The Habitat Penang Hill or Habitat Penang features a scenic canopy walk over an ancient rainforest which allows visitors to observe wildlife at a safe distance for both parties!
And they have guided nature walks to explore the forest floor too!
But perhaps the most popular attraction at The Habitat is the Curtis Crest! This Penang Hill tree top walk is the highest viewing point on Penang Hill!
Table of Contents:
- About The Habitat Penang Hill
- The Habitat Penang Hill Map
- Habitat Penang Opening Hours
- Habitat Penang Entrance Fee
- The Habitat Penang Hill Promotion
- The Habitat Packages
- Attractions At The Habitat
- Throw A Special Event At The Habitat Penang
- The Habitat Cafe Penang Hill
- The Habitat Penang Hill Review
- Getting To The Habitat Penang Hill
About The Habitat Penang Hill
The construction of The Habitat began after 2012 and comprised of 2 phases.
The first phase with a 1.6km nature trail and the impressive Curtis Crest, was officially launched in 2016.
Soon after, sunset walks were introduced.
And the highly anticipated canopy walk (Phase 2) was finally ready for the public in 2018. Langur Way Canopy Walk, is the sole two-span ribbon bridge in the world!
With each span stretching for 115meters long – a total length of 230m!
The concrete canopy walk is raised 40m above the ground. Which makes it the highest in Malaysia if you include the fact that is already 700m above sea level!
Approximately 900 people (each person weighing 100kg) can be on the bridge at the same time!
The Habitat is focuses on 4 main pillars – sustainable tourism, conservation, research and education!
The Habitat Penang Hill Map
An overview of the nature reserve:
Habitat Penang Opening Hours
The Habitat Penang Hill is open every day! Including on weekends & public holidays!
The Habitat Penang Hill Entrance Fee
At RM55 per adult, the entrance fee is quite steep for a typical Malaysian attraction.
However, you might be eligible for a discount so keep reading!
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM145|
The Habitat Penang Hill Promotion
1. Discounts For Malaysians
If you’re Malaysian or a MyKad holder, you can take advantage of this monthly promotion!
It’s 50% off the Standard entrance fee and the Sunset Walk Experience when you book online using the promo code “MYKADPROMO” at thehabitat.my for the first Sunday of the month!
Of course, Terms and Conditions do apply.
2. The Habitat Penang Online Ticket
If you book early, advance bookings can really get you significant discount on those tickets!
- 15-30 days ahead, 10% off
- 31-60 days ahead , 15% off
- Book 60 days ahead , 20% off
Or you can check out the pricing by KLOOK too.
3. Unlimited Access To The Habitat?
A 1 year pass might make sense if you stay in Penang! The pass gives you free and unlimited entrance to The Habitat throughout the year!
- Adult – RM180
- Child/ Student/ Senior – RM120
As well as the following benefits:
- 20% discount for up to 4 guests that you bring with you!
- 20% discounts will apply if you buy something from the shop or café
- 50% discount for attractions like the Kancil Walk, Sunset Walk or the Colugo Zipline Experience!
4. Penang Lang Promotion!
Even if you don’t have the annual pass, Penang citizens are still entitled to the PENANG LANG promotion.
Where you can register and enjoy 20% discount whenever you enter The Habitat!
As always, Terms and Conditions apply!
The Habitat Packages
For first-timers, it’s recommended to get a package instead of just the standard entry.
Especially the highly informative nature walks which offer valuable insight to the pristine jungle surrounding The Habitat!
1. The Signature Rainforest Experience
An all-inclusive package, visitors can have a full guided tour, try the multiple zip lines and get complimentary tea or coffee!
This package is only available for walk-in guests with the last admission at 3pm.
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM540|
2. The Flight Of The Colugo
Likewise, this package is only available for walk-in visitors.
You will get access to the full course which includes 5 zip lines, 1 abseiling line and a rope bridge walk!
Last admission is at 4pm.
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM460|
3. The Kancil Walk
This is the fully guided nature walk by one of the passionate naturalists at The Habitat. The last slot is 5pm.
Without a guided tour, you can’t really make the most of the being at a nature reserve!
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM225|
4. The Sunset Walk
Obviously, there is a tighter time constraint for this tour which is available from 5:30pm onwards with the last tour at 7pm!
Visitors who take this package get to access Curtis Crest during sunset hours, followed by a guided night walk. And a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage is included too!
|Family Package (2 Adults, 2 Children)||RM255|
The Habitat Attractions
Appreciate the 130 million old rainforest from different perspectives throughout The Habitat!
1. Be Among The Tree Tops (Langur Way Canopy Walk)
Named after the dusky leaf monkeys or langurs that live around here, the Langur Way Canopy Walk will take you up into the canopy!
The lofty bridge of 230m spans over 2 valleys so prepare for some incomparable views of the forest and even the sea from the multiple viewing platforms!
2. Have A 360° View Of Penang From The Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk
As the highest viewing platform on Penang Hill, this is undoubtedly a haven for sunset worshipers and anyone who wants to have a 360 view of Penang!
Even Langkawi can be seen on an exceptionally clear day!
Up to 120 people can be on this platform at any one time! Its name follows a renowned 18th century botanist, Charles Curtis.
