Breakfast in Penang is a golden opportunity to try Penang food! Don’t just stick to your hotel’s room service!
The best breakfast in Penang doesn’t have to be an authentic local breakfast either. Because if you want to switch up flavors, there is an abundance of Penang breakfast cafes that serve western food too.
Just take a look at these options!
Table Of Contents:
13 Best Breakfast In Penang
Local Breakfast In Penang
Many Malaysians love having nasi lemak or a bowl of noodles for breakfast! Together with teh tarik or kopi-o!
Thus, it’s not uncommon for the local coffee shops (i.e. kopitiams) to open as early as 6:30am!
If you go early, you can have the benefit of a quieter atmosphere and a larger choice of add-ons for your noodles.
1. Lee Huat Cafe 利发茶室
Have authentic hawker-style breakfast at Lee Huat Cafe 利发茶室 with a great selection of local noodles:
There’s good curry mee, prawn mee (Hokkien mee), Jawa mee, wanton mee, koey teow t’ng, lam mee, etc. The toast (roti bakar) is worth a try too! The environment of the cafe is considerably clean as well.
If you’re driving here, this cafe is quite inconspicuous from the busy road. And parking is not the easiest, given that everyone wants to eat here! This is particularly true on weekends.
Don’t forget to pay the parking fee of RM2!
- Location: 377-B, Jln Masjid Negeri, Taman Green Lane, 11600 Jelutong, Penang
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday, 8am–1pm; Opens at 6:30am on Mondays
2. Kong Thai Lai New Coffee Shop
Despite having to move from its original location on Hutton Lane:
Kong Thai Lai continues to serve affordable and excellent local coffee and one of the best roti bakar (i.e. toast) in town! With homemade kaya (i.e. coconut jam)!
And if homemade kaya doesn’t tickle your fancy, they have delicious peanut butter toast instead!
You can also order char kuey teow, nasi lemak and fried rice!
- Location: 38, Leith St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7:30am to 3pm (Except Sundays)
- Contact: +6011-2344 7832
3. Bee Hwa Café
Grab a buddy and you can try everything at Bee Hwa Café besides their signature char kuey teow. There is curry mee, Hokkien mee, laksa, kuey teow soup etc. There’s also kaya toast if you want something lighter.
To be fair, the char kuey teow is not mind-blowing (it lacks some wok hei in our opinion and cockles are an add-on ingredient for RM3) but the portion is small which gives you an opportunity to try the rest of the food at this kopitiam.
Note: Pork-free and clean establishment but there is no air-conditioning
For beverages, you’ll do your tastebuds a favor by ordering the ice cham or their kopi-O.
To avoid the pains of finding parking or having to wait long for your order, try to get here as early as possible. The affordable food tends to run out around lunch time.
If you do see a thick crowd here, come back another time as the food is not worth the long wait (sometimes, for an hour).
- Location: 10, Lebuh Dickens, George Town, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: 7am–3pm (Closed on Sunday)
- Contact: +604-2636092
Read more: 11 Best Char Kuey Teow In Penang
4. 113 Duck Meat Koay Teow Soup
This unassuming coffee shop is normally packed with people at lunchtime:
Koay Teow soup usually has slices of shredded chicken but this place serves it with duck meat!
There is the option to add homemade fish balls, duck intestines, and bean sprouts. Do specify if you don’t want these in!
Go for their flavorful duck meat koay teow th’ng (clear soup) over their duck meat koay chiap (brown soup)!
For those who want something more exciting, you can enjoy their braised duck meat and intestines. This item is one of their must-try dishes!
- Location: 113, Lebuh Melayu, George Town, 10300 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: 7am to 2:30pm; Closed on Sundays
5. Hot Bowl White Curry Mee
There are a couple of must try dishes at Hot Bowl White Curry Mee despite the name.
We highly recommend trying the tender and boneless steamed chicken (with beansprouts as part of a chicken rice meal).
If you’re here for the white curry mee, do note that this rendition doesn’t include duck blood in the broth. But the sambal is tasty and certainly packs a punch if you add more.
Other ingredients in the curry mee include cockles and fragrant santan. But you can also order sides like the super soft braised chicken feet to supplement your meal.
As with any hyped eatery in Penang however, you’ll have to contend with a lack of parking and a crowded dining environment if you choose to dine here.
- Location: 58, Jalan Rangoon, 10400 George Town, Pulau Pinang
- Opening Hours: 8am–3pm (Closed on Monday)
- Contact: +604-2273168
6. Zim Sum Restaurant
Have a variety of dim sum for breakfast at this busy establishment! Where the prices are reasonable too!
Notable menu items include:
- Siew mai (Pork dumplings)
- Fried yam balls
- Egg tarts
- Turnip fried with bean sprouts
- Glutinous rice
- Har gao (i.e. prawn dumplings)
Note: There’s no coffee here. Just Chinese tea.
- Location: No. 62, Jalan Macalister, George Town, 10400, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6:30am to 1:30pm; Closed on Tuesdays
- Contact: +6014-302 9177
Western Breakfast In Penang
There are almost just as many western breakfast places in Penang as there are local eateries in Georgetown:
7. Big Ben Breakfast & Western
In Malaysia, western food is usually more expensive than local food. But this café keeps the prices lower by maintaining a no-frills ambiance.
Note: No air-conditioning here.
You can come here after a run at the Penang Botanic Gardens to sit down to their signature Big Ben breakfast set!
They have sandwiches, pasta, local coffee and toast too!
