With a dome-shaped exterior, similar to Singapore’s Flower Dome. In it, are a variety of insects, reptiles and over 15,000 free-flying butterflies!
Whether it’s for education or leisure, Entopia Butterfly Farm in Penang is one of the places to visit in Penang! For all walks of life!
Table of Contents:
- History Of Penang Butterfly Farm
- Entopia Penang Location
- Opening Hours
- Entrance Fee
- Becoming Friends Of Entopia Members
- Entopia Penang Ticket Promotions
- Butterfly Park Facilities
- Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm Review
- How To Go To Penang Butterfly Farm
- Other Attractions Near Penang Butterfly Farm
History Of Penang Butterfly Farm
Entopia was founded in 1986 by David Goh from his passion for butterflies!
Today, the tropical butterfly farm serves as a tourist spot in Penang!
And as a home for many creatures besides butterflies!
The butterfly farm is currently managed by David Goh’s son, Joseph Goh – the CEO of Penang Butterfly Farm.
In recent years, the Penang Butterfly Farm had a major face lift too! As well as a complete re-branding into Entopia!
To date, millions of local and international visitors have visited Penang Butterfly Farm!
With awards like the Malaysian Tourism Gold Award and Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, Entopia is a leading Penang attraction!
Entopia Penang Location
Entopia Penang is in Teluk Bahang. A short drive away from Penang National Park and about 1.5 hours (by public transport) from George Town!
Entopia Butterfly Farm Opening Hours
Entopia Butterfly Farm is open daily from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (including weekends and public holidays)!
Ticket sales and entry will not be allowed after 5:00 pm.
Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm Entrance Fee
Get your MyKad ready, Malaysians!
|Adult (13 years old & above)||RM65||RM49|
|Child (4 to 12 years old)||RM45||RM29|
|Senior Citizen (60 years old & above)||RM45||RM29|
If you’re bringing your family, they do have family packages but these are only applicable for walk-in visitors!
|Family Package Deal||Standard||MyKad|
|2 Adults + 2 Children||RM202||RM144|
|2 Adults + 3 Children||RM238||RM167|
|2 Adults + 4 Children||RM274||RM190|
|2 Adults + 5 Children||RM310||RM213|
|2 Adults + 6 Children||RM346||RM236|
Have more than 20 people in your group? You may be eligible for a discount too! But remember to make a booking 2 weeks before you visit!
Contact Entopia’s Sales Department at [email protected] for any enquiries.
Becoming Friends Of Entopia Members
Want to visit multiple times? Consider joining Friends of Entopia!
|Membership Plans||Per Annum Fee|
|Individual Adult||RM 188.00|
|Individual Senior Citizen||RM 108.00|
|Family 2 Adults + 1 Child||RM 368.00|
|Family 2 Adults + 2 Children||RM 398.00|
|Family 2 Adults + 3 Children||RM 468.00|
Friends Of Entopia members can enjoy exclusive privileges! And impact the local community positively!
As members, you can enjoy:
- 25% discount when you buy entrance tickets for friends or family
- Other discounts (e.g. Nature Learning Programmes)
- 15% discount when you dine at Tapestree
- 15% discount when you shop at the Entopia Store (selected items only)
- Early invites to Entopia events and programmes
- Unlimited entry to Entopia for a whole year!
- Access to a members-only lounge (The Atlas) with free Wifi, coffee and tea.
- And more!
Entopia Penang Ticket Promotions
You can save up to 20% with some of the promotions that Entopia offers! Be sure to check their promotion page before you go!
Of course, Terms & Conditions do apply.
Their fixed promotions include:
1. Advance Online Purchase
- 10% off you book your tickets online 3 days before your visit
- Available for both Standard & MyKad Special
2. Penang Kia Day
- Walk-in Penang-Kia visitors can enjoy a 20% discount off entrance fees on Wednesdays!
- Don’t forget to bring proof of your Penang residential address!
- Only for MyKad Specials (with Penang state codes 07, 34 and 35)
3. Travel Privilege Card
- 20% discount for Travel Privilege Card holders!
- Up to 4 tickets per card
- Bring your Malaysia Travel Privilege Card and another ID
- Applicable for walk-in visitors only
4. Birthday Discount
- Buy 2 ADULT tickets and get 1 FREE!
- Valid 7 days even after your birth date!
- Only for walk-in visitors with MyKad
Butterfly Park Facilities
Look out for some of these facilities in the park!
- Free WiFi
- Nursing Rooms
- Helpdesks (EDU & FOE)
- Sick Bay
- The Atlas (members-only lounge)
- Tapestree Café
- Entopia Store
- The Sphere multifunction hall
1. Natureland – Outdoor Section
Natureland is the highlight of Penang Butterfly Farm:
With an outdoor living garden vivarium where you can see butterflies, reptiles and other artistic garden features! The entire Entopia pathway is 1.18km long!
