This place is gaining more popularity among the locals. Although it has yet to reach the international fame of the Bolivia’s Uyuni Salt Flats!
By the way, Sky Mirror Sasaran Beach is another name for this place.
Topics in this post:
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Tour Activities
- Blue Tears and Sky Mirror Kuala Selangor
- Review of Sky Mirror Kuala Selangor tour
- Sky Mirror Tour Package (And Cost)
- What To Bring
- Hotels Close To The Sky Mirror
- Homestays Near To Sky Mirror
What Is So Special About The Sky Mirror Of Kuala Selangor?
Firstly, you can only see the “Sky Mirror” during certain hours (typically during low tide). The exposed sand bank in the middle of the sea creates an unusual backdrop for photos.
And at low tide, the water is almost still too. So it reflects the sky pretty much perfectly! Especially during a sunny day when the sky is a bright blue!
Best Time To Visit Sky Mirror Malaysia
The tours to visit the Sky Mirror Kuala Selangor only run a few times a month, depending on the tide.
To be exact, the 1st and 15th of lunar month. And 4 days before and after these dates (new moon and full moon periods).
During those days, the tours will have a few slots spread throughout the day.
Photography Tips (Cloudy Vs Blue Skies)
If your goal is to get blue skies in your photographs:
Then you should check the weather ahead of your trip too.
What if it’s cloudy?
You will get a minimal effect (like the picture below) with less harsh shadows!
And on the plus side, it won’t be as hot as going in the afternoon. We got the early morning slot so it was not hot at all.
A cloudy day creates a different feel too:
What else can you do besides getting photos for the gram?
Popular Tour Activities
In general, most of the tour operators usually provide a combination or all of these same activities.
Listed in no particular order here:
- Eagle feeding/bird watching during the day
- A boat tour to see fireflies in mangroves at night
- Boat tour to see the blue tears (glowing plankton) at night
- Clam catching
- And of course, a boat tour to visit the Sky Mirror during the day
Why not see the blue tears too?
Blue Tears and Sky Mirror Kuala Selangor
There used to be an overnight (or full day) tour. Where you could stay over at one the Pulau Sembilan islands to see the blue tears (glowing plankton) wash ashore at night.
You can read about our overnight experience to see blue tears in Pulau Sembilan from this post:
In the meantime:
Tour operators try to offer both the blue tears and sky mirror to their customers:
For example, a visit to the sky mirror in the first half of the day. Followed by another trip to see the blue tears at night.
Both activities will require a boat ride to the sea.
For the blue tears, the tour guide will use a net to scoop some up for visitors to have a look.
Not quite as impressive (depending on the season and weather), but take what you can get.
Now back to the Sky Mirror, here’s what a typical day tour itinerary is like:
Review of Sky Mirror Kuala Selangor tour
1. Typical prices (cost)
This was the tour company we chose: skymirrortour.
We just went for the Sky Mirror as we have already seen both the fireflies and blue tears before.
Booking our spot on the Sky Mirror Tour a month ahead at RM80 per person.
You will get around 2 hours max to enjoy the Sky Mirror due to the tide coming in.
3. Tour Itinerary
For the morning slots:
Start this day early at 6.30am to meet the rest of the group at the nearby kopitiam.
You can walk or drive to the jetty from Sasaran town (Less than a minute’s drive away).
At the jetty
Board a boat and head for the sea. It is a 30-40 minute journey before you reach the salt flat.
The boat will pass mangroves along the way.
At the Sky Mirror
There may be many brightly-clad tourists already there with other tour operators. To pick out the perfect photo spot. This isn’t too big an issue as the area is quite large anyways.
A couple of professional photographers are with the tour service so look out for them if you need some assistance.
There should be some props you can use too.
It’s not just sand and seawater:
If you’re scared of bugs, it might alarm you that there are little hermit crabs in the sand.
There are some really interesting looking crabs (see pictures below). Be careful not to step on the bigger shells.
End of the Sky Mirror tour:
Get back on the boat and reached the jetty with enough time to pack and check out of your accommodation.
Overall, we personally had a pleasant experience with Sky Mirror Tour. With no delays or complications.
Communication with the tour service was done through WhatsApp (in Mandarin). With fast response times.
Here are some of the popular tour operators:
Sky Mirror Tour Package (And Cost)
Mind that tour slots are limited and are held only a few times per month.
Book early to avoid disappointment. More so when a long public holiday is approaching.
Let’s start with the first Sky Mirror Kuala Selangor package:
1. Sky Mirror Tour & Travel Sdn Bhd
2. Sky Mirror Bagan Datuk Perak / 9 Island Agency Sdn Bhd (环岛旅游有限公司)
3. D Tours Kuala Selangor Sky Mirror & Eagle Feeding Tour
4. Wave Rest House & Cafe (海。浪滔滔 民宿)
A combination of accommodation and tour package, this one is run by a family. They have a Facebook page (link here).
The main host, Steve pretty much does everything. Acting as tour guide, driver, photographer, etc.
