Penang Avatar Secret Garden is a viable option if you’re still figuring out what to do in Penang around sunset!
Once the lights come on, you’ll see why people draw parallels between the garden and the one in the James Cameron’s blockbuster movie, Avatar!
There are a few things to know about this place before you go though. We’ll explain more below!
Table of Contents:
- Avatar Secret Garden Penang Price
- Avatar Secret Garden Penang Location
- Background Of Secret Garden Penang
- What To Do At Avatar Secret Garden
- Avatar Penang Review
- Food Near To Penang Avatar Secret Garden
- Best Time To Visit Avatar Secret Garden
- Getting To Penang Avatar Secret Garden
Avatar Secret Garden Penang Price
It’s completely free to visit the Avatar Secret Garden in Penang! But while there is no entrance fee, you may have to pay for a parking fee!
Some men have taken it upon themselves to be parking attendants here. They are not legally hired by the temple or the council to do so!
Locals will usually pay the fee from fear of unnecessary confrontation (usually hostile) or their car being scratched or vandalized by these parking gangsters!
This is unfortunately a pretty common practice everywhere in Malaysia.
The overpriced “parking fees” are as follows:
- Maintenance fee – RM1
- Parking spot for a car – RM5
- Parking spot for a motor – RM2
If you want to avoid all the drama and paying the fees:
- Park further away outside the final access road to the garden
- Tesco is a good alternative parking option (<10 minutes’ walk from the garden)
- Take a taxi or Grab
Avatar Secret Garden Penang Location
Next to the sea and behind the temple (Thai Pak Koong temple) at Tanjung Tokong:
You can come earlier to watch the sunset and wander through the decorative stone statues there!
Before the garden lights come on at 7:30pm!
Background Of Secret Garden Penang
It was actually the neighboring temple, Tua Pek Kong that took up the construction of Penang Avatar Secret Garden in August 2016.
The plan to beautify the area behind the temple and the surrounding beach was financially sponsored by the local council.
Complete with a raised walkway to make it easier for visitors to get around the garden!
And within a few months, the garden was open to visitors!
What To Do At Avatar Secret Garden
- Go on a sunset stroll by the beach
- View statues at the beach
- Observe activity at the temple (Thai Pak Koong)
- Find the World War II bunkers at the beach
- Climb up to the viewing tower
- Take numerous photos at your leisure in the garden
- Admire the field of LED tulips
- Complete the walkway around the garden
- See night views of the city from the shoreline
Avatar Penang Review
What You’ll Like:
- Free entrance
- Open until quite late at night
- Romantic setting for a stroll
- Beach nearby to watch the sunset
- Places to eat within walking distance
Good To Know:
- Expect to pay a parking fee if you drive there
- Wear white or other light colors if you want a glow-in-the-dark effect for your photos
- Lights look better later in the evening when it’s darker
- Bring along some drinking water
- Average duration depends on how much you like taking photos! Or if there are many people!
Read more: Khoo Kongsi Temple Penang: See Exquisite Architecture At This Heritage Gem
Food Near To Penang Avatar Secret Garden
Doesn’t hurt to know what’s good to eat around Penang Avatar Secret Garden before you go!
With this list, you can have more chances at tasting Penang food!
1. Indochine Cafe Penang
You might not expect to find a restaurant serving quintessential dishes from Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam!
This Indo-China restaurant is next to Hotel Sentral Seaview and features an open-air dining setting under the glow of lanterns!
It takes ~8 minutes to walk here from Penang Avatar Secret Garden!
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
2. Viva Local Food Haven
Just 2 minutes’ walk from Indochine Café, is a typical local food court with numerous vendors serving Malaysian food (including Penang street food) at affordable prices!
It’s only open from the evening onwards!
- Char koay teow
- Claypot chicken rice
- Frog rice
- Apom balik (Indian crepe)
- Bang chang koey (Chinese pancake)
- Duck rice/ porridge
- Keoy teow fishball soup
3. Taiba Shawerma Restaurant
Taiba Shawerma Restaurant has plenty to offer when it comes to vegetarian, vegan and gluten free dishes!
Middle-eastern and Mediterranean dishes like baba ganoush, hummus, falafels, kebabs and Greek salad are all delicious and reasonably priced!
4. Lao Hakka Restaurant
Hakka-style dishes rule at this simple restaurant inside the local swimming club! Portions run small which can be a blessing since that allows you to try more dishes!
The stingray curry is a must-try! Prices are above average.
Read more: Fort Cornwallis Penang – UNESCO Heritage Site In George Town
5. Pang Hainan Seafood
Pang Hainan Seafood tends to be packed even if you go early.
If it is packed, you might want to go elsewhere as crowds coming for the tasty Chinese-style seafood dishes mean mediocre service!
Try dishes like their Kam Heong clams, sweet and sour crab and curry fish!
You can see their prices and menu here.
Read more: 11 Best Seafood Restaurants In Penang (Recommended By Locals)
Best Time To Visit Avatar Secret Garden
Driving to Avatar Secret Garden? Parking is limited particularly on weekends! So it helps to be there early.
As early as 6:30pm so you can catch the sunset too! And go for dinner after seeing the garden!
However, you can always visit the garden later as the lights will be on until 11:30pm!
- The Habitat Penang Hill (Ultimate Guide) – With Tips For Entrance Fee Discounts!
- Monkey Beach Penang: Visit This Slice Of Paradise In Penang
- Penang Botanical Gardens – Visit The Green Lungs Of Penang!
Getting To Penang Avatar Secret Garden
Rather not take your chances finding the garden and arranging after-hours transport on your own?
No worries! With RayTheTour, you can always include Penang Avatar Secret Garden as part of a customized private tour itinerary!
Just save your energy to soak in all the wonders of Penang as our experienced local guides show you their hometown!
Read more: Penang Street Art (Complete Guide): Where To Find Murals In Penang (With Map)
Is the Penang Avatar Secret Garden worth seeking out? Considering that the entrance is free, and that it’s close to a pretty nice beach and temple, yes!
Families and friends can have the pleasure of taking photos in the garden in the evening and night! Before or after dinner at one of the local eateries nearby!