For things to do in Penang at night, you don’t have to go far! As most of the places are close to each other!
The nightlife in George Town, Penang is usually sufficient for first-time visitors to the city!
And some places in this post are the same ones you can see in the daytime. But time your visit right and you can be there for both sunset and nightfall too!
Best Things To Do In Penang At Night
- Where To Take An Evening Stroll
- Indulge In Late-Night Shopping In Penang
- Get A Taste Of Penang Street Food Or Go Fancy!
- Have A Late Cuppa At A Night Cafe In Penang
- Check Out Penang’s Night Scene!
- Stay Out Late At One Of Penang’s Live Streets!
Where To Take An Evening Stroll
1. Cross The KOMTAR Rainbow Skywalk
Up on the 68th floor of The Top, KOMTAR is a short circular glass bridge that juts out from the building.
From here, you can see Penang through the glass from the sides of the bridge as well as the floor!
If you get the all-day ticket, you can come back again in the evening to see a different view!
2. Take A Sunset Cruise
Or just take the sunset cruises that start at 5pm and last up to ~3 hours, passing by jungle and wetlands!
You can get a boat from the entrance of the Penang National Park. The boat trips do require at least 2 people. With a maximum of 10 people per boat!
- ~RM50 (Monkey Beach)
- ~RM100 (Around the island including the turtle sanctuary)
3. George Town From Atop Penang Hill
View the city from Penang Hill Sky Walk (or Sky Deck). Take your time as the last train down the hill departs at 11pm!
The Habitat Sunset Walk
It’s not free to access The Habitat or its iconic Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk, the highest point on Penang Hill!
Sunset packages begin from 5:30pm onwards (Saturdays and Sundays only) and include access to the platform.
Note: Walk-in purchases are advisable if you are interested in The Habitat Sunset Walk. As visits are subject to weather conditions.
The packages also include a nighttime guided jungle walk to seek out the elusive Colugo (i.e. flying lemur) and other native wildlife!
4. Admire All The Lights At Kek Lok Si Temple (Chinese New Year Only)
Once a year, throngs of visitors look forward to the wonderful light display at the massive temple complex!
At any other time of the year, the temple is not open past 5:30pm! So take advantage of the longer opening hours and visit the temple after or right before dinner!
Closing time during Chinese New Year will be 10pm or 12am for weekdays and weekends respectively.
Read more about Kek Lok Si Temple in Penang.
5. Go On An Evening Stroll At The Clan Jetties Of Penang
After the daytime crowds disperse, head over to Chew Jetty or Lee Jetty! These villages will have colorful lights on later!
The floating Hean Boo Thean Temple at the end of Yeoh Jetty is a sight to behold at and after sunset too!
It’s quite romantic to walk among the houses along the pier while you listen to the waves, watch the sunset and feel the sea breeze!
6. Ride An E Bike Around George Town At Night
We found out (the hard way) that the best time to take an e-bike, or bicycle is during the night. It makes wandering around George Town a cool and fun experience.
There are also less cars and people to navigate around at this time.
Mind that most bicycle rental shops in George Town close between 6 to 7pm. But LinkBike Station 17 at Campbell Street is open for 24 hours.
7. Sia Boey Urban Archaeological Park
This Park was part of a project in 2018 to conserve the rich history of the area and develop it as a family-friendly recreational spot too.
In fact, the Park represents two archeological sites: the Sia Boey Market and the Old Prangin Canal Basin.
The Canal Basin, which is actually monsoon drain, has now been converted into a lively colorful koi pond.
Fun fact: Sia Boey which roughly translates to “end of the town” in Hokkien was given its name because in the 19th century Georgetown was only developed till the Prangin Canal.
While the rest of the Sia Boey has been rejuvenated with plants, a children’s playground, and a public square. This historic site is a great place a cool morning or a romantic moonlit stroll!
- Entry: Free
- Location: 50, Jalan Dr Lim Chwee Leong, George Town, 10100 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: 6am to 11pm
Indulge In Late-Night Shopping In Penang
8. Hit The Mall (Penang Shopping Malls)
Of all the places to visit in Penang at night, a shopping mall might not be the top of your list!
But how about 2 right next to each other?
Glitzy Gurney Paragon and Gurney Plaza hold plentiful shopping opportunities for the fashion-conscious! And a medley of late-night eateries!
Queensbay Mall has even more stores to peruse if you do not know what to buy from Penang!
9. Browse Penang Night Markets
Monday’s Macallum Street Night Market is an undisputed food haven for Penang street food like char kway teow and satay!
On Tuesday’s, you’ll want to be at Tanjung Bungah Night Market! Especially if it’s durian season! There is local food as well as international street food like xiao long bao and aligot!
And over in Batu Ferringhi, the Batu Ferringhi Night Market has plenty of non-edible wares for sale! There are souvenirs, electronic accessories, jewelry, shoes and even beach wear!
