Ipoh transport services are not as complex as in KL. Even as the third most populated city in Malaysia, there are surprisingly not many Ipoh transport and tour services!
The locals prefer to rely on driving their own cars or motorcycles. For tourists, getting around Ipoh means taking a bus, taxi or tour service. Or renting a car. You can walk or cycle in Old Town too.
Which option is for you? Find out in this post as we compare the available transportation in Ipoh!
Table Of Contents:
- Hop-On Hop-Off Bus
- Grab Or Taxi
- Car Rental Service
- Ipoh On Foot
- Transport And Tour Service
1. Getting Around Ipoh With Ipoh Public Transport – Bus
Starting with the public bus system in Ipoh! Known as myBAS by Perak Transit.
There are 2 bus terminals in Ipoh. And 20 minutes’ drive apart.
- Terminal Amanjaya – Main terminal for inter-city buses (e.g. Penang or Kuala Lumpur)
- Medan Kidd Station (Ipoh Old Town) – Main terminal for the local routes
The local buses are not known for their punctuality or reliability. Do prepare yourself for some waiting!
1.1. Getting From Ipoh Airport To Ipoh Town
Flying to Ipoh? There is a bus route that stops at the airport:
But versus the driving time of 10 minutes, taking local bus is inefficient. As the total duration via bus is ~1 hour, 20 minutes!
And Bus T37 doesn’t come often either! However, it’s only ~RM3 for a one-way trip!
SJKC Bandar Seri Botani – Symphony Suites Hotel – Sam Poh Tong Temple – Gunung Rapat Market – Medan Gopeng Station – Carsem M Site – Sultan Azlan Shah Airport – Quest International University Perak – Tow Boo Keong Temple – Mural Art’s Lane (Near Jalan Sultan Iskandar – Ipoh New Town) – Railway Station Ipoh (Ipoh Old Town) – Medan Kidd Station
1.2. Bus From Amanjaya To Ipoh Town
Buses from all over West Malaysia stop at Amanjaya Terminal. This residential area doesn’t have much except a mall and an international school.
Naturally, visitors will want to head to the main town instead!
And they can get there via the 30-minute bus journey from Amanjaya Terminal to Medan Kidd Station in Ipoh Old Town!
Bus 30a & 30b:
Amanjaya Terminal – Carsem S Site – Church Of Our Lady Of Lourdes – Medan Kidd Station
1.3. Getting Around Ipoh
Tourists will want to look out for Bus F100 which makes a loop around Ipoh Old town and other busy areas in the city!
The one-way fare can range from RM1 to RM3+.
Medan Kidd Station – Railway Station Ipoh (Ipoh Old Town) – St. Michael’s Institution – UTC Ipoh – Gerbang Malam Ipoh – Ipoh Parade – Greentown – Angsana Mall – Ipoh General Hospital – Railway Station Ipoh (Ipoh Old Town) – Medan Kidd Station
Stops To Look Out For:
- Ipoh Railway Station – 8-10-min walk from Concubine Lane, passing by Ipoh High Court, Birch Memorial Clock Tower and a bunch of Ipoh cafes
- Gerbang Malam Ipoh – Close to Ipoh souvenir, Ipoh salted chicken and peanut candy shops! 2 –min walk from Octagon apartment; 4-min walk from The Majestic condominium; 7-min walk from Panglima Kinta Mosque.
- Ipoh Parade – one of Ipoh’s most well-loved malls; it is linked to Weil Hotel
Other Bus Routes You Might Want To Take Note Of:
Mind you, you’re much better off taking a taxi or Grab when travelling further than Ipoh Old Town!
Bus 35 – Perak Cave Temple (~1 hour, 40 minutes from Ipoh Old Town)
Bus 66/ T37 – Qing Xin Ling Leisure & Cultural Village (~1 hour from Ipoh Old Town)
Bus T33a, T33b, F101a, F101b – Lost World Of Tambun (~3 hours from Ipoh Old Town)
Tips For Taking The Public Bus Around Ipoh
Communication may be an issue as there’s a good chance the driver doesn’t speak fluent English.
But you can try your luck!
- Have loose change so you can prepare the exact change
- Let the driver know where you intend to get off
- Dress appropriately – locals are not accustomed to seeing a lot of bare skin. You may get uncomfortable glances.
Pros Of Taking The Public Bus Around Ipoh
- Very cheap
- Buses go to a good number of the tourist attractions in Ipoh
- Better for the environment
Cons Of Taking The Public Bus Around Ipoh
- Buses are quite old
- Language barrier
- No bus after 8pm
- Not always on time
2. Getting Around Ipoh With Hop-On Hop-Off Bus (Weekends Only)
A fairly new initiative by Tourism Ministry of Ipoh:
The colorful Hop-on, Hop-off bus makes 2 circuits around Ipoh’s most popular attractions on the weekends! Including the majestic Kellie’s Castle!
