The Habitat Penang Hill or Habitat Penang features a scenic canopy walk over an ancient rainforest which allows visitors to observe wildlife at a safe distance (for both parties)!
And they have guided nature walks to explore the forest floor too!
But perhaps the most popular attraction at The Habitat is the Curtis Crest. This Penang Hill tree top walk is the highest viewing point on Penang Hill!
Table of Contents:
- About The Habitat Penang Hill
- The Habitat Penang Hill Map
- Habitat Penang Opening Hours
- Habitat Penang Entrance Fee
- The Habitat Penang Hill Promotion
- The Habitat Packages
- Attractions At The Habitat
- Throw A Special Event At The Habitat Penang
- The Habitat Cafe Penang Hill
- The Habitat Penang Hill Review
- Getting To The Habitat Penang Hill
About The Habitat Penang Hill
The construction of The Habitat began after 2012 and comprised of 2 phases.
The first phase with a 1.6km nature trail and the impressive Curtis Crest, was officially launched in 2016.
Soon after, sunset walks were introduced.
And the highly anticipated canopy walk (Phase 2) was finally ready for the public in 2018. Langur Way Canopy Walk, is the sole two-span ribbon bridge in the world!
With each span stretching for 115meters long – a total length of 230m!
The concrete canopy walk is raised 40m above the ground. Which makes it the highest in Malaysia if you include the fact that is already 700m above sea level!
Approximately 900 people (each person weighing 100kg) can be on the bridge at the same time.
The Habitat as a whole, focuses on 4 main aspects – sustainable tourism, conservation, research and education.
The Habitat Penang Hill Map
An overview of the nature reserve:
Address: The Habitat Penang Hill, Bukit Bendera, 11300 Penang, Malaysia.
Contact: +604 826 7677 or +6019-645 7741
Email: [email protected]
Habitat Penang Opening Hours
The Habitat Penang Hill is open every day including weekends & public holidays.
- Standard Walk: 9am to 7pm with last entry at 6pm (Exit by 7pm)
- Sunset & Night Walk: 5:30pm onwards and only on weekends; Last admission: 7pm (Exit by 8pm)
The Habitat Penang Hill Entrance Fee
At RM60 (walk-in) per adult, the entrance fee is considered steep for a Malaysian attraction.
Check the website for the latest fees and availability. OKU card holders can get in for free.
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children / Seniors)||RM160|
- Honeymoon Zip (Flight Of The Colugo) – RM30/pax (maximum 2 pax)
- Virtual Reality Experience – RM20/ pax
- Guided Walk (up to 10 pax per group) – RM200
Note: The entrance fee does not include the guided nature tours or zip line courses.
The Habitat Penang Hill Promotion
1. Unlimited Access To The Habitat?
A 1 year pass might make sense if you stay in Penang as the pass gives you free and unlimited entrance to The Habitat throughout the year!
- Adult – RM180
- Child/ Student/ Senior – RM120
Sign up form here.
As well as the following benefits:
- 20% discount for up to 4 guests that you bring with you!
- 20% discounts will apply if you buy something from the shop or café
- 20% discount for attractions like the Kancil Walk, Sunset Walk or the Colugo Zipline Experience!
2. Deal For Two
If you’re going as a couple or pair, there is a deal for two that includes the following for a total of RM165 (2 adults), RM150 (1 adult and 1 child/senior), or RM135 (2 child/senior):
- Standard entrance fees
- Wild Immersion VR Experience
- 2 coffees/teas and 1 slice of cake (assorted flavor)
3. Discounts For Malaysians (Promotion Ended)
If you’re Malaysian or a MyKad holder, you can take advantage of this monthly promotion!
It’s 50% off the Standard entrance fee and the Sunset Walk Experience when you book online using the promo code “MYKADPROMO” at thehabitat.my for the first Sunday of the month!
Of course, Terms and Conditions do apply.
4. The Habitat Penang Online Ticket (Promotion Ended)
If you book early, advance bookings can really get you significant discount on those tickets!
- 15-30 days ahead, 10% off
- 31-60 days ahead , 15% off
- Book 60 days ahead , 20% off
Or you can check out the pricing by KLOOK too.
5. Penang Lang Promotion! (Promotion Ended)
Even if you don’t have the annual pass, Penang citizens are still entitled to the PENANG LANG promotion.
Where you can register and enjoy 20% discount whenever you enter The Habitat!
As always, Terms and Conditions apply!
The Habitat Packages
For first-timers, it’s recommended to get a package instead of just the standard entry.
Especially the highly informative nature walks which offer valuable insight to the pristine jungle surrounding The Habitat.
Disclaimer: For the latest information on the availability and pricing of the following listed packages, call up The Habitat directly at +6019 645 7741 or email them at [email protected].