Get A Taste Of Penang Street Food Or Go Fancy!
10. Gurney Drive Food Court
Gurney Drive is home to a large food court (Gurney Drive Hawker Centre) which faces the sea on one side!
Stalls surround rows of tables and chairs in the middle of the court in typical hawker fashion.
Food to try includes satay, pasembur, char kway teow, lok lok, sotong bakar (grilled squid) and rojak!
11. Chulia Street Hawker Stalls
Although smaller than the food court on Gurney Drive, Chulia Street has enough variety to satisfy your street food cravings!
Stall owners start serving from 6pm with the peak around 8pm!
These roadside stalls sell popiah, muah chee, hokkien mee, char kway teow, lor bak, curry mee, wantan mee, chee cheong fun, satay, laksa, and more!
12. Kimberley Street Food Night Market
Between Chulia Street and Kimberly Street Food Night Market, we personally think the latter has better food. And places to sit too (albeit limited) if you patronize the beverage shops in the same street.
Here, you can try other Penang dishes like duck meat kway chap and oyster omelet (oh chien). There are not as many savory options compared to desserts here. But they taste better, in our opinion.
Prices are still reasonable too.
13. Ferringhi Garden
Undoubtedly, the best thing about Ferringhi Garden is the ambiance!
It’s hard to beat dining outdoors when it’s in such a lovely mature garden! The indoor seating is equally cozy with liberal use of timber!
Western food like spaghetti, seafood platters and steak feature on the menu. This is also an ideal spot for breakfast as the coffee barista meets Melbourne standards!
- Location: 34, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, Kampung Batu Feringgi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5pm to 10:30pm (*Last order at 9:30pm)
- Contact: +604-881 1193 (Call), +6016-415 8835 (WhatsApp)
14. Fine Dining At The Indigo Restaurant (The Blue Mansion)
The Blue Mansion’s stunning on-site restaurant is on the first floor and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
A fusion of Western and Eastern prevails in both the interior and menu! The chef hails from Penang and has over 10 years of international culinary experience!
Steep prices ensure exclusivity. And you can expect faultless service while you’re here!
- Lunch menu has a more reasonable price point
- Dinner guests get to join the evening tours of the mansion at 6:30pm
- Location: 14, Lebuh Leith, George Town, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 3pm; 6:30pm to 10pm
- Contact: +604-262 0006
For other fine dinining options, head on over to our article on the top places for fine dining in penang island for a more detailed list!
Have A Late Cuppa At A Night Cafe In Penang
15. Wheelers Café Penang
Healthy food, a clean environment, commendable filter coffee, air-conditioning and a satisfying drinks menu makes Wheelers a favorite with tourists around Love Lane!
Prices are acceptable considering that the portions are large and that the pork-free food is tasty!
Do try their double cheese burger and signature espresso chicken! There are vegan options too!
And they have a set breakfast (daily) and lunch menu (weekdays only) available for dine-in guests!
- Location: 67, Lorong Love, George Town, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 12am
- Contact: +6019-524 7703
16. Narrow Marrow
It’s really easy to miss the front of this café with its tinted windows and potted plants on Carnarvon Street!
Keeping much of the original 2-storey pre-war shophouse intact, Narrow Marrow specializes in coffee (particularly black coffee) and cheese cakes!
Note: There are some savory bites too
Cake Flavors That They Have:
- Matcha Rum
- Expresso Kahlua Tiramisu
- Salted Gula Melaka
- Apple Crumble
- Location: 252A, Lebuh Carnarvon, George Town, 10100 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 3pm to 11pm (Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
- Contact: +6014-303 6647 or +604-226 3083
17. Hard Rock Cafe Penang
At Hard Rock Café Penang, you can order American favorites like burgers, pizza, beer, decadent milkshakes, brownies and sundaes, salads and New York cheese cake! In huge portions!
There’s a live band performance every day too from 10.30pm to 2.00am.
And naturally, music memorabilia deck the walls of the café! While the on-site Rock Shop® sells Hard Rock Cafe Penang t-shirts, caps, pins and others!
- Location: Ground floor of Hard Rock Hotel, Batu Ferringhi Beach 11100, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 12pm to 11pm; Friday & Saturday from 12pm to 12am
- Contact: +604-886 8050
Chinahouse beckons with its multiple establishments within 3 linked heritage shop-houses! All surrounding a beautiful courtyard with a public pool!
A library is at the top floor with drawing materials free for public use!
Cafes: Kopi C
- BTB (middle-eastern fusion cuisine)
- The Canteen (live music on the weekends!)
Bar: Vine & Single
Shops: Bonton Shop 2 (jewelry shop)
Bakery: Beach Street Bakery (many many different types of cakes!)
