Peanut candy is common during Chinese New Year but you can still find them for sale in Ipoh throughout the year!
You’ll find a long queue at any of the shops that specialize at making this crunchy and sweet peanut brittle treat! Customers will wait in line patiently just to buy the candy fresh and in bulk!
Table of contents:
- Sin Weng Fai Peanut Candy Shop
- Ming Yue Confectionery
- Happiness Confectionery (美心饼家)
- Guan Heong Biscuit Shop (源香饼家)
- Makan Nyonya Cafe (順豐小館)
Famous Peanut Candy In Ipoh
There are 5 places where you can get peanut candy in Ipoh.
All use basically the same ingredients – Sugar and maltose, some salt, sesame seeds, peanuts (of course), puffed rice grains and vegetable oil!
However, some of these shops sell other goodies you might be interested in!
1. Sin Weng Fai Peanut Candy Shop
This particular shop (and the second one on this list) is the go-to shop for tourists.
They have been churning out their signature fragrant peanut candy and kaya puffs for over 5 decades!
Another pastry you might want to try from here are their peanut cones! They make their own heong piah too!
Good To Know:
- Walk-in customers can only buy 10 300g packets/ person (or 5 for busier days)
- On weekdays, the queue is still at least 30 minutes long
- Their peanut candy is not too hard, too sweet or too salty
- Price range: ~RM9 for a single packet (300g)
- Usually sold out by late afternoon
- Not easy to find parking here
2. Ming Yue Confectionery
Wait time is just as long at Ming Yue’s as it is at Sin Weng Fai. And the queue is just for the peanut candy!
Which may be crunchy and tasty but it’s best to skip this place if you see a long queue.
However, their moon cakes are definitely worth a try! These are some of the best in Ipoh!
Good To Know:
- Not too sweet – You can try some first before buying
- Pre-order is not accepted
- They only start selling the peanut candy at 11:30am
- Candy is not pre-packed. The staff will take 30 minutes to pack it on the spot
- They just make 150kg worth of the candy in a day
- Price range: ~RM3 per 100 gram
- 1kg maximum per person
Read more: 15 Best Breakfast In Ipoh
3. Happiness Confectionery (美心饼家)
Happiness Confectionery or Konfeksi Happiness is walking distance from Ming Yue Confectionery.
So if the tremendous queues at Ming Yue Confectionery discourage you, you can still pick up peanut candy from here!
4. Guan Heong Biscuit Shop (源香饼家)
An exceptional home-grown business (of 4 generations) selling traditional Chinese pastries:
Guan Heong’s signature products are their meat floss and salted egg biscuits! Other innovative pastries you can find here are their dried meat biscuits and moon cakes. And different variations of heong peah!
And while you’re happily browsing in their air-conditioned store, you can pick up some peanut candy too!
Good To Know:
- Friendly and efficient service
- Vegetarian options available
- Parking is hard to find
- You may want to make a pre-order
5. Makan Nyonya Cafe (順豐小館)
Have authentic nyonya dishes in a quaint and beautiful café environment. The coffee is strong and the “iced blue coffee” has froth that is tinted blue by bunga telang!
This is a family-run establishment with good service. They use high quality ingredients. You can order dishes like vinegar pig trotters, pan mee, har mee or lam mee.
Sometimes, they have specialties like assam fish!
They have a lot of home-made treats like kuih bakul (or nian gao), bak gua, lap cheong, and peanut candy for advanced booking:
- Booking is via WeChat (jason82zzz) or WhatsApp (+6016 – 597 4848)
- Peanut candy sells for RM8 per 250g – They may sell some early in the morning too.
The last thing you want to do in Ipoh is to waste time going around in circles finding somewhere to park your car!
Especially when you are checking out different souvenir stores in Ipoh! And the ones that are further from town!
Eliminate that headache with a private guided tour in Ipoh!
Ipoh peanut candy is a highly sought-after tidbit that visitors buy (in bulk) for friends and family. There are a few places to get peanut candy in Ipoh.
The most well-known bakeries like Ming Yue and Sin Weng Fai are very popular with tourists due to their reputation and location.
While bakeries like Guan Heong Biscuit Shop, are a good one-stop shop to buy edible Ipoh souvenirs!
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.