So if you cannot decide whether you should stay in Ipoh for a few hours, 2 days or 3 days, you can have a look at our ready-made itineraries below!
Table of contents:
- Ipoh Itinerary Highlights
- Ipoh Itinerary
- Getting Around In Ipoh
- How To Get To Ipoh
- Accommodation In Ipoh
- Day Trips From Ipoh
Any good Ipoh itinerary usually encompasses at least a few of the following elements, and for good reason:
1. Ipoh Itinerary Highlights
These are the best of Ipoh attractions and most accessible too!
You best believe that there are actually tourists that come to Ipoh just for the food!
1.1. Ipoh Food Trip
Steep competition guarantees an impressively high standard when it comes to the taste of Ipoh food.
- Curry mee,
- Hakka mee,
- Kai se hor fun,
- Chee cheong fun,
- Wantan mee
See a list of must-try food in Ipoh.
Keep your eyes peeled:
1.2. Ipoh Street Art/ Mural Lane
You’ll definitely bump into a couple of these colorful wall murals in a stray alley or at the back of a building.
There are many in Mural Art’s Lane: Jalan Masjid, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh,Perak
And if you want to see the ones painted by Lithuanian artist, Ernest Zacharevic:
- Old Town Relieves Nostalgia With Trishaw (Pictured below)
- Hanging Kopi O Ikat Tepi
- A Yellow Hummingbird
- Kids Riding a Paper Plane
- An Old Uncle Drinking Coffee
- Evolution (Tin mining Dredge)
Grab a map from the Ipoh Tourist Information Center.
And while you’re at the Ipoh Tourist Information Center:
1.3. Ipoh Heritage Walk/ Historical Buildings
Don’t forget to grab a map of the Ipoh heritage walk!
Or download an Ipoh heritage map from the Ipoh World website.
This walk will take you around all the buildings of historical significance in Ipoh.
Including British-colonial building, Ipoh Railway Station and other landmarks like the Birch Memorial Clock Tower.
Allow at least 1-2 hours.
A unique feature of Ipoh:
1.4. Ipoh Cave Temples
Ipoh is home to at least 6 of these wonderful temples!
The most notable ones are:
2. Ipoh Itinerary
Ipoh is a laidback city and your Ipoh itinerary should reflect this pace!
- Start the day with breakfast in a local kopitiam – Try Ipoh white coffee!
- Go on the Ipoh heritage walk
- Visit a historical museum or antique gallery
- Stay cool in one of Ipoh’s many cave temples
- Try silky-smooth tau fu fah!
- See how Tambun pomelos are grown
- End the day with a roadside “snow beer”
2.1. How Long To Stay In Ipoh
3 days gives you enough time to explore more than just central Ipoh!
While 1 day seems like you are just scratching the surface.
If you can only afford a day to see Ipoh:
2.2. Ipoh Day Trip Itinerary
A 1 day trip in Ipoh is common as many see Ipoh as a passing stop rather than the end destination.
The