- Location: 153, Beach St, Georgetown, 10300 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9:30am to 1am
- Contact: +604-263 7299
Read more: 19 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
Check Out Penang’s Night Scene! (Pubs, Bars & Nightclubs)
19. Three Sixty Revolving Restaurant And Rooftop Bar
Right on top of Bayview Hotel is a revolving restaurant and rooftop bar with floor-to-ceiling windows! It doesn’t matter where you sit as the whole restaurant will complete its circuit gradually!
The intimate space is suitable for a birthday or private celebration! They serve local and western food in buffet style. With imported beer on tap!
And it goes without saying that this is another spot to see the sunset! Against Penang’s skyline!
- Location: 25-A, Lebuh Farquhar, George Town, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 4pm to 1am
- Contact: +604-261 3540
20. Sky Terrace (Penang Hill)
On weekends, this place is usually full of families. The food is good and there’s a spectacular view of Penang!
Note: If you go during lunch time, you can take advantage of the lunch set which comes with enough food to share!
In fact, this is a prime spot for watching the fireworks on New Year’s Eve as you can sit outside in the garden! And have drinks from the bar while you listen to the live band in the evening!
- Location: Strawberry Hill, Penang Hill, Bukit Bendera, 11300 Air Itam, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 9pm
- Contact: +6018-409 6277
21. Kara Kara
Sporting a futuristic interior, Kara Kara offers tasty food (including sharing platters), Japanese desserts as well as cocktails.
Warm service, current music, and a DJ make Kara Kara a very welcoming place for those looking for a good time with friends.
Sometimes, there is a live band performing too.
This is a pet-friendly venue and customers can bring their furry companions here if they want to. In spite of the higher price point, Kara Kara is a thriving hang out spot in this part of town.
- Location: 5B, Pengkalan Weld, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday, 2pm–2am; Friday to Sunday, 2pm-3am
- Contact: +6017-2706729
22. The Pokok – All Day Bar
With a live band playing under their namesake tree, The Pokok – All Day Bar attracts a crowd to take up their open-air seating. Rain is not a deterrent either.
In fact, it can get very crowded at The Pokok – All Day Bar on weekends.
PS: Those sitting outdoors will have to tolerate the humidity of the outdoors.
If you choose to sit upstairs at The Pokok – All Day Bar, you might find the service slower since the staff focuses on the outdoor seating.
Cold draught beer of many different brands is available at The Pokok – All Day Bar. Just mind that not all of the brands apply for their happy hour.
The food at The Pokok – All Day Bar is average at best. But there are nearby roadside hawker stalls if you want more options.
- Location: Lot, 227, Chulia St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: 4pm-2am
- Contact: +6012-5456152
23. BoraBora @ Ferringhi
Beach bars more your thing? Besides its location right on the beach, BoraBora@Ferringhi even has fire dance performances around 8pm.
Hence, seating on the terrace is the most sought after (for the killer sunset views too).
The menu consists of Western fare like pasta, fish and chips, and finger food. You do have to spend at least RM50 to get to stay here longer.
Portions run small and thus, it is pricey to dine here. Service can be slow and the foreign staff rude and inattentive at times.
But for lovely sunset views, great nighttime entertainment, potent cocktails and cold beer, BoraBora@Ferringhi is an ideal venue to share with a special someone or friends.
- Location: 72D, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: 12:30pm-1am; Friday & Saturday, 12:30pm–2am; Closed on Wednesdays
- Contact: +604-8851313
Stay Out Late At One Of Penang’s Live Streets!
24. Love Lane Penang Nightlife
Love Lane Penang is sure to be on any list of things to do in Penang at night!
Many of the daytime eateries double up as pubs perfect for people watching and socializing!
And there’s usually another nighttime haunt just beside or right around the corner if you want to bar-crawl!
- Holy Guacamole
- The Loft
- Micke’s Place
25. Chulia Street Penang Nightlife
Like Love Lane, Chulia Street is famous for its lively night scene! This area is popular with foreign tourists looking for cocktails and beer.
There are many venues to try and they are all walking distance from each other.
- Chulia Court The Tavern
- The Original Reggae Club
- The Pokok – All Day Bar
- Rockafellas Kitchen & Bar
RayTheTour is a private tour service that will bring your Penang experience to another level!
Why You Should Book With RayTheTour:
- Comfortable and spacious transport – van or MPV
- Direct pick up (and drop off) at any Penang location
- Standard hours are flexible around 9am to 6pm
- Go anywhere you want with no fixed itinerary!
- Our team has local guides who speak English or Chinese
- How To Get From Penang Airport To Georgetown (4 Easy Ways)
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
- Best Way To Travel From Langkawi To Penang (All Methods + Cheap Option)
Boredom is out of the question with so many things to do in Penang at night! From sunset and right until after midnight!
Penang nightlife is just as rich as its daytime persona. Don’t forget to check for any upcoming events and festivals too!