- Call beforehand to check if attractions are under maintenance!
- Top floor will not be open on a rainy day!
- Location: 1, Jalan Penang, George Town, 10000 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday, 10am–10pm (Closes at 7pm on Tuesdays)
- Contact: +604 3759800
7. Stroll Down Beach Street On Car-free Sundays
Note: Temporarily closed
A weekly car-free event, Occupy Beach Street allows families to safely wander Beach Street.
Where there will be performances, food stalls, bicycle rentals, roadside car boot sales and adoption drives!
- Most shops close around 12-12:30pm
- Allocate some time to find parking
- Location: 10200, 8-16, Beach St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: Sunday from 7am to 1pm
Bring Your Kids Out To The Parks, Playgrounds And Hiking Trails in Penang
Get the kids off their screens and out of their comfort zone once in a while! Nothing says family bonding time quite like being outdoors together!
Note: Bring sun protection, comfortable walking shoes and mosquito repellent
8. Penang Hill And Funicular Tram Ride
Riding a tram will thrill the kids! And Penang Hill has nature walks and The Habitat!
The Habitat (additional fees to enter) has a canopy walkway and a sunset package including Curtis Crest and a guided night jungle walk!
- Last train goes down at 10pm
- Always best to visit Penang Hill on a weekday!
- Entrance to Penang Hill is free
- Fees apply for the funicular and The Habitat
Recommended: The Penang Hill Ultimate Guide
9. Penang Botanic Gardens
Penang Hill hiking trails like the Moon Gate trail (1 hour one-way) typically start here.
See manicured gardens, local wildlife (e.g. dusky leaf monkeys), exotic plants and walking trails which older kids can participate in as these usually involve a lot of stairs!
This park unfortunately has no playground for little ones. But it is a very spacious park!
Recommended: More pictures of Penang Botanic Gardens
10. Penang National Park
At Penang National Park, trek through the jungle to remote white sand beaches!
See an unusual salt water and fresh water lake, a lighthouse and a turtle sanctuary (Pantai Kerachut). Camp overnight if you’re feeling adventurous!
- If you don’t want to hike, take a boat from the entrance of the park to and from Monkey Beach or Pantai Kerachut.
- 30 minutes’ drive from George Town
- Hiking trails may not be suitable for the little ones
11. Penang Municipal Park (Also Formerly Known As Penang Youth Park)
It costs nothing to use the facilities at this 40-acre park.
There are a couple of wonderful playgrounds, shaded jogging tracks, a skate park and gym equipment.
To top it off, this park has swimming pools with shower facilities too!
- Not easy to get a Grab driver from this location
- 10 minutes’ walk from Penang Botanic Gardens
- Free parking (usually full on weekends)
- Food outlets at the park
- If you bring food, just watch for the monkeys!
- Location: Persiaran Kuari, 10450 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 24 hours
- Contact: +604-227 0618
12. Sia Boey Urban Archaeological Park
Having gone through a major makeover, the Sia Boey Urban Archaeological Park opened to the public in November 2019.
The most outstanding feature is the Prangin Canal which is now a beautiful koi pond. Other facilities include a public square and a children’s playground.
This place is very enchanting in the evenings too! Perfect for walking off a full belly while the kids spend the very last of their energy for the day!
- Location: 50, Jalan Dr Lim Chwee Leong, George Town, 10100 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: 6am to 11pm
Penang Temples & Historical Landmarks – History Lesson For The Kids (And You!)
Let your kids realize the wonder of history by taking them to see some historical attractions in Penang!
History is infinitely more interesting in physical form than from descriptions and photos in books!
Note: Bring some drinking water to keep everyone hydrated!
13. Kek Lok Si Temple
Note: Repair works are in progress, but visitors can still visit other areas of the temple.
Few temples in Malaysia can match the majesty of Penang’s hilltop Kek Lok Si Temple! It’ll take 1-2 hours to stroll around the temple complex!
From the main pavilion, go right to see the 9-storey pagoda!
Or go left for the giant Guan Yin statue with its own pavilion! In between are lovely prayer halls and gardens!
- The inclined lift costs RM16 (return trip) to get to the top where the Guan Yin statue is
- In front of the temple are souvenir and food stalls (Look for Air Itam Penang Assam Laksa and Sister Curry Mee!)
- It costs RM2 to enter the Pagoda (or RM1 for kids)
- Temple looks best during Chinese New Year (very crowded)
- Location: Jalan Balik Pulau, Pekan Ayer Itam, 11500 Ayer Itam, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8:30am to 5:30pm
- Contact: +604-828 3317
14. Clan Jetties Of Penang
Hailing from the 19th century, these floating villages of Penang are still home to many Chinese families.
