Penang durian farms have been around for generations at this point. And many of them are pesticide-free.
Fans of the King of Fruits will agree that the best durian in Penang come from the farms in rural Penang. In fact, locals and tourists flock to Penang every year without fail to savor this seasonal fruit!
If you’re a durian fan too, here is our list of recommendations on the top places to eat durian in Penang!
Table Of Contents:
- Where To Eat Best Durian In Penang
- Penang Durian Farm
- Penang Durian Season
- Getting To Places To Eat Durian In Penang
11 Best Places To Eat Durian In Penang
You don’t necessarily have to go all the way to Balik Pulau if you’re wondering where to eat durian in Penang.
Where To Eat Durian In George Town
Instead, you can look out for these 5 durian mobile stalls right in George Town.
1. Ah Teik Durian Stall Lorong Susu
Ah Teik Durian Stall is the most reputable durian stall in Penang.
More than 30 types of durians are for sale here! Including Milk Durian (Durian Susu), XO, Black Thorn, Capri, and Red Prawn Durian (Ang Heh Durian).
It certainly gets expensive but the durian is fresh!
Gloves are available if you do not want your hands to smell like durian! And credit card payment is accepted here.
- Location: Lorong Susu, 10450 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10:30pm
- Contact: +6012-438 3881
2. Khor Hun Hin’s “Musang King” Durian Stall
Opposite Ah Teik Stall is Khor Hun Hin’s “Musang King” Durian Stall. Tuck into the luscious Musang King that is also the name of the truck stall!
In peak season, they have a menu of durians from Penang mainland and Penang Island. And some from Perak too!
- Location: 63, Jalan Macalister, George Town, 11400 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10pm
- Contact: +6016-460-0157
3. Ang Hock Leng Durian On Jalan Anson
Ang Hock Leng Durian is otherwise known as Anson Road Durian. You can pinpoint their durian truck by the colorful tarps along Jalan Anson!
There are tables and chairs at the back of the stall if you want to immediately enjoy your durian too.
Although the price is slightly higher, locals are willing to pay for the excellent quality! Go early as the stall will close once all the durians are sold out!
- Location: 121, Jalan Anson, George Town, 10400 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 8pm
- Contact: +6019-412 1616
4. Tua Bui Teik Durians
Tua Bui Teik Durians has been selling local durians for over 10 years! And this is where you can go for affordable durians without breaking the bank. For reference, 6 durians can cost under RM300.
These are local durians from Balik Pulau as well as other areas – Ah Teik will not withhold information on where his durians come from, you just have to ask if you’re curious!
We really recommend this Penang durian stall for genuine and dependable service. Beginners can leave it to humble and trustworthy Ah Teik to pick the best durian that fits your taste!
- Location: 71-73, Jalan Perak, Jelutong, 11600 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 8:30pm
- Contact: +6012-430 1616
5. Durian Central @ Macalister Road
Prices are on the steep side but at least you don’t have to go to the other side of Penang to grab a variety of quality durians.
This humble stall run by an elderly couple is at the intersection between Jalan Macalister and Jalan Kek Chuan.
Their selection includes Black Thorn, the infamous Musang King. As well as other intriguing varieties like Holo or Undang Merah. Alongside D11 and D168 (IOI).
The service is commendable too. And they’ve been in operation for more than 4 years at this point!
- Location: 63 Macalister Road, George Town, 10400 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 11pm
- Contact: +6010-9001288
6. Ah Teik Zai Durian Stall
Across from New World Park, Ah Teik Zai Durian Stall doesn’t sell durians for cheap but the durians are alright if you don’t want to go further for your durian craving!
They do have tables and chairs under a shaded canopy (with fans) for customers to eat durian at their leisure.
As for variety, they carry a selection of Musang King, Black Thorn, Golden Lobster, Udang Merah, Capri, Ho Lor, and Xiao Hong.
- Location: No,100A/B, Jalan Burma, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10:30pm
- Contact: +6012-9875200
Where To Eat Durian At Other Places In Penang
Durian connoisseurs will find it worthwhile to head to the outskirts of the city!
As there is usually a wider selection available at the source (i.e. the durian farms) rather than in the city. Along with other tropical fruits too!
7. Song Hai’s Durian
Song Hai Durian sells their durian in a housing estate of Gelugor.
