The Time Tunnel Museum is under the radar for many visitors who go up to Cameron Highlands! Even though it’s been around for more than a decade!
Because naturally, the highlight of Cameron Highlands is the greenery outside! That means farms, tea plantations and gardens! Why would you stay indoors unless it’s raining?
But what exactly are you missing out if you skip this gallery? Is it even worth going to? We will cover all the necessities below in this post!
Table of contents:
- History Of The Time Tunnel Museum
- Time Tunnel Museum Location & Entrance Fee
- Time Tunnel Museum Review
- Attractions Near To Time Tunnel Museum
- Getting To Time Tunnel Museum From Ipoh
History Of The Time Tunnel Museum
Started in February, 2007 by passionate antique collector, See Kok Shan:
The Time Tunnel Museum was one of the first museums in Malaysia to have the memorabilia concept that can now be found in other states like Malacca, Penang and Ipoh!
See himself grew up in Cameron Highlands and there’s a great deal of old photographs that show how Cameron Highlands has changed throughout the years!
Time Tunnel Museum was the result of a partnership between Kok Lim Strawberry Farm and See so that he could share his private collection of old treasures with the world!
What Is On Display Here?
History and nostalgia is the main theme at Time Tunnel Musuem as you will surely notice from their exhibits!
The extensive collection is spread over 2 floors of the building and consists of the following curiosities:
- Old photographs of orang asli – indigenous Malay tribes that were living in Cameron Highlands long before the British came to Melaya
- Set ups of typical daily scenes back in the old days
- All sorts of old advertising posters, brands and logos
- What Cameron Highlands was like before the Habu Dam was built
- A historical timeline of Cameron Highlands from when it was first discovered by William Cameron in 1885. And how it gradually became a hill resort during the 1920s.
- Evidence of the Emergency Period.
- Articles on Jim Thompson’s mysterious disappearance in Cameron Highlands back in 1967
Read more: Cameron Highlands Night Market: Brinchang Night Market One-stop Guide
Time Tunnel Museum Location
If you don’t drive too fast, you’ll probably spot the museum as it’s on the same side of the road as Kok Lim Strawberry Farm when you drive out from Tanah Rata to go to Brinchang!
The museum is housed in a warehouse next to the strawberry farm.
Parking is by the road in front of the museum. Slots are limited.
Time Tunnel Museum Entrance Fee
It doesn’t cost much to enter the museum so you can bring your whole family! There is no time limit!
Read more: Kea Farm Market At Cameron Highlands: All Covered Including Food & What To Buy
Time Tunnel Museum Review
For the price, it’s worth having a look!
However, if you don’t have much time up in Cameron Highlands, you might want to read this section carefully!
What You’ll Like:
- The older generation have an opportunity to relive their childhood to their children and grandchildren – Family bonding experience!
- Younger generations get to appreciate what everyday life was like in the past, without the modern conveniences of today!
- It’s interesting to see how well-known household brands evolved throughout the years!
- Attention to details is apparent in the setups and displays
- Learn about the journey to Malaysia’s independence besides the history of Cameron Highlands
- Strawberry juice at the farm next door is half priced after your visit
What You Won’t Like:
- Does not include any photos or documents from WWII
Good To Know:
- Takes 30 minutes to 1 hour (or even up to 2 hours) to explore and take photos!
Attractions Near To Time Tunnel Museum
Since you’re in the area, you might as well check out these attractions too!
All of which are just a short drive away!
1. Kok Lim Strawberry Farm (Next Door)
If you haven’t had a chance to pick strawberries at a strawberry farm in Cameron Highlands yet, here’s an opportunity!
It’s not as frequented as the other strawberry farms so you might be able to find some nice strawberries here!
You can acquire a strawberry 3-in-1 coffee and tea bags from their gift shop.
Rates for picking their strawberries: Every 500g costs RM30
2. Cactus Point (2 Minutes’ Drive)
This is the place to go if you want to see lots of cacti! It’s free to enter and some of the cacti here are older than 20 years!
There are cacti, succulents, gardening supplies and many types of other plants for sale!
- 4 Best Rose Gardens In Cameron Highlands That Flower Lovers Must Not Miss Out On!
- 3 Best Honey Bee Farm In Cameron Highlands
- Butterfly Farm Cameron Highlands: Everything About This Farm + Review
3. Gunung Brinchang Jungle Walk No. 1 (3 Minutes’ Drive)
There are guided tours for this trail that take you up to the Mossy Forest but you can also do it on your own if you have sufficient experience hiking in a Malaysian jungle before!
You just need to use an offline map from the app, Maps.Me to locate the entrance and start your hike!
This is an undulating jungle trail with no proper broad walks or paths. You will have to use your hands and feet at times to drag yourself up!
It rains often and the ground is often wet and slippery. There are ropes at the most difficult spots. Use the main road for the return trip!
4. Farmers Arcade Cameron Highlands (1 Minute Drive)
Gardening enthusiasts must stop here as the flowers and plants are sold at really good rates! There is a lot of variety to choose from!
The garden and displays are lovely too and they have a small café where you can get some coffee and treats!
Read more: 29 Must-See Cameron Highlands Attractions
Getting To Time Tunnel Museum From Ipoh
- Comfortable transport from Ipoh to Cameron Highlands
- Cameron Highlands private tour from Ipoh by an experienced local guide
- Pick-up from anywhere in Ipoh (drop-off too if it’s the same day!)
- Drop-off at your hotel in Cameron Highlands on the same day
See TripAdvisor reviews for our tour!
Time Tunnel Museum in Brinchang, Cameron Highlands is worth a visit if you have at least an hour to spare in your Cameron Highlands Trip!
Learn how Cameron Highlands got to the way it is today! And more!
The museum houses numerous memorabilia from the 50s to 80s that will surely send older Malaysians for a sentimental trip down memory lane!