The oval shape of the walkway was designed with the surrounding trees in mind!
3. Wander The Trails & Gardens
You can start this 1.6k trail a short distance from the upper station of the Penang Hill funicular.
On this trail, you’ll pass some old bungalows and a good portion of the nature reserve!
There are some specialty gardens along the way. Like the Fern Garden, Palm Grove and Butterfly Bank!
Either rely on the information signs or join a guided tour (Kancil Walk) to learn about the flora!
4. Join The Sunset Walk
Savor a dreamy sunset from the top of Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk! And as you do, listen as the nocturnal jungle creatures awake!
After sunset, begin your guided night walk into the jungle. Depending on your luck, you could spot a flying lemur (Colugo), scorpions, frogs, owls and others like the Penang gecko!
5. Experience The Flight Of The Colugo
Aptly named after the resident flying lemurs at the reserve, this heart-pumping adventure course will have participants gliding through the trees!
They have 5 zip lines, 1 abseiling line and 1 rope bridge. Slots are limited (last slot at 4pm) so book ahead if you’re interested!
6. See The Forest From A Giant Swing
What better place to relax than a giant wooden swing that doubles as a wonderful vantage point of the lush undulating rainforest?
There are two such swings at The Habitat. One is along the Canopy Walk while the other is somewhere between the Drongo Circle and the Squirrel Circle.
Throw A Special Event At The Habitat Penang
The Habitat is that kind of place that will leave a lasting impression. Perfect for a private event!
They have several venues available to host functions at, including Curtis Crest!
Venues Open For Hiring:
1. Curtis Crest
3. Cafe Rooftop
4. Andaman Tents
5. Giant Swing
6. Ticketing Office
1. Team Building
Get your team out of their comfort zone to nurture a strong sense of team work! A break from work does wonders for inspiration too!
Nature walks are part of the team-building process at The Habitat!
2. Pre-Wedding & Wedding Function
Imagine having your wedding or pre-wedding photo shoot at such a scenic venue as Curtis Crest!
Or at any one of the other aesthetic multi-functional spaces at The Habitat!
There are customizable packages for intimate parties with a maximum capacity of 200 pax!
The Habitat Cafe Penang Hill
1. The Habitat Shop & Café
On a rainy day, The Habitat Café is a welcome site to wait out the rain! Have a meal or coffee while you do so!
And feel free to browse the many goods on sale too.
Like essential oils, various handicraft, tote bags, and hand-woven bags by the Women of the Penan Community!
2. The Rimba Café
Just opposite from the Penang Hill funicular ticket counter, this café is at the lower station in Air Itam where you can get entrance tickets for The Habitat!
Waiting for your train is not so bad when you can come inside and have a cup of coffee!
There is a tempting variety of pastries, cakes, sandwiches and artisan coffees you can order!
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
The Habitat Penang Hill Review
What You’ll Like:
- Beautiful place
- Insightful nature tours by knowledgeable guides
- Amazing views of Penang from Curtis Crest
- Safe and fun zip lining experience!
- Comfortable way to enjoy nature without having to go deep into the jungle!
Good To Know:
- Reception isn’t good on the hill. If you bought your tickets online, download the QR code beforehand!
- Free shuttle service to take visitors from the exit of The Habitat to the funicular station
- Fast Lane tickets for the train are worth considering during weekends and public holidays!
- If you bought your tickets online, you still have to join the queue for the walk-in tickets since they will redeem your tickets there!
- Train ticket not included in the entrance fees!
- Entopia By Penang Butterfly Farm – Walk Among Hundreds Of Live Butterflies!
- Kek Lok Si Temple – If You Only Have Time For 1 Temple In Penang, Let It Be This One!
- Khoo Kongsi Temple Penang: See Exquisite Architecture At This Heritage Gem
- Fort Cornwallis Penang – UNESCO Heritage Site In George Town
Getting To The Habitat Penang Hill
Since visitors cannot drive up to The Habitat Penang Hill:
Transport Options To Get Up/ Down To Penang Hill
- Funicular train from Air Itam
- Jeep Service Botanical Gardens
- Hike from the Botanical Gardens
At the end of your trip, you will then need to retrieve your car from the parking lot at Air Itam by the funicular station.
Or rely on Grab or the public bus service. Which can result in long waiting times during busy days!
But with Raythetour’s private tour service, you can have immediate transfer to your next destination from Air Itam or the Botanical Gardens!
The same applies for the start of your trip!
Other benefits of our tours:
- Local experienced guides from Penang
- Extend your trip with day tours to Taiping, Ipoh and even Cameron Highlands!
- Comfortable transport (either van or MPV)
- A flexible itinerary from morning to evening
- Pick up from anywhere in Penang to begin your tour!
- Drop off anywhere in Penang after your tour
- 27 Best Things To Do In Penang
- 21 Fun Things To Do In Penang With Kids
- Penang Nightlife – 23 Best Things To Do In Penang At Night
The Habitat Penang Hill gives even past visitors to Penang another reason to return to this ever evolving city! Get a much needed break from urban life at this stunning nature reserve park!
Top attractions at The Habitat include the canopy walk, zip lines, the now-iconic Curtis Crest and the underrated nature walks!
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.