Main attractions include:
- Aroma Trail
- Dragon Path
- Mystery Cave
- Tiger Falls
- Home Tree
- David’s Garden
- Wear bright colors to attract butterflies to you
- Remember to check the weather forecast before you buy your tickets
- Visitors can visit The Cocoon (indoor section) first if it rains
- Umbrellas are available upon request on rainy days
2. Cocoon – Indoor Section
A 2-storey indoor exhibition and activities with world-class facilities to self-explore the world of invertebrates!
Main attractions include:
- Lumino City
- Downtown Entopia
- Understory Tales
- Underground Mysteries
- Pandora Forest
- Breeding Ground
3. Tapestree Café
Stop by for a quick refuel at the Tapestree in-house café in Natureland (outdoor section)!
Dine with butterflies in a natural outdoor space or in the air-conditioned indoors! The café can accommodate up to 40 people at a time!
Western and Asian fusion dishes are served in the café! And their food menu changes once in a while too!
They also have a barista to satisfy your coffee cravings!
Tapestree Café is open from 10am to 5pm.
Read more: 17 Best Cafe In Penang With Great Coffee (Includes New Cafes)
Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm Review
What you’ll like:
- The reptiles are just as interesting as the butterflies
- Improved facilities since the renovation
- Knowledgeable staff are helpful in providing explanations
- Certain sessions allow visitors to hold the scorpions, iguanas, and more
- 4pm butterfly release session allows you to release butterflies that have just evolved from pupa.
- Kids love it here!
Good to know:
- Cooler in the mornings and evenings but butterflies are more active during sunny days!
- Dress light as it can get warm in the butterfly park
- Watch where you step as butterflies may land on the ground
- Expect to spend a minimum of 2 hours in the park
- Getting a taxi back may take time
How To Go To Penang Butterfly Farm
1. By Tour:
Choose a private tour service like RayTheTour to take you to Penang Butterfly Farm and other Penang attractions!
Reasons to book with us:
- MPV or Van transport (petrol and parking fees covered)
- English-speaking or Chinese-speaking guides
- Local guides who know their stuff!
- A super-customize-able Penang trip itinerary (morning to evening) – just let us know where you want to go!
- Pick up anywhere in Penang (and drop off too) on the day of your tour
- It’s easy to book (contact us on WhatsApp or Facebook!)
- We do tours in Ipoh, Cameron Highlands and Taiping too
- How To Get From Penang Airport To Georgetown (4 Easy Ways)
- How To Get To Penang Island From Kuala Lumpur (KL)
2. By Rapid Penang Bus:
Take bus 101 or 102 from Georgetown. Get off at Escape Theme Park next door.
|101||Jetty (Weld Quay)||~1 hour 10 minutes||10 minutes||RM4|
|102||Penang Airport||~1 hour 45 minutes||60 minutes||RM5|
|501||Balik Pulau||~1 hour 15 minutes||120 minutes||RM2|
3. By Grab/Taxi:
Use the Grab app to arrange for a driver to pick you up. Either that or you can take a taxi there!
If you’re driving,
- It’s a 30-minute drive away from Georgetown
- From George Town, use the coastal route to Teluk Bahang roundabout where you should exit at 9 o’clock.
- Continue straight for another 1.5km to Entopia
There is ample parking space for free!
Or park opposite Entopia at Perbadanan Bekalan Air (PBA)
Read more: 4 Best Ways For Getting Around Penang (With All Penang Transport Options)
Other Attractions Near Penang Butterfly Farm
Since you’re going to be checking out the Butterfly Farm, make your trip worthwhile by visiting another Penang attraction!
1. ESCAPE Theme Park
Slide down the world’s longest water slide in ESCAPE Theme Park in Teluk Bahang, Penang! You will zigzag through the trees for a full 3 minutes!
The park has other gravity-play rides too like a ski lift, water slide, tubby racer and hill rider!
With such a wide range of fun activities, ESCAPE Theme Park is suitable for anyone seeking a thrill!
Read more: Penang Peranakan Mansion: Make A Trip To This Worthy Historical Museum
2. Penang National Park
A nature-lover’s paradise!
Go jungle trekking over the hills, walk along the beach, do some bird watching or visit the Turtle Conservation Centre in Penang National Park!
If you are lucky, you can see wildlife too! Visitors can also camp at the campsites in Penang National Park!
Read more: Monkey Beach Penang: Visit This Slice Of Paradise In Penang
Entopia Penang Butterfly Farm is not only a butterfly and reptile-lovers’ paradise, it is also a living classroom for all walks of life!
This ever-changing butterfly farm will have visitors returning for more!
Visitors will leave knowing more about invertebrates and reptiles! And possibly a camera with no more memory space!