Other than durians, customers can also purchase fruits like cempedak, nangka, and mangosteen!
They also accommodate tours too and host durian parties right at Song Hai’s Durian Orchard where you can eat the freshest durian straight out of the 52-year old orchard!
This is an ideal spot for a durian buffet if that’s on your agenda!
- Location: 26, Lintang Merak, Desa Permai Indah, 11700 Gelugor, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 9am to 8pm
- Contact: +6019-474 4439
8. Durian Kaki (脚標榴莲)
Durian Kaki is set next to a plantation in Relau. The owner, Tan won the title of Raja Durian back in 2001! He owns multiple plantations on Penang Island!
Go on an eating spree at their durian buffet in the shade of their wooden roadside stalls. Or taste their succulent mangosteen!
Try Raja Kunyit durian here if you can. Though this is also a great opportunity to try D24, Hor Lor, or Black Thorn durians.
It’s good to note that they accept cashless payments like Alipay, Boost, and credit cards.
- Location: 829D, Jln Paya Terubung, Relau, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9:30am to 8pm
- Contact: +6019-589 8998
9. Shan Cheng Durian Penang
Harvested straight from the farm with 50+ year old trees, Shan Cheng’s pesticide-free mountain durians taste exceptionally aromatic!
Make sure you give their Red Prawn and Green Skin a go!
Drop them a call before turning up during off-season. You can also secure the durians you want by making a reservation!
- Location: 748B, Mk6, Jalan Pondok Upih, 11000 Balik Pulau, Penang Island
- Contact: +6010-274 8988
10. 1818 Durian & Fruit Dealer
1818 Durian & Fruit Dealer is another place to go for a full range of durians at a fair price! A wide selection of tropical fruits is available too.
1818’s durians are fresh from Balik Pulau! They also supply durians to other states in Malaysia.
- Location: MK 2, 125, Jalan Sungai Pinang, Kampung Sungai Pinang, 11010 Balik Pulau, Penang Island
- Contact: +6016-475 6176
11. Wong Durian House
On the west coast of Penang in Kampung Sungai:
Wong Durian House have their own orchard with a dozen durian varieties – namely Musang King, Red Prawn, Hor Lor, and Black Thorn. But also other durian species like Green Skin, Khun Poh, 604, and No.11.
If you time your visit right (Peak season is typically June), you’ll get to sample their mangosteens and rambutans too.
You can enjoy your durian under the shade of a canopy and the surrounding durian trees.
- Location: 401 MK A, Kampung Sungai Pinang, 11010 Balik Pulau, Pulau Pinang
- Contact: +6016-4008066
Penang Durian Farm
Most of the Penang Durian Farms are in Balik Pulau!
You can even book a durian farm stay and satiate your durian cravings from morning to evening while learning the ins and outs of a durian plantation in Penang!
1. Bao Sheng Durian Farm Penang
Go on a Penang durian buffet at Bao Sheng Durian Farm, an organic durian farm!
There are 2 day visit options to choose from – either a 2-hour session (RM120/person) or a half-day pass (RM250/person).
Durian enthusiasts can also stay at their durian farm accommodation (with a pool!). Which comes with the chance to experience the unusual numbing effect of durian!
- Location: 150 Mk2 Sungai Pinang, Balik Pulau, 11000 Penang, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 7pm
- Contact: +6012-411 0600
Read more: 11 Best Homestays In Penang
2. Green Acres Orchard & Ecolodge
Green Acres Orchard & Ecolodge is another organic durian farm that you can visit in Penang. And they support sustainable living and having a low carbon footprint as well.
Stay in an ecolodge or treehouse accommodation surrounded by hundreds of century-old durian trees! You can even hear durians falling during the main season.
Or join their Penang durian tour at their 16-acre farm in Balik Pulau, which includes durian and fruit tasting!
- Location: Batu Itam, Balik Pulau, Penang, Malaysia (5.37473, 100.25139)
- Email: [email protected]
- Price (Peak Season): RM100+ (Tour), ~RM400 (1 night stay), ~RM530 (3D2N)
3. 406 Dusun Durian Balik Pulau
A hillside durian plantation with a view of Pulau Betong:
406 Dusun Durian Balik Pulau invites durian enthusiasts to make appointments during the durian season (typically from mid may to July).
They have different varieties of durians and for reasonable prices. Both the owner and his wife are friendly too.
