Agro Technology Park MARDI Cameron Highlands is not a typical farm or garden in Cameron Highlands!
Just 1km from Tanah Rata town, the huge agro technology park serves as both a research and information center that welcomes visitors to explore the various zones (including an English garden) in the park.
Want to know more about this interesting place in Cameron Highlands? Keep on reading!
Table of contents:
- What To Expect
- Entrance Fee
- What To Do & Facilities
- Attractions Nearby
- Getting There From Ipoh
History Of Agro Technology Park MARDI
Agro Technology Park MARDI was originally a research station for the British back in 1926 under the name, Federal Experimental Station. They first started growing tea right here!
When it was passed on to the Malaysian Research and Development Institute (MARDI), an agro technology park was introduced within the property and it was open to the public in June, 2003.
Today, the park sees thousands of visitors every year!
What To Expect At Agro Technology Park MARDI
All sorts of plants are grown in the park including:
- 40 species of roses
- 10 types of strawberries
- 100 different citrus fruit
- 6 species of anthuriums
- Apples, pears and even persimmon!
To make the park easier for visitors to explore, the park is divided into several zones:
- Research Centre
- English Garden
- Information Centre
- Orchid Garden
- Rose Garden
- Herb Garden
There’s much more listed on their signboards throughout the park!
Agro Technology Park MARDI Location
Agro Technology Park Mardi lies on the east side of Tanah Rata, past the schools and before the hospital.
Getting to the park involves use of a slip road behind the Tanah Rata bus station. You just follow the road until you reach a signboard for MARDI on your left.
Read more: Cameron Highlands Night Market: Brinchang Night Market One-stop Guide
Agro Technology Park MARDI Entrance Fee
You don’t really have an excuse not to bring your family here as far as costs are concerned! The entrance fees are pretty low!
- RM6.5 (Adult)
- RM3 (Child)
- RM3 (Student)
- RM2 (Seniors above 60 years old)
- RM10 (international visitor)
Read more: Kea Farm Market At Cameron Highlands: All Covered Including Food & What To Buy
What To Do At Agro Technology Park MARDI & Facilities
So what is there to do at Agro Technology Park MARDI?
1. See Exhibits On The Latest Technologies By MARDI At The Information Centre
There are publications available for sale too. Anyways, all visitors have to come by this building to purchase tickets to enter the park!
2. Visit Their Flower Gardens
MARDI Agro Technology Park has more than one garden up its sleeve!
- English Garden
- Pitcher Plant Garden
- Herb Garden
- Rose Garden
- Orchid Garden
Local and exotic flowers and plants thrive in the well-maintained gardens!
There are places to sit and just take in all the sights if you need a break from the walking!
3. Have A Cup Of Locally Produced Tea At The Cafeteria
If you need a break from all the walking, there are refreshing beverages and snacks for sale at the park!
You can get tea, juice and a range of snacks. Try the strawberry juice and tea!
Read more: 11 Best Strawberry Farm In Cameron Highlands
4. Buy MARDI And Other Local Products From Their Sales Centre And Nursery
The sales center and nursery on the property sell:
- Potted plants
- Vegetables and other local produce
- Freshly-cut flowers
- Dried fruit
- Cameron Highlands souvenirs
Browse and admire rows upon rows of attractive colorful flowers And other plants like cacti and succulents.
Some of which are up for sale!
5. Host An Event At Their Meeting Facility
There is an on-site theater that can fit up to 100 people.
It can be rented out for seminars or workshops with approval from the management of the park.
6. See How They Grow Fruit And Vegetables
Do not waste the opportunity to see so many fruit and vegetables growing all in one place!
And more including a seedling nursery and a compost area!
They have a section for organic vegetables too!
7. Take On A Jungle Trail
2 jungle trails run through the park, Trail #3 and Trail #7. These both lead to the foot of Gunung Berembun nearby.
Details are covered further down this post.
Read more: Time Tunnel Museum In Cameron Highlands: Nostalgic Place To Check Out!
8. Admire The Tea Plantation
Unless you climb the stairs up to the Viewing Platform (Wakaf Tinjau):
The small tea plantation does not need much climbing to get closer to the tea bushes! Compared to the bigger tea plantations in Cameron Highlands!
9. Pet Rabbits
It costs ~RM2 to enter the rabbit enclosure and pet the rabbits.
10. Make A Stop At The Butterfly Garden
Although tiny, the butterfly enclosure at MARDI is stunning! One of the newest additions is a manuka honey flower bush so be sure to check that out!
