If you have your own car, you can very well drive up but if you don’t, there is always the local bus or renting a car at Ipoh. Or going with a tour package!
Read on to find out more!
It is easier than it looks:
- Self-Drive To Cameron Highlands
- Private Car To Cameron Highlands
- Public Bus To Cameron Highlands
- Ipoh Airport To Cameron Highlands
- How To Go From Cameron Highlands To Ipoh
- Travel Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Self-Drive From Ipoh To Cameron Highlands
Ipoh To Cameron Highlands Distance & Route
There are 2 driving routes to Cameron Highlands from Ipoh.
And of the 2 routes, the newer route (via Simpang Pulai) is less windy and slightly shorter.
But you do get to stop by a local hotspot, the beautiful Lata Iskandar waterfall on your way up if you take the old Kampar road (Route 2).
Route 1: Via Simpang Pulai
Ipoh > Kampung Raja > Brinchang > Tanah Rata > Ringlet
Driving duration: About 2 hours
Read more: Ipoh Itinerary – Day Trip, 2D1N or 3D2N
Route 2: Via North-South Express Toll Road and Tapah, Perak
Ipoh > Kampar > Tapah > Ringlet > Tanah Rata > Brinchang
Driving duration: About 2 hours 40 minutes
Read more: 29 Must-See Cameron Highlands Attractions (New Guide)
2. Private Car To Cameron Highlands From Ipoh
If you haven’t got a car, you can always book a private car together with guided tour!
And why not, right?
The driver acts as a guide too and can take you to all the spots you want to go and more!
Get a quote from us now!
PS: If you just need a ride and not a guided tour, then you can message us too!
2.1. Cameron Highlands Tour Package From Ipoh
Our typical tour itinerary begins with a pick-up (anywhere in Ipoh) at 8.30am. It’s usually a 2-hour trip one way using the new road and with light traffic.
The tour covers popular attractions like the BOH tea plantation estate as well as the Lavender Garden and a strawberry garden!
And if you want to customize your tour to begin later so you can visit somewhere else in Ipoh first, then that’s not a problem either!
Free returns back to Ipoh are included in the package on the same date as the tour.
2.2. Advantages Of Taking A Private Car + Tour To Cameron Highlands
- You don’t have to worry about driving or parking in an unfamiliar place!
- Affordable rates
- Trip is planned for you
- Flexible tour itinerary – You can customize your own Cameron Highlands itinerary if you prefer to
- Comfortable car
- Pick up and drop off service within Ipoh
- No need to share the ride with other strangers
- Cheaper rates for large groups
- Return trip included
- You can make a new friend from Ipoh~
2.3. Disadvantages Of Taking A Private Car + Tour To Cameron Highlands
- Expensive for solo traveler
Read more: 17 Best Hotels In Cameron Highlands
3. Public Bus From Ipoh To Cameron Highlands
At RM20 per person, taking the public bus is the cheapest way to get to Cameron Highlands if you don’t have your own car!
However, taking the bus is at your own risk:
As the roads are narrow and windy! This is especially treacherous during the wet season.
Duration: Roughly 2.5 hours via Simpang Pulai from AmanJaya Bus Terminal (Ipoh) to Tanah Rata bus terminal (Cameron Highlands)
Daily bus departures from Ipoh to Cameron Highlands start as early as 8:00am with the last departure at 6:30pm.
Pick up point: AmanJaya Bus Terminal
Drop off point: Tanah Rata Bus Terminal
You should note that:
The AmanJaya Bus Terminal isn’t walking distance to the Ipoh town (or the Ipoh Railway Station) or the Ipoh airport (Sultan Azlan Shah Airport)!
Distance from Ipoh town: 18 minutes’ drive
Distance from Ipoh airport: 21 minutes’ drive
3.1. How To Get From Ipoh City Centre To AmanJaya Bus Terminal
You can take a Grab, taxi or the city buses to travel from Ipoh centre to AmanJaya Bus Terminal and vice versa.
How about the train?
3.1.1. Ipoh KTM Train Station To AmanJaya Bus Terminal
From Ipoh Railway Station, walk for 500 meters (8 minutes’ walk) to Medan Kidd Bus Station to catch a bus (RM2) straight to AmanJaya Bus Terminal!
3.2. How To Get From Sultan Azlan Shah Airport To AmanJaya Bus Terminal
Consider the following options to get to AmanJaya Bus Terminal from the Ipoh airport:
- Public Bus (myBAS Ipoh) – Take the Route T37 bus to Medan Kidd first. Transfer to either the Route T30a or T30b bus to get to AmanJaya Bus Terminal.
Because taking there is no direct bus:
You may find a taxi or Grab more convenient to get from the Ipoh airport to AmanJaya Bus Terminal!
T37: 5:40am – 7:00pm
T30a: 6:00am – 9:00pm
T30b: 6:30am – 9:30pm
Click here for more info about the bus route.
3.3. AmanJaya Bus Operators
There are 5 bus operators that offer transfer services between Ipoh and Cameron Highlands:
- GT Bhai Express
- Unititi Express
- AHMUDI Express
- Perak Transit
- CS Travel
3.4. Advantages Of Taking A Bus To Cameron Highlands
- Cheap (if your group has less than 4 people)
- Saves you the trouble of driving
- Daily buses are available
3.5. Disadvantage Of Taking A Bus To Cameron Highlands
- Only one drop-off point (Tanah Rata bus terminal)
- Kind of dangerous!