2.1. In – Circuit Route
Operating Hours: 8:30 am – 9:30 pm
- Meru Terminal (Amanjaya)
- Ipoh High Court
- Little India
- Ipoh Old Town
- Telekom Malaysia
- Brewster Road
- Weil Hotel / Ipoh Parade
- Gerbang Malam (Night Market)
- The Majestic
- Panglima Kinta Mosque
2.2. Out – Circuit Route
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 8:30 pm
- Meru Terminal
- Ipoh Town Hall
- Ipoh Old Town
- Ipoh Parade
- Lost World Of Tambun
- Pomelo Orchard Farm
- Sam Poh Tong
- Gopeng Town
- Kellie’s Castle
- Silveritage Medan Gopeng
- Panglima Kinta Mosque
2.3. Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Ticket Price
Once you have the pass, you can have countless rides (i.e. unlimited times) on this bus until it ends its service in the late evening.
|1-Day Pass||With MyKad||RM12||RM10|
|2-Day Pass||With MyKad||RM20||RM20|
3. Getting Around Ipoh With Grab Or Taxi
We would only recommend taking the bus if you’re trying to make your money stretch. And if you have lots of time to spare in your Ipoh trip itinerary!
Because taking a taxi of Grab in Ipoh can usually get you where you want to go in half the time!
You’ll find it easier to hail a Grab car or taxi closer to the shopping malls in Ipoh. As well as the airport!
Typical Costs (Based on the Grab app in April 2020):
- Amanjaya to Ipoh Railway Station (Ipoh Old Town) – ~RM14
- Amanjaya to Lost World Of Tambun – ~RM18
- Ipoh Sultan Azlan Shah Airport to Ipoh Railway Station (Ipoh Old Town) – ~RM9
- Ipoh Sultan Azlan Shah Airport to Lost World Of Tambun – ~RM13
- Ipoh Old Town to Perak Cave Temple – ~RM9
- Ipoh Old Town to Kellie’s Castle – ~RM30
Tips For Taking A Taxi In Ipoh
- It’s polite (and expected) to take the first taxi in the queue
- Check that they use a meter first
- If they quote you more than RM20 for within the city, that’s too much!
Pros Of Taking Grab Around Ipoh
- Not too expensive
- Go anywhere you want in Ipoh
- Fixed prices through the app
Cons Of Taking Grab Around Ipoh
- Usually just a small car
- Arranging return trips with the driver is an additional hassle but necessity for places that are further
- Grab is not as common as in Penang or Kuala Lumpur
- Don’t assume that you can find one easily after dark
4. Getting Around Ipoh With A Car Rental Service
Not your first time driving in Malaysia? Renting a car is another option you may want to look into!
Notable Rental Car Companies In Ipoh:
- Asia Car Rental – main office is in Ipoh Garden South
Price average around RM150 per day for 5pax for a small car. Or ~RM200 per day for an imported sedan.
Pros Of Renting A Car In Ipoh
- Keeps your schedule flexible
- Travel together in a private group
Cons Of Renting A Car In Ipoh
- Have to pay parking fees
- Pricey for more than a day
- It’s not easy to find car park slot in Ipoh Old Town
5. Getting Around Ipoh By Bicycle
Bicycle rental in Ipoh is definitely not as established as in Penang:
For the moment, there’s currently only one company offering such a service in Ipoh!
CycleDios Smart Bike Rental
Regular bicycles for adults cost RM5 every 30 minutes, with a RM20 deposit. They have family bicycles too where a kid can sit with an adult. These cost RM10 every 30 minutes.
And other than their bicycle rental service, they offer heritage rickshaw tours (~RM100/hour) too.
Pros Of Renting A Bicycle In Ipoh
- Go at your own pace
- Family-friendly activity
- Not too expensive
- Bikes and stations all around Ipoh Old Town
Cons Of Renting A Bicycle In Ipoh
- Only available around Ipoh Old Town
- Need to register on the app first
- You can return the bicycle at any of the parking stations around town!
6. Getting Around Ipoh On Foot
Staying in a hotel in Ipoh Old Town?
Then walking is an ideal way of sight-seeing at a leisurely pace! With more chances of spotting Ipoh street art!
You can get a map from the Ipoh Tourist Information Centre by Ipoh Padang. To decide which Ipoh walking trail you want to take!
Tips On Walking In Ipoh
- Snatch thieves exist in Ipoh! Always keep your bag close to you!
Pros Of Walking In Ipoh
- No time limit
- Don’t have to worry about parking or catching the bus
Cons Of Walking In Ipoh
- Very hot with limited shade
7. Getting Around Ipoh With Ipoh Transport And Tour Service
Finally, there’re Ipoh private tour services that you can take for better part of the day!
RayTheTour offers flexible private tours to Ipoh and even up to Cameron Highlands!
Other benefits of booking a tour with RayTheTour include:
- Friendly local tour guide (English or Chinese-speaking)
- Pick up from your hotel
- Drop off at your hotel after the tour
- MPV or van transport
- All transport costs covered
- No limit to the number of places to visit!
To choose the most suitable Ipoh transport service for your trip:
Factor in your arrival point in Ipoh, your budget, Ipoh hotel, and the places you want to see!
It may be the local bus, taxi, Grab or your own two feet! And don’t forget, bicycle rental, car rental or a private tour service!
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.