1. The Signature Rainforest Experience
An all-inclusive package, visitors can have a full guided tour, try the multiple zip lines and get complimentary tea or coffee!
This package is only available for walk-in guests with the last admission at 3pm.
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM540|
2. The Flight Of The Colugo
Likewise, this package is only available for walk-in visitors.
You will get access to the full course which includes 5 zip lines, 1 abseiling line and a rope bridge walk!
Last admission is at 4pm.
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM460|
3. The Kancil Walk
This is the fully guided nature walk by one of the passionate naturalists at The Habitat. Pre-booking is compulsory and should be 2 days prior to your visit date.
There are 2 fixed time slots every day – one at 10am and the other at 3pm.
Group sizes should be between 2 to 8 pax. The guided tour typically takes 1.5 hours.
Without a guided tour, you can’t really make the most of the being at a nature reserve!
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM225|
4. The Sunset Walk
Obviously, there is a tighter time constraint (5:30pm to 8pm) for this tour which is available from 5:30pm onwards with the last tour entry at 7pm!
Visitors who take this package get to access Curtis Crest during sunset hours, followed by a guided night walk. And a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage is included too!
Self-Guided Walk Prices:
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM255|
Guided Walk Prices (Pre-bookings required):
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM255|
Notes for all of the above packages:
- Senior Citizens are persons aged 60 and above at time of entry
Students must still be enrolled in an education institution with proof of a valid student ID
- Children can enter for free if they are 3 years old and below
- Entrance fees are applicable for children between 4 – 12 years of age at time of entry
The Habitat Attractions
Appreciate the 130 million old rainforest from different perspectives throughout The Habitat!
1. Be Among The Tree Tops (Langur Way Canopy Walk)
Named after the dusky leaf monkeys or langurs that live around here, the Langur Way Canopy Walk will take you up into the canopy!
The lofty bridge of 230m spans over 2 valleys so prepare for some incomparable views of the forest (and even the sea) from the multiple viewing platforms!
Keep an eye out among the tops of the trees and you might spot some unusual wildlife you don’t see on the mainland.
2. Have A 360° View Of Penang From The Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk
As the highest viewing platform on Penang Hill, this is undoubtedly a haven for sunset worshipers and anyone who wants to have a 360 view of Penang.
Even Langkawi can be seen on an exceptionally clear day!
Up to 120 people can be on this platform at any one time. And in case, you’re wondering, Curtis Crest is named after a renowned 18th century botanist, Charles Curtis.
The oval shape of the walkway was designed with the surrounding trees in mind!
3. Wander The Trails & Gardens
You can start this 1.6km trail a short distance from the upper station of the Penang Hill funicular.
It begins right after the ticket counter.
On this shaded trail, you’ll pass some old bungalows and a good portion of the nature reserve!
There are some specialty gardens along the way. Like the Fern Garden, Palm Grove and Butterfly Bank!
Either rely on the information signs or join a guided tour (Kancil Walk) to learn about the flora!
4. Join The Sunset Walk
Savor a dreamy sunset from the top of Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk. And as you do, listen as the nocturnal jungle creatures awake!
After sunset, begin your guided night walk into the jungle. Depending on your luck, you could spot a flying lemur (Colugo), scorpions, frogs, owls and others like the Penang gecko!
5. Experience The Flight Of The Colugo
Aptly named after the resident flying lemurs at the reserve, this heart-pumping adventure course will have participants gliding through the trees!
They have 5 zip lines, 1 abseiling line and 1 rope bridge. Slots are limited (last slot at 4pm) so book ahead if you’re interested!
6. See The Forest From A Giant Swing
What better place to relax than a giant wooden swing that doubles as a wonderful vantage point of the lush undulating rainforest?
There are two such swings at The Habitat. One is along the Canopy Walk while the other is somewhere between the Drongo Circle and the Squirrel Circle.
PS: You might be waiting quite a while for your turn on weekends and public holidays.
Throw A Special Event At The Habitat Penang
The Habitat is that kind of place that will leave a lasting impression. Perfect for a private event!
They have several venues available to host functions at, including Curtis Crest!
Venues Open For Hiring:
1. Curtis Crest
3. Cafe Rooftop
4. Andaman Tents
5. Giant Swing
6. Ticketing Office
1. Team Building
Get your team out of their comfort zone to nurture a strong sense of teamwork! A break from work does wonders for inspiration too.
Nature walks are part of the team-building process at The Habitat!
2. Pre-Wedding & Wedding Functions
Imagine having your wedding or pre-wedding photo shoot at such a scenic venue as Curtis Crest!
Or at any one of the other aesthetic multi-functional spaces at The Habitat for that matter. There are customizable packages for intimate parties with a maximum capacity of 200 pax!