- Will bypass Lata Iskandar Waterfall
Hitchhiking is not a common practice in Malaysia!
4. How To Get From Ipoh Airport To Cameron Highlands
There is no flight or train to Cameron Highlands from Ipoh.
But you can take a flight to Ipoh’s only airport, Sultan Azlan Shah Airport followed by the following modes of transport:
- Bus (not direct)
- Taxi/ Grab
- Private tour service
Don’t need a tour but want comfortable transport?
Please fill in our booking form to apply for a booking.
If you do not receive an email notification (to confirm your booking) by 6pm of the next working day, you may assume that there are no slots available!
- Pick up from Ipoh Airport to Cameron Highlands
- Driver will drop off passengers to their respective hotels
- Route depends on the needs of all passengers that day
- Advanced booking is required
- Customers who receive the booking confirmation (via email) must transfer 20% deposit to the provided bank account within 48 hours to confirm their booking
- The balance payment is in cash to the driver on the day of the pick-up
- Each customer may only bring one day bag and one cabin-sized luggage
- Large bags will have an additional fee of SGD $30 each
- Child seats do not cost extra but are subject to availability
5. How To Go From Cameron Highlands To Ipoh
What about the journey back, you say?
If you’re relying on public transport, bus is the cheapest way to go.
There are regular buses from Cameron Highlands to Ipoh.
Read more: Cameron Highland Night Market: Brinchang Market One-stop Guide
5.1. Cameron Highlands To Ipoh Distance
It takes around 2 hours up a winding road to back to Ipoh from Cameron Highlands!
5.2. Cameron Highlands To Ipoh By Bus
5.2.1. Bus Operators From Cameron Highlands To Ipoh
There are a total of 3 bus operators that provide the route from Cameron Highlands to Ipoh.
Departure point: Cameron Highlands Bus Terminal (Tanah Rata Freesia Bus Station)
Arrival point: Ipoh AmanJaya Bus Terminal
Price range: About Rm20
|Bus Operators||Pick Up Point||Drop Off Point|
|Perak Transit||Tanah Rata Freesia Bus Station||Ipoh Amanjaya|
|Nova Highlands Resort & Residence
|CS Travel||Tanah Rata Freesia Bus Station (Counter CS Travel)||Ipoh Amanjaya|
|Unititi Express||Tanah Rata Freesia Bus Station (Counter 1 and 6)||Ipoh Amanjaya|
It should be noted that some bus operators do offer additional departure points as well.
Check with your respective bus operator for more details.
Read more: 11 Best Strawberry Farm In Cameron Highlands
5.2.2. Bus Schedule From Cameron Highlands To Ipoh
Out of all the available bus operators from Cameron Highlands to Ipoh, Perak transit has the most departure times.
Up to 7 departures daily.
See their bus schedule here:
5.2.3. Aman Jaya Bus Terminal To Ipoh Town
It happens that Ipoh Aman Jaya bus terminal is not at the city center.
So if you wish to get to the city center (Ipoh town):
You can hop on the public city bus from Ipoh AmanJaya Bus Terminal to Ipoh town.
Price range: RM2
Read more: Butterfly Farm Cameron Highlands: Everything About This Farm + Review
5.3. Cameron Highlands To Ipoh Airport
In case you’re wondering:
There is unfortunately no direct bus from Cameron Highlands to Ipoh airport.
Buses will stop at Ipoh AmanJaya Bus Terminal instead.
From there, you have to take the public city bus to Ipoh airport.
6. Travel Tips
- Public buses between towns in Cameron Highlands is not reliable. Local taxis can be pricey.
- It’s best to have your own transport / private car with tour as this is more convenient when travelling around Cameron Highlands.
- Bring motion sickness pills for the windy drive.
- Most of the Cameron Highlands attractions are not walking distance away from each other
- Ipoh town to AmanJaya Bus Terminal is around a 25 minutes’ drive.
- Allow more time for potential delays if you’re taking public transport from Ipoh town to AmanJaya Bus Terminal. It is recommended to take a taxi or Grab instead.
- There is no express bus from Ipoh airport to Cameron Highlands.
Q1: How long does it take to drive from Ipoh to Cameron Highlands?
A1: The road distance between Ipoh and Cameron Highlands is 91.4 km which is about 2 hours’ drive.
Q2: What are the main attractions at Cameron Highlands?
A2: Cool climate, tea plantations, strawberry farms and jungle trails.
Q3: Is it dangerous to get to Cameron Highlands?
A3: The old road (via Tapah) frequently has landslides during the rainy season. Larger vehicles use this road and you have to be alert to look out for oncoming traffic at sharp bends.
Q4: When is it the best time to visit Cameron Highlands?
A4: To avoid the holiday crowds and traffic, come during the off peak season.
Q5: What should I pack for Cameron Highlands?
A5: Bring at least one pair of long pants, socks and a light jacket or sweater. Comfortable shoes or trekking shoes if you intend to go for the jungle hikes. A rain parka will be useful during the rainy season.
Read more: Best Time To Visit Cameron Highlands: Best Month & When Not To Go
Getting to Cameron Highlands from Ipoh is a straightforward process!
Drive up or take a bus. You can check out all the available options right here in this post.
What is holding you back from visiting Cameron Highlands? Leave a comment below!