When it’s not durian season, 406 Dusun Durian Balik Pulau is open for campers to book. Besides proper shower and toilet facilities, they rent out BBQ grills, tents and other equipment or you can bring your own camping gear.
- Location: Kampung Genting Dalam, 11000 Balik Pulau, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am–8pm
- Contact: +6012-4277406
4. Lim Brothers Orchard
The Lim Brothers’ durian orchard (or Peng Siew Farm) is literally in their backyard! In fact, there are as many as 20 breeds of durians here.
Their Musang King is the most sought-after of their durians.
But while you’re here, you can also watch how they sort and grade eggs in the poultry farm within the vicinity!
PS: If you live in Penang, you may want to grab the opportunity to buy fresh farm eggs while you can!
- Location: 51 Mukim 5, Titi Serong, Balik Pulau, 11000, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 7pm
- Contact: +604-866 8551
Read more: 13 Best Breakfast In Penang – With Local, Western Cafe & Halal Options
5. Durian Rumah Batu, Stone House Plantation
In the hilly region of Balik Pulau, is this organic 5-acre durian farm with a stone house thought to be hundreds of years old which may have been used to be a communist base!
The popular farm boasts 50+ year old trees and is also not far off from the first Little Red tree to bear Xiao Hong durian!
Do try their Red Prawn and Ang Hay durians if you get the chance. It’s also advisable to make a booking for your durians during peak season as many local durian fans know about the Stone House!
Moreover, it is quite a drive to this plantation and you don’t want to end up disappointed if the durian you want is out of stock!
- Location: 127, Mukim 2, Sungai Pinang, 11010 Balik Pulau, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 9pm (Closed on Thursdays)
- Contact: +6012-538 5128
6. CHOO Family Durian Orchard (Green)
CHOO Family Durian Orchard is off the beaten track on the outskirts of Balik Pulau. They serve their patrons at their house porch, surrounded by durian trees!
Eat only the freshest organic durian in a homey setting!
However, it’s best to give them a call before you visit as they may run short of durians at times!
- Location: Jalan Pantai Acheh, 11000 Balik Pulau, Penang Island
- Contact: +6013-513 4341
Read more: 21 Famous Penang Street Food To Try (The Only List You Need!)
7. 8321 Durian Plantation
There’s no better place to enjoy a hearty Penang durian buffet than 8321 Durian Plantation! Sometimes, they host all-you-can-eat buffets at ~RM65/adult.
They serve fresh and premium quality durians like Musang King and Hor Lor, with Capri (or Kapri) as their specialty.
This must-try durian grows on very old trees, giving them a unique liquor taste. You can actually see the orchard from the designated seating area.
- Location: Jalan Teluk Bahang, George Town, Penang Island
- Contact: +6016-434 4263
Penang Durian Season
June and July is the main season for durians and this is when all-you-can-eat durian buffets will spring up! And there may be cendol durian for sale in Penang too!
The entire season usually lasts from mid-May to mid-August depending on the climate.
Read more: 11 Best Asam Laksa In Penang – Satisfy Your Tastebuds With This Iconic Malaysian Dish!
Getting To Places To Eat Durian In Penang
Still unsure which durian stalls or durian farms you should visit?
Let RayTheTour help you out! We offer private tour services around Penang, showing you the best of Penang!
Why You Should Book Our Service:
- Pickup and dropoff service before and after the tour
- Transportation and petrol are covered
- Travel in spacious MPVs or vans
- You can request for Chinese or English-speaking guides
- Local tour guides who know Penang well
- Customizable itinerary to accommodate your needs
- RayTheTour has tours in Ipoh, Taiping, and Cameron Highlands too
- 4 Best Ways For Getting Around Penang (With All Penang Transport Options)
- How To Get From Penang Airport To Georgetown (4 Easy Ways)
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
- Best Way To Travel From Langkawi To Penang (All Methods + Cheap Option)
If it’s going to be your first time visiting a Penang durian farm, you cannot go wrong with the famous Black Thorn and Musang King varieties!
And if one day isn’t enough, you can always book a farm stay at one of the many organic durian farms at Balik Pulau! Or get durians vacuum-packed and bring them home (Note: Check with your chosen airlines first)!
Want to see other fruit as well as durian? Check out the Tropical Fruit Farm in Teluk Bahang, Penang.