There is even a display of the various stages a caterpillar goes through to change to a butterfly!
Agro Technology Park MARDI Review
This review section will assist you on whether you should include the agro technology park into your Cameron Highlands trip!
What You’ll Like:
- Abundant photo opportunities
- Excellent British cream tea set at their garden cafe
- Satisfying variety of plants and flowers
- You can buy potted plants for good prices
- Many vegetables and fruit trees to see – they even have grapes!
- Botanical garden and herb gardens are well-maintained
- Strawberry ice cream is one of the best at RM4 each
- You can try locally produced tea here
- Ample parking slots
What You Won’t Like:
- More expensive for international visitors
- Lab experiment section is not particularly attractive or interesting
- Rabbit paddock and butterfly enclosure are in poor condition
- No guided tours available
- Mismatched and faded signage
- Lack of information displays
Good To Know:
- Usually full of people on weekends and public holidays
- Dried fruit products are available for sale
- Takes around an hour (or more) to explore
- Hill to climb behind the garden
- Possible to walk here from Tanah Rata
Accommodation At Agro Technology Park MARDI
Accommodation is limited to two types:
- English cottage (2 units, one with 2 bedrooms and the other with 3 bedrooms)
- Apartments (6 units with 3 rooms each)
Attractions Near To Agro Technology Park MARDI
Those who feel up to a short hike may want to consider these trails close to the agro technology park!
Do not hike alone! There are accounts of people getting robbed while hiking!
1. Robinson Falls (Trail #9)
While the waterfall isn’t spectacular, it is still nice. There is unfortunately, a lot of trash around the area.
- Head in the direction of Cameron Highlands Hospital. 500m before the hospital, is a road on the right with a big billboard and a small sign for the Robinson Waterfall.
- Walk this road for 100m to another billboard and a concrete bridge made with colorful tires.
- Follow the bridge all the way to the waterfall
- If you continue the walk past the waterfall, you will end up at the power station (Trail 9b – steep walk uphill)
Difficulty: Easy to moderate for the most part except the first 5 minutes, where the ground is slippery pavement!
Duration: <1 hour (round trip) – More if you do Trail 9b!
- 4 Best Rose Gardens In Cameron Highlands That Flower Lovers Must Not Miss Out On!
- 3 Best Honey Bee Farm In Cameron Highlands
- Butterfly Farm Cameron Highlands: Everything About This Farm + Review
2. Parit Falls (Trail #4)
This is by far the easiest trail to accomplish in Cameron Highlands!
Many visitors take the relatively flat and short trail in a recreational park that passes by Parit Falls – which also goes by the name, Thompson Falls.
Parit Falls are smaller than the Robinson Falls. More like a mini waterfall or cascades but still scenic. If not for the litter that plagues the trail!
Starting Point: Tanah Rata after the bus station, right side of the park
Duration: ~20 minutes (round trip)
3. Cameron Highlands Trails #3, 5 & 7
These small jungle trails all connect to one another eventually so you can combine a few into a moderate hike.
You won’t see any landmarks but there is plenty of greenery (i.e. jungle flora).
These are the suggested combinations:
- Trail #7 > Trail #5
- Trail #5 > Trail #3
- Trail #3 > Trail #7
Trail #3 takes you up Gunung Berembun.
Starting Point: Use Maps.Me app to find the starting points for the respective trails!
Duration: 2 hours or more for at least two trails. 3-4 hours for Trail #3 to Trail #7.
Difficulty: Easy-moderate but gets steep at the ending for Trail #3; Best done on a clear day when the ground isn’t muddy.
Read more: 15 Best Hotels In Cameron Highlands
Getting To Agro Technology Park MARDI From Ipoh
Agro Technology Park MARDI can be part of your custom-made Cameron Highlands itinerary for a private tour from Ipoh with RayTheTour!
- ~10% discount if you book multi-day tours in Ipoh and other neighboring districts like Sitiawan, Taiping, Gopeng, Kuala Kangsar, etc
- Local experienced guides
- Comfortable transport
- Flexible itinerary
- Pick up service anywhere in Ipoh
- Drop off service is free (on the same day of your tour)
- How To Go To Cameron Highlands From Ipoh
- How To Go To Cameron Highlands From Kuala Lumpur
- How To Go To Cameron Highlands From Singapore
Agro Technology Park MARDI resembles a mini Cameron Highlands with a nursery, tea plantation and factory, multiple gardens, a small petting zoo and an information center.
Some parts look a little rundown but it’s still worth stopping for if you happen to be passing by the area, especially if you love seeing many different plants!