Penang Laksa is synonymous with Penang famous food! And is always included in every list of best food in Penang!
Even though this unique dish can be found all over Malaysia, it’s the Penang famous assam laksa that has put this iconic Malaysian dish on the global map!
Once you get to Penang, you’ll realize there isn’t just one place that does this dish justice! For starters, we’ll breakdown 11 places you can get amazing Penang laksa!
- Penang Road Famous Laksa
- Pasar Air Itam Laksa
- Sin Hwa Coffee Shop Assam Laksa
- My Own Café
- Kuih Nyonya Moh Teng Pheow
- Luk Yea Yan Vegetarian Restaurant
- Tan Jetty Assam Laksa
- Asam Laksa At Restaurant Taman Emas
- Kim Seng Laksa Balik Pulau
- RELAU 88 妈妈味（古早味）
11 Best Assam Laksa In Penang
1. Penang Road Famous Laksa
You can now find this popular laksa stall on Lebuh Keng Kwee selling laksa together with their equally famous chendul!
It used to be at Joo Hooi Coffee Shop for many decades.
Those who prefer assam laksa with a milder taste will like Penang Road Famous Laksa! As a bonus, they have generous slices of sardines and mackerel in their broth!
- Location: 5, Lebuh Keng Kwee, George Town, 10100 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 5:30pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +6016-446 0453
2. Pasar Air Itam Laksa / Penang Air Itam Laksa
However, if you like your assam laksa strongly flavored, then make your way over to this stall at Ayer Itam! They’ve been in business for more than 65 years!
Queues are a regular phenomenon at this market stall that is at the base of Kek Lok Si temple!
Their star ingredient is the hae ko, a thick sweetish prawn paste!
Other ingredients like pineapple, turmeric, slices of mackerel, mint, lettuce, cucumber, onions and ginger complete the appetizing dish!
Note: Now they only open 3 weekends per month. Please check the latest update on their Facebook page to confirm which weekends they are open.
- Location: 1, Jalan Pasar, Pekan Ayer Itam, 11500 Ayer Itam, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Weekends from 11am–6pm
- Contact: +6012-500 7063
3. Sin Hwa Coffee Shop Assam Laksa
Along Burmah road, is a typical kopitiam with multiple stalls. One of which serves two versions of assam laksa!
Both are spicy but the soup-base uses tamarind or rich coconut milk (hence, the term lemak)!
The coconut milk tends to overwhelm the taste of the fish broth so do keep that in mind! Another dish that is a crowd-favorite here is the char kuay teow with seafood ingredients!
- Location: 329, Jalan Burma, George Town, 10350 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 5pm
- Contact: +6017-426 0903
Being in the midst of George Town means tourists naturally tend to gravitate to this air-conditioned stylish café that specializes in assam laksa!
They serve both the tangy assam laska and lemak laksa (or Nyonya). And offer a vegetarian version of the dish too!
However, if you like your assam laksa strongly flavored, you may not like these!
You can even order prawn crackers or spring rolls to accompany your laksa!
Note: The Nyonya laksa is only available on weekends.
- Location: No.117A, Jalan Hutton, George Town, 10050 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11:30am to 7pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact: +604-229 9178
5. My Own Café
Halal with a Peranakan-inspired design:
My Own Café serves a delicious (and affordable) assam laksa that is suitable for people who don’t want their laksa too fishy or thick.
Other highly recommended dishes are their fried chicken with belacan and char koay teow! And we think it’s worth mentioning that their service is excellent!
- Location: 2, Cannon Street, George Town, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 11am–5pm; Saturday & Sunday, 10am–5pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +6016-485 1050
6. Kuih Nyonya Moh Teng Pheow
Moh Teng Pheow may be a Nyonya kuih specialty shop. But they do serve some savory dishes as well. A well-balanced Penang assam laksa being one of them!
It’s a 90-year old traditional pastry shop so don’t expect too much for ambiance! Visitors can enter through the unassuming kitchen in the front, to the back where the tables are!
