It has a dome-shaped exterior, similar to Singapore’s Flower Dome. In it, are a variety of insects, reptiles and over 15,000 free-flying butterflies!
Whether it’s for education or leisure, Entopia Butterfly Farm in Penang is one of the places to visit in Penang for all walks of life!
Table of Contents:
- Entopia Penang Location
- Opening Hours
- Entrance Fee
- Becoming Friends Of Entopia Members
- Entopia Penang Ticket Promotions
- Butterfly Park Facilities
- How To Go
- Other Attractions
History Of Penang Butterfly Farm
Founded in 1986 by David Goh, a teacher with a passion for butterflies and entomology, the Penang Butterfly Farm is one of the first tropical butterfly and insect sanctuaries in the world.
The butterfly farm is currently managed by David Goh’s son, Joseph Goh – the current CEO of Penang Butterfly Farm.
In recent years, the Penang Butterfly Farm has undergone a major face life, alongside a complete re-branding into Entopia.
As a major tourist attraction, Entopia also serves to foster interest in entomology within the Malaysian public, alongside raising awareness on butterfly conservation and habitat issues.
With awards like the Malaysian Tourism Gold Award and Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence:
Entopia is one of Penang’s leading attractions with millions of local and international visitors over the years!
Entopia Penang Location
Entopia Penang is in Teluk Bahang; a short drive away from Penang National Park.
Or a 1.5 hours (by public transport) from George Town!
- Address: 830 Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050 Penang, Penang Island, Malaysia
- Contact: +604-888 8111
Entopia Butterfly Farm Opening Hours
Entopia Butterfly Farm opens daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. They are closed on Wednesdays but are usually open on public holidays at their usual opening hours.
Do note that ticket sales and entry will not be allowed after 5:00 pm.
Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm Entrance Fee
If you happen to be Malaysian, remember to bring along your MyKad for a cheaper entry fee!
|Adult (13 years old & above)||RM75||RM59|
|Child (4 to 12 years old)||RM55||RM39|
|Senior Citizen (60 years old & above)||RM55||RM39|
Packages for different group sizes and families are also available.
|Family Package Deal||Standard||MyKad||Remark|
|2 Adults (Set A or B)||RM185||RM156||Food and drinks included|
|Child (Set D or E)||RM70||RM55||Food and drinks included|
|2 Adults + 2 Children||RM238||RM180||Only for walk-in visitors|
|2 Adults + 3 Children||RM282||RM212||Only for walk-in visitors|
|2 Adults + 4 Children||RM326||RM243||Only for walk-in visitors|
|2 Adults + 5 Children||RM370||RM274||Only for walk-in visitors|
|2 Adults + 6 Children||RM414||RM305||Only for walk-in visitors|
If you have more than 20 people in your group? You may be eligible for a discount too! But remember to make a booking 2 weeks before you visit!
Contact Entopia’s Sales Department at [email protected] for any inquiries.
Becoming Friends Of Entopia Members
Note: The membership programme, Friends Of Entopia is currently not available.
If you’re a frequent visitor, consider joining the Friends of Entopia membership plan!
|Membership Plans||Per Annum Fee|
|Individual Adult||RM 188.00|
|Individual Senior Citizen||RM 108.00|
|Family 2 Adults + 1 Child||RM 368.00|
|Family 2 Adults + 2 Children||RM 398.00|
|Family 2 Adults + 3 Children||RM 468.00|
Friends Of Entopia members can enjoy exclusive privileges, as well as have a positive impact on the butterfly farm and local community.
As members, you can enjoy:
- 25% discount when you buy entrance tickets for friends or family
- Other discounts (e.g. Nature Learning Programmes)
- 15% discount when you dine at Tapestree
- 15% discount when you shop at the Entopia Store (selected items only)
- Early invites to Entopia events and programmes
- Unlimited entry to Entopia for a whole year!
- Access to a members-only lounge (The Atlas) with free Wifi, coffee and tea.
- And more!
Entopia Penang Ticket Promotions
You can save up to 20% with some of the promotions that Entopia offers! Be sure to check their promotion page before you go!
Current 2023 promotions apply to locals (Penangites) and guests of Doubletree Resort By Hilton Penang.
Of course, Terms & Conditions do apply.
Or you can check out if there are better prices on Klook!
Butterfly Park Facilities
Look out for some of these facilities in the park!
- Free WiFi
- Nursing Rooms
- Helpdesks (EDU & FOE)
- Sick Bay
- The Atlas (members-only lounge)
- Tapestree Café
- Entopia Store
- The Sphere multi-function hall
1. Natureland – Outdoor Section
A living garden vivarium stretching 1.18km long, Natureland is the highlight of Entopia. It is a recreated ecological home for numerous insects and reptiles.
It’s also one of the largest butterfly gardens in Malaysia, with around 15,000 butterflies from across an average of 60 different species.
Many stunning butterflies flutter free in this oversized vivarium.
Surprising sightings of ducks and a monitor lizard enclosure make this garden unique too. And during our visit, we saw a flat frog, poison frog and other frogs.
Apart from the fauna, the flora is also exquisite, with over 200 types of plants. There are water features and ponds as well. The lush foliage provides shady spots here and there.
Note: The tropical heat makes this area quite humid.
Hibiscus, papaya, and other fruits that the butterflies like are strategically placed in the outdoor section for visitors to marvel as the insects feed.
Head over to the Hide and Seek section where visitors must spot and count as many stick bugs and leaf insects as possible. This is no easy task and a true testament to Mother Nature at her best as they camouflage seamlessly into their surroundings!