The Habitat Cafe Penang Hill
1. The Habitat Shop & Café (Kommune)
On a rainy day, this is a welcome site to wait out the rain. Have a meal or coffee while you do so.
The air-conditioned shop is just before the exit of The Habitat. You do have to enter the shop to exit the Habitat. And inside, there are many goods on sale.
Like essential oils, solid perfume, tee shirts, batik pieces, and other various handicraft, tote bags, and hand-woven bags by the Women of the Penan Community!
The back of the shop leads out to the café which is an open-air space (albeit shaded) with plenty of beautiful greenery all around.
Location: The Habitat Penang Hill, Bukit Bendera, 11300 Penang, Malaysia.
Opening Hours: 9:00am to 6:30pm | Daily
Contact: +604 826 7677
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
The Habitat Penang Hill Review
To sum it up, The Habitat Penang Hill is worth going at least once if you really enjoy being out in nature but don’t want to have to jungle trek.
The trails are all highly accessible and family friendly too so all ages will be able to enjoy their visit here.
However, as stunning as this place is, we feel that fees are overpriced (e.g., guided tours don’t include entrance fees) and if you can afford to wait for a promotion or deals, you might want to do so.
But if you can only visit Penang hill on a busy day, the high fees are a good deterrent for the crowds.
What You’ll Like:
- Beautiful place that is well maintained
- Insightful nature tours by knowledgeable guides
- Amazing views of Penang from Curtis Crest
- Safe and fun zip lining experience!
- Comfortable way to enjoy nature without having to go deep into the jungle!
Good To Know:
- Reception isn’t good on the hill. If you bought your tickets online, download the QR code beforehand!
- Free shuttle service to take visitors from the exit of The Habitat to the funicular station
- Fast Lane tickets for the train are worth considering during weekends and public holidays!
- If you bought your tickets online, you still have to join the queue for the walk-in tickets since they will redeem your tickets there!
- Train ticket is not included in the entrance fees
- Don’t forget your identity card (or proof of Penang residency) if you’re Malaysian!
- Train tickets are slightly cheaper (~RM3 less) on weekdays before 9am
- The zip lines won’t be open if it is raining (sometimes The Habitat is closed due to heavy rain)
- Pre-bookings are required for the zip line course (Flight Of The Colugo) and guided nature night walks
- Prepare to wait 1 to 3 hours for the train up Penang Hill during public holidays and school holidays
- Mosquito repellent is advised
- There is a mosque on Penang Hill
- Wear comfortable shoes
- The best time to enjoy The Habitat is early morning and evening
- Allocate up to 4 hours to fully explore at a leisurely pace (and with kids in tow)
Note: We encourage our readers to be environmentally responsible, do not litter and bring your own reusable water bottles.
- Entopia By Penang Butterfly Farm – Walk Among Hundreds Of Live Butterflies!
- Kek Lok Si Temple – If You Only Have Time For 1 Temple In Penang, Let It Be This One!
- Khoo Kongsi Temple Penang: See Exquisite Architecture At This Heritage Gem
- Fort Cornwallis Penang – UNESCO Heritage Site In George Town
Getting To The Habitat Penang Hill
Since visitors cannot drive up to The Habitat Penang Hill, you might want to read more on the available transportation options listed below:
Transport Options To Get Up/ Down To Penang Hill
- Funicular train from Air Itam
- Jeep Service Botanical Gardens (Penang Hill Jeep Service)
- Hike from the Botanical Gardens
For more details on the above transportation options, see our separate post on Penang Hill.
At the end of your trip, you will then need to retrieve your car from the parking lot at Air Itam by the funicular station.
Or rely on Grab or the public bus service. Which can result in long waiting times during busy days!
But with Raythetour’s private tour service, you can have immediate transfer to your next destination from Air Itam or the Botanical Gardens!
The same applies for the start of your trip!
Other benefits of our tours:
- Local experienced guides from Penang
- Extend your trip with day tours to Taiping, Ipoh and even Cameron Highlands!
- Comfortable transport (either van or MPV)
- A flexible itinerary from morning to evening
- Pick up from anywhere in Penang to begin your tour!
- Drop off anywhere in Penang after your tour
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with Raythetour via WhatsApp or Facebook!
- 27 Best Things To Do In Penang
- 21 Fun Things To Do In Penang With Kids
- Penang Nightlife – 23 Best Things To Do In Penang At Night
The Habitat Penang Hill gives even past visitors to Penang another reason to return to this ever-evolving city! Get a much-needed break from urban life at this stunning nature reserve park!
Top attractions at The Habitat include the canopy walk, zip lines, the now-iconic Curtis Crest and the underrated nature walks!
If you want to, it’s 15 minutes’ walk from the exit of The Habitat to Monkey Cup at Penang Hill.