Their 2-day itinerary includes a visit to the swamp to see wildlife (mostly birds).
There’s also an opportunity to rent one of their bicycles to go to the beach. Plenty of shells and mud skippers there!
After dinner, there’s some craft time. That may be stringing shells together.
The next day, they will take you to the Sky Mirror after breakfast. The very last activity of the day is oyster harvesting.
What Is The Accommodation Like?
As for the accommodation:
They have some container-style rooms. These are clean and simple with air conditioning. The meals they provide are also simple but adequate.
Wave Rest House & Cafe Packages
Sky Mirror Tour With Wave Rest House & Cafe
It is an extra charge of RM85 per person if you want to go to the Sky Mirror (boat trip to Pulau Angsa) during the 2-day stay.
There needs to be a minimum of 7 visitors before this tour can run. Please allocate 5-6 hours for this. Insurance is included.
What to bring:
- Please prepare your own toiletries, sunblock and insect repellent.
- You will need a pair of socks to go with rain boots during the mangrove forest exploration.
- Wave Rest House & Café also provide variety beers and drinks (not included in the package prices)
For more details, you can contact them on Facebook (link here).
Your itinerary may vary slightly depending on the weather and tides. They will send you the actual itinerary once the date of your visit is confirmed.
Need a more complete packing list?
What To Bring
- Colorful clothes are definitely a good idea.
- You’ll need a hat, slippers and plenty of sunscreen too. Sunglasses are up to you.
- Bring figurines or toys of your favorite characters, colorful umbrellas, scarves, etc. We even saw someone with a kite too!
- A jacket or scarf if you are afraid of getting cold (during the boat ride).
- They provide water in plastic bottles (eek!). Take your own bottle and refill it at your accommodation or breakfast spot before the trip. To avoid unnecessary plastic waste.
- Something to take photos with! Although the tour service may have photographers at hand, bigger groups are quick to book them. Doesn’t hurt to bring a selfie stick or tripod either.
- Unless you don’t mind leaving your things on the boat (at your own risk), bring a waterproof bag that you can put on the ground close to you. There is nowhere dry at the salt lakes.
Need somewhere to stay?
Hotels Close To The Sky Mirror
1. VI Boutique Hotel
- This boutique hotel is close to many seafood restaurants.
- The rooms are basic and clean with comfortable beds.
- Note that WiFi is only available at the lobby area.
- There is even a swimming pool. Lots of parking spaces available.
- Walking distance to the jetty.
- It can be noisy at night (some rooms face the road) on public holidays and weekends.
- Don’t expect a hairdryer in your room.
2. De Palma Eco Resort Kuala Selangor
- You can book their villas for just RM140!
- This hotel also has a fairly large pool and free parking.
- Breakfast and WiFi is free of charge.
- You can even get room service.
- Some of their rooms have a kitchen.
- Walls are thin for the regular rooms so you might hear your neighbors.
- The rooms are big but have satisfactory cleanliness.
- Okay for one night’s stay.
3. Grand Kapar Hotel Kuala Selangor
- This is a good budget hotel for families.
- Rooms are spacious and clean enough (sometimes not).
- An electric kettle is provided.
- Check in is after 2pm.
- Walls are not that soundproof.
- There are local eats nearby.
- Wifi is not remarkable.
Homestays Near To Sky Mirror
All of the hotels or homestays in this list are close to the meeting point for these two tour operators:
- Sky Mirror Tour & Travel Sdn Bhd
- D Tours Kuala Selangor Sky Mirror & Eagle Feeding Tour
1. The Lucky Star Homestay
- There’s ample beds (5 beds) and baths (2 baths) in this apartment. Perfect for a large group or a family.
- Although there is no WiFi provided, there are a lot of amenities. For example, towels, bedsheets, soap, hairdryer, free parking, a TV, etc.
- Guests are free to use the kitchen and fridge too. The exterior is rather old but the inside is new.
- As for the furnishing of the apartment, it is minimal. But clean and cozy.
- The host speaks English, Mandarin and Bahasa Melayu. And ready to help if you need bookings or recommendations on what to eat around Kuala Selangor.
- No worries about the check in or check out process either.
2. Homestay KS Botanic
- You can rent out this whole spacious 2-bedroom house (that can fit up to 8 people) for your travel group at RM 400 for a night
- Breakfast and WiFi are included as well as free parking
- There is a tea or coffee maker in all the rooms too
- Guests are also welcome to use the kitchen
- Other things that are also included are board games and toiletries
- The host is friendly and helpful
Visiting the Sky Mirror in 2021 is great fun for anyone who likes to have photos taken with their loved ones. If not that, then it’s something you don’t see everyday.
With all the tours and accommodations available, it’s all too easy. What are you waiting for? =)
Book the tour now with KLOOK!
Apply code KLOOKIA to enjoy an extra US$2 OFF on your first booking! *Only for NEW USER*
What are you most excited to see in Kuala Selangor? Leave a comment below.
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.