- Location: Lebuh Chulia, Jalan Masjid, 10200 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 10:30am to 5pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact: +6012-4152677
7. Luk Yea Yan Vegetarian Restaurant
For a vegetarian lunch, head over to Luk Yea Yan! They have affordable mixed rice (economy rice) options with mock meat adaptations of satay or meat balls!
As well as a good selection of local favorites like bak kut teh, pasembur and assam laksa but vegetarian! Try and find a seat inside if you want air-conditioning!
- Location: 33, Lorong Madras, 10400 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am–3pm, 5:30pm–9pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
Read more: 13 Best Breakfast In Penang – With Local, Western Cafe & Halal Options
8. Tan Jetty Assam Laksa
Note: Temporarily Closed
You can’t miss this Penang assam laksa as it happens to be just in front of Tan Jetty, one of the historical clan jetties of Penang!
This rendition of assam laksa sticks to the use of sardines rather than mackerel. Which reduces the fishy taste!
- Location: 50, Pengkalan Weld, George Town, 10300 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 5pm (Closed on Sundays)
9. Asam Laksa At Restaurant Taman Emas, Gottlieb Road
Locals are well aware of the assam laksa at Taman Emas (or Peng Hua Laksa) opposite the Chinese girls’ school! It’s a corner shop at Jalan Gottlieb!
This is classic Penang assam laksa albeit less sour, with generous portions of mackerel, pineapple, onions and of course, the prawn paste!
Ask for extra chili if you like your laksa really spicy!
- Location: 1, Jalan Gottlieb, George Town, 10350 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11pm to 5:15pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact: +6016-480 6558
10. Kim Seng Laksa Balik Pulau
On the east coast of Penang, is stall-turned-kopitiam that has been serving Penang assam laksa for 80 years!
So if you’re looking for an authentic Penang version of this traditional Malaysian food, try it here.
Besides this, you can try Thai laksa or Siam laksa here too! It’s similar to lemak laksa as it uses coconut milk!
Ultimately, Kim laksa (as locals call it) stands out because of their fresh mackerel slices (more like chunks) and the use of assam gelugur instead of the more potent tamarind!
- Location: 20, Jalan Sungai Air Putih, Bandar Baru Air Putih, 11000 Balik Pulau, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 4pm (Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays)
- Contact: +6012-428 6235
Note: This is the new location of the original Balik Pulau laksa stall that used to be at Nan Guang Kopitiam!
Read more: 11 Best Night Market In Penang – Monday To Sunday (Especially #5)
11. RELAU 88 妈妈味（古早味）
It’s easy to miss this hidden café in Bayan Lepas! The simple façade is further covered with greenery which shields the interior from passersby!
See, the café shares the premise with a garden supplies shop!
Inside the open-air shack is a mix of tables and chairs. And an incredible assam laksa that isn’t too sweet or too sour!
Try the cendol with homemade palm sugar while you’re here! This is in fact, one of the best places to have cendol in Penang!
- Location: Persiaran Paya Terubong 2, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Wednesday to Sunday 12pm to 5:30pm (Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays)
- Contact: +6012-444 4227
- 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
- 13 Best Restaurants In Penang (With Good Ratings)
- 11 Tasty Dim Sum Places In Penang (Curated List)
- 11 Delicious Prawn Noddle Sellers In Penang (Best Eats)
- 11 Best Seafood Restaurants In Penang (Recommended By Locals)
- 11 Best Steamboat Servers In Penang (Detailed Guide)
Finding Good Laksa In Penang
Want to have a local show you their favorite place to have Penang laksa?
With RayTheTour private day tours, you can learn much more about Penang than you would on your own!
It certainly helps to have less to worry about when it comes to transport too!
- Comfortable transport – van or MPV depending on your needs
- Direct pick up from your hotel or the Penang Airport
- We do tours for Ipoh, Cameron Highlands, Taiping and more!
- Drop off at your hotel after the tour
- Flexible Penang itinerary from morning to evening!
Book a tour with RayTheTour through their WhatsApp!
Which Penang assam laksa should you try? Some of these places are in George Town while others are a bit further. But are worth seeking out anyways!
And out of the dozen or so places that we have listed in this post, there are milder or stronger variations of assam laksa. As well as a less common version of the dish known as Nyonya lemak laksa!