Of these, the majority of tourists will choose to visit the more vibrant Chew Jetty over the calmer Tan Jetty.
Note: To escape the crowds at Chew Jetty, visit early in the morning or after 8pm when most of the shops are closed!
- Location: Pengkalan Weld, George Town, 10300 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 9pm
- Contact: +6019-593 5333
15. Fort Cornwallis
Fort Cornwallis is where Captain Francis Light of the British East India Company first came ashore to form a settlement!
See the surviving cannons, gunpowder storerooms, a flagstaff and a lighthouse!
- The old British fort is currently under renovation.
- It’s possible to see part of the fort from the outside perimeter.
- There is an on-site air-conditioned cafe
Read more about Fort Cornwallis here.
- Location: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, George Town, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 7pm
- Contact: +604-263 9855
- Entrance Fees:
- Malaysian – RM10 (Adult), RM 5 (Child)
- Non-Malaysian – RM20 (Adult), RM 10 (Child)
Other Historical Places:
- Khoo Kongsi Temple Penang – See Exquisite Architecture At This Heritage Gem
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (The Blue Mansion) – Relive The Peranakan Glory Days
- Penang Peranakan Mansion – Make A Trip To This Worthy Historical Museum
Let The Kids Interact With And Learn About Animals
It’s rare that city kids have an opportunity to interact with animals other than common household pets.
Give them this chance by visiting some of these animal-friendly places in Penang!
16. Entopia By Penang Butterfly Farm
Entopia is a research and education center with a strong drive to introduce the public to the world of insects!
The center is larger than it looks and houses thousands of butterflies and other small critters!
- Don’t worry about rain as there is an indoor section
- Not far from the ESCAPE theme park
- The target audience is children but adults can still pick up some interesting facts!
- There is a gift shop
- On-site café
- Can easily spend hours here!
See more pictures and read about our experience at Entopia By Penang Butterfly Farm.
- Location: No.830, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 5pm
- Contact: +604-888 8111
17. Penang Bird Park (At Mainland)
Observe over 300 species (including ostriches) at this 5-acre bird park in Butterworth – the largest in Malaysia!
The bigger birds are kept in free-roaming enclosures but most are caged.
And if you don’t feel like commuting to the park from the island, check out our list of the best hotels in Butterworth to save yourself travel time!
- There is an on-site restaurant
- Allocate 1-2 hours to visit
- Free parking
- Location: Jalan Todak Seberang Jaya, 13700 Perai, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 6pm
- Contact: +604-399 1899
- Entrance Fee:
- Malaysian: RM 38 (Adult), RM15 (Child)
- Non-Malaysian: RM 45 (Adult), RM20 (Child)
18. Penang Aquarium Batu Maung
Batu Maung is a fishing village with an aquarium (Akuarium Tunku Abdul Rahman) that has 25 tanks containing marine life like eels, stingray, coconut crabs, jelly fish, sea turtles and snappers!
- Some of the tanks are too high for kids to see
- Free parking
- Allow an hour for a visit
- Location: Jalan Batu Maung, 11960 Bayan Lepas, Penang Island
- Opening Hours:
- Weekdays – 10am to 12pm, and again from 2pm to 4pm
- Fridays – 10am to 12pm, and again from 2:45pm to 4pm
- Weekends – 10am to 4pm
- Closed on Wednesdays
- Contact: +604-626 3926
- Entrance Fee: RM5 (Adult), RM2 (Child above 7)
19. Saanen Dairy Goat Farm
It’s free to visit the Saanen Dairy Goat Farm and see the milking process. You can buy fresh goat milk here as well.
Visitors can also pet and feed the well-kept goats and other friendly domestic animals at the small farm in a rural area of Penang!
- There are guided tours for more than 20 pax at RM8 per head
- They sell homemade products like ice cream, soap, yoghurt and even kefir (by order)
- Location: 298, Mukim 1, Kuala Sungai Pinang, 11010 Balik Pulau, Penang
- Opening Hours: Weekdays – 10am to 5pm; Weekends – 10am to 6pm
Read more: 13 Best Things To Do In Georgetown Penang
20. Countryside Stables
Like the goat farm, Countryside Stables is in Balik Pulau.
Other than the riding horses, you can bring your kids here to see and feed many types of horses! They have donkeys and deer too!
Note: The stables and horses are in excellent condition with hardly any smell!