- Location: 674, Jalan Kebun Bunga, Pulau Tikus, 10350 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 2pm; 5pm to 10:30pm (On Wednesdays, they open at 8am to 2:30pm, and again from 5pm to 9:30pm)
- Contact: +6016-500 2286
8. Penang Yin’s Sourdough Bakery And Café
Craving for some freshly-baked sourdough bread, bagels or pizza?
At Yin’s Sourdough Bakery And Café, you can have sourdough bread with homemade pineapple jam, almond butter, cheese or even grilled banana slices!
For drinks, try their western-style coffee or delightful kefir smoothies with tropical fruit!
On their website you can buy their packaged specialty foods like peanut spread, almond jam and kaya spreads!
- Location: 11, Pesara Claimant, George Town, 10100 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 5:30pm (Closed on Wednesday)
- Contact: +6011-2419 5118
9. Let’s Meat
Let’s Meat is an authentic American restaurant in a residential area not far from Penang Avatar Secret Garden and a quaint little park:
Eggs Benedict, pancakes, American biscuits, and the pulled pork and steak sandwiches are all delicious! And come in generous portions!
In fact, we got the Big American breakfast and were surprised that it came with a stack of pancakes – as you can see in the photo below.
To make sure you don’t miss out on their scrumptious breakfast menu, be sure to be there between 8:30 to 11:30 am.
The other highlight is the children’s play area where they encourage kids to read more (you get discounts if you read more) Don’t forget to order one of their milkshakes!
However, because of how far this place is from Georgetown Penang, we do not think it’s worth the journey here. And it’s not an absolute must-try if you only have a limited time in Penang.
- Location: 18, Lebuh Lembah Permai 4, Tanjung Tokong, 11200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8:30am to 5:30pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +6016-215 4234
10. Urban Daybreak
Next on the list, Urban Daybreak touts Australian-style breakfast, brunch and lunch!
Blue walls and decorative red windows mark the interior of the narrow but cozy space.
Ann’s Big One is their massive breakfast set that comes with salad and their homemade pork sausages!
Besides this, there are savory waffles, French toast, burgers, omelets, bagels, pasta and sandwiches!
Note: Their shakes and floats are very agreeable!
- Location: 338, Lebuh Pantai, George Town, 10300 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7:30am to 3:30pm (Closed on Tuesdays)
Read more: Or Try These Western Restaurants In Penang
Halal Breakfast In Penang
All the places we have listed up till now include pork in their menus so to be fair to our Muslim readers:
Here are some halal eateries so you don’t have to miss out! The first 2 are already on our Penang food list which makes them easy to tick off your bucket list!
11. Ali Nasi Lemak Daun Pisang
Right from the moment the shop opens, you can tell from the long line of customers that this is one of the best nasi lemak stalls in Penang!
Add on some fish, squid or prawns if you want! Watch the satisfying way they prepare the nasi lemak in batches!
Note: This is not the classic nasi lemak with cucumbers and a sweeter taste!
- Location: Sri Weld Food Court, Beach St, George Town, 10300 George Town, Penang Island
- Opening Hours:
- Monday to Friday 7:30am to 2pm
- Saturday 7:30am to 1pm
- Closed on Sundays
- Contact: +6016-407 0717
Read more: 11 Best Seafood Restaurants In Penang (Recommended By Locals)
12. Gemas Road Roti Canai
Gemas Road Roti Canai serves Indian paratha and parotta (i.e. roti canai) a bit differently:
With a slice of cheese, Sunnyside up eggs and raw onions! To go with any of their 3 available curry flavors – dhal, chicken or beef curry!
The peak time is between 9am and 11:30am!
Note: The teh tarik is sweet. Ask for less sugar if that’s your preference!
- Location: 51, 29, Jalan Gemas, Taman Kampar, 10460 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: 7am to 12:30pm (Closed on Mondays)
- Contact: +6016-434 5786
Read more: Penang Famous Cendol – 9 Best Cendol In Penang That You Can Try Today!
13. Nasi Kandar Kampong Melayu
All the way in Ayer Itam, this reputable nasi kandar stall has a loyal following (of Penangites and locals from other states) for its homemade curries and fresh ingredients! Like squid and beef!
They open really early so you can have yourself a hearty breakfast before checking out Kek Lok Si temple!
Prepare yourself for a long queue on weekends! Or try these other famous nasi kandar in Penang.
Note: Not easy to find parking here!
- Location: A-29, Jalan Kampung Melayu, Kampung Melayu, 11500 Ayer Itam, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6:30am to 1:30pm and again from 4:00pm to 10:00pm (Not open for dinner on Mondays)
- Contact: +6010-450 3434
Getting To Penang Breakfast Places
Want to find more hidden food spots? You can trust the local travel guides from RayTheTour to bring you to their favorite breakfast haunts!
More about the private tour service:
- Completely flexible itinerary from morning till evening
- They have tours in Ipoh, Cameron Highlands and in-between too!
- Vans and MPVs are part of the fleet
- Tour includes pick up and drop off from your hotel/ airport
- Chinese-speaking or English-speaking guides
- 4 Best Ways For Getting Around Penang (With All Penang Transport Options)
- How To Get From Penang Airport To Georgetown (4 Easy Ways)
Treat yourself to the best breakfast in Penang with this guide! You might just find your new favorite breakfast of all time!
PS: We have an awesome Penang travel guide for you too.
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links. We may receive a small commission for purchases or bookings made through these links at no extra cost to you. Thank you!