Main attractions include:
- Aroma Trail
- Dragon Path
- Mystery Cave
- Tiger Falls
- Home Tree
- David’s Garden
- Wear bright colors to attract butterflies to you
- Remember to check the weather forecast before buying your tickets
- Visitors can visit The Cocoon (indoor section) first if it rains
- Umbrellas are available upon request on rainy days
2. Cocoon – Indoor Section
A 2-storey indoor exhibition and activities with world-class facilities to self-explore the world of invertebrates!
Here you can take a break from the hot weather outside because it’s air-conditioned. Besides, there are plenty of knowledge boards and slides for the little ones to play too.
Entopia staff will bring in some non-venomous insects for visitors to hold. These include leaf insects and stick insects.
If you dare, go ahead and dangle a millipede around your wrist or arm! Be forewarned that the millipede may spray toxin in defence or out of stress, which may cause your skin to itch.
But there is help right there as the staff have sanitizer wipes ready.
Check out the bug with a face on its back and watch its face change as the insect takes flight. This is the man-faced stink bug. And everyone will want to catch a glimpse of its bright yellow body!
There’s also a lookout point where you can climb up and observe life underwater!
It was fun trying to figure out what we’re looking at. And interactive set ups like this one ensures there is never a dull moment in Entopia.
Main attractions include:
- Lumino City
- Downtown Entopia
- Understory Tales
- Underground Mysteries
- Pandora Forest
- Breeding Ground
3. Tapestree Café
Stop by for a quick refuel at the Tapestree in-house café located at Natureland (outdoor section).
Accommodating up to 40 people at a time, dine with butterflies in a natural outdoor space or relax in the air-conditioned indoors.
The café offers up Western and Asian cuisine with the food menu rotating every once in a while.
They also have a barista to satisfy your coffee cravings!
Tapestree Café is open from 10am to 5pm.
Note: Tapestree is officially Halal-certified.
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm Review
What you’ll like:
- The greenery and reptiles are just as interesting as the butterflies
- Improved facilities since the renovation
- Knowledgeable staff are helpful in providing explanations
- Certain sessions allow visitors to hold the scorpions, iguanas, and more
- 4pm butterfly release session allows you to release butterflies that have just evolved from pupa.
- Great for kids!
Good to know:
- Cooler in the mornings and evenings but butterflies are more active during sunny days!
- Dress light as the park can get quite warm.
- Watch where you step as butterflies may land on the ground
- Expect to spend a minimum of 2 hours in the park
- Getting a taxi back may take time
How To Go To Penang Butterfly Farm
1. By Tour:
Choose a private tour service like RayTheTour to take you to Penang Butterfly Farm and other Penang attractions in the area!
Reasons to book with RayTheTour:
- MPV or van transport (petrol and parking fees covered)
- English-speaking or Chinese-speaking guides
- Local guides who know their stuff!
- A super-customize-able Penang trip itinerary (morning to evening) – just let them know where you want to go!
- Pick up anywhere in Penang (and drop off too) on the day of your tour
- It’s easy to book (contact us on WhatsApp)
- They do tours in Ipoh, Cameron Highlands and Taiping too
- How To Get From Penang Airport To Georgetown (4 Easy Ways)
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
2. By Rapid Penang Bus:
Take bus 101 or 102 from Georgetown. Get off at Escape Theme Park next door.
|101||Jetty (Weld Quay)||~1 hour 10 minutes||10 minutes||RM4|
|102||Penang Airport||~1 hour 45 minutes||60 minutes||RM5|
|501||Balik Pulau||~1 hour 15 minutes||120 minutes||RM2|
3. By Grab/Taxi:
Use the Grab app to arrange for a driver to pick you up. Either that or you can take a taxi there!
If you’re driving,
- It’s a 30-minute drive away from Georgetown
- From George Town, use the coastal route to Teluk Bahang roundabout where you should exit at 9 o’clock.
- Continue straight for another 1.5km to Entopia
There is ample parking space for free!
Or park opposite Entopia at Perbadanan Bekalan Air (PBA)
Read more: 4 Best Ways For Getting Around Penang (With All Penang Transport Options)
Other Attractions Near Penang Butterfly Farm
Since you’re going to be checking out the Butterfly Farm, make your trip worthwhile by visiting another Penang attraction in the area!
1. ESCAPE Theme Park
Slide down the world’s longest water slide in ESCAPE Theme Park in Teluk Bahang, Penang! You will zigzag through the trees for a full 3 minutes!
The park has other gravity-play rides too like a ski lift, water slide, tubby racer and hill rider!
With such a wide range of fun activities, ESCAPE Theme Park is suitable for anyone seeking a thrill!
- Address: 828, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050, Penang Island
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 6pm (Closed on Monday)
- Contact: +604-881 1106
Read more: Penang Peranakan Mansion: Make A Trip To This Worthy Historical Museum
2. Penang National Park
Suited for nature lovers:
Visitors can also camp at the campsites in Penang National Park. Just be aware that it is a national park and there might be wildlife roaming around the camp area.
- Address: Pejabat Taman Negara P. Pinang, jalan Hassan Abbas, 11050 George Town, Penang
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 5pm
- Contact: +604-881 3530
Read more: Monkey Beach Penang: Visit This Slice Of Paradise In Penang
Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm isn’t just a butterfly and reptile lovers paradise, it’s also a living classroom for all walks of life.
This ever-evolving butterfly farm will have visitors returning for more. Be it for the informative exhibits, or the sheer variety of breathtaking species you can encounter here!