- Location: Lot 10050, Jalan Sungai Burung, Kampung Sungai Burung, 11000 Balik Pulau, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 2pm to 7pm
- Contact: +6012-408 0678
- Entrance Fee: RM12 (Adult), RM 8 (Child)
- Fees for guided rides: RM20 (Adult), RM17 (Child)
Try Arts And Craft With The Kids
Encourage your kids to discover their creative side with some hands-on activities! Penang has all sorts of workshops and classes!
21. Batik Painting At Rozana’s Batik
An hour of this class allows you to attempt a hand at this difficult craft!
Participants can make their own design or follow a template to bring back as a one-of-a-kind souvenir painting!
- You don’t need to be a born artist to do this!
- Some of the teacher’s paintings are exhibited at the Batik Painting Museum
- Location: 81 B, Lebuh Acheh, George Town, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11:30am to 6pm (Closed on Sundays)
- Contact: +6014-247 5347
Best Places To Eat In Penang (Kid-friendly)
Eating out with the entire family doesn’t have to cost much if you stick to local fare! And you should, Penang food is delicious!
Don’t forget to treat yourself to a Penang cafe too!
1. Cocoon Kids Café
Somewhere in George Town is a café that caters just to kids and their parents!
There are quality toys, and a play area with a trampoline, slide and a sandbox!
- No worries with parking or hygiene
- Western food
- You have to pay RM30 for 2 hours’ worth of playtime and a complimentary kids meal
- Remember to bring your own socks to enter the premise
- Location: Vantage Desiran Tanjung, Jalan Desiran Tanjung, Tanjung Tokong, 10470 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 10pm
- Contact: +6017-558 3340
Read more: Things To Do At Gurney Drive Penang (Complete Guide) – What To Eat, Hotels Nearby & Malls
2. Chulia Street Night Hawker Stalls
From evening onwards, Chulia Street transforms into a roadside hawker center!
With stalls selling popiah, apom, wanton mee, muah chee, chee cheong fun, lor bak, satay and more!
Note: Peak hours are around 8pm
- Location: Chulia St, Georgetown, 10450 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 12am
Read more: 11 Best Night Market In Penang – Monday To Sunday (Especially #5)
Best Place To Stay In Penang With Kids
Accommodation is not an aspect you want to overlook for your family trip. We recommend the following hotels for their family-friendly rooms and facilities in order of value-for-money to luxury!
1. Tropicana 218 X Airlevate Suites
10 minutes’ drive from George Town, this modern apartment has everything you need!
A kitchenette, dining and living space too! Facilities include a pool with city views and a children’s playground!
2. The Bayview Beach Resort
Get an attractive quality-price ratio at this hotel with its expansive family rooms and almost seaside location!
You can walk to the beach where there are many water activities to try!
3. DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang
Facilities such as a kid’s pool, wet play areas, and kid’s club make DoubleTree Resort suitable for family with children.
Their buffet also thoughtfully serves kid-friendly food at a lower height so that children can reach the food on their own.
Read more: 13 Best Breakfast In Penang – With Local, Western Cafe & Halal Options
4. Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Luxurious kid-friendly suites, beautiful surroundings, multiple swimming pools with slides, evening live performances and a tasty breakfast buffet at Hard Rock Hotel will win your family over!
5. Shangri-la’s Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa
Family rooms at Rasa Sayang are huge with comfortable beds and a bathtub!
The pool and breakfast spread will certainly please your family too! Plus, the beach is next door!
- More convenient to have your own car for sight-seeing in George Town
- Adventure Zone is close to this hotel (1 min drive or 4 minutes’ walk)
- Top 11 Penang Luxury Resorts (To Choose When Travelling To Penang)
- Top 11 Budget Hotels in Penang
- Top 11 New Hotels In Penang
- 7 Best Hotels With Privates Pools In Penang
Getting Around Penang With A Local Tour Guide
It’s a bit of a hassle to arrange public transport when you’re travelling with kids! And safety can be a concern too.
A private tour service like RayTheTour will ensure that the family travels together!
Having a flexible itinerary gives you free reign to travel at your convenience too!
Other pros of our service:
- Comfortable transport – MPVs and vans
- Friendly local guides who can speak English or Chinese
- Pick up and drop off anywhere in Penang during your tour
- Tours in Ipoh, Cameron Highlands and Taiping are available too
- No hidden costs
Book RayTheTour on WhatsApp!
Have a fun day with the family by adding a few of these things to do in Penang with kids to your ever-growing Penang itinerary! There are outdoor and indoor activities to suit every age!
Planning ahead will help contribute to a smooth-sailing family trip. Better still, book a private tour service to handle the logistics! Especially if you want to go further (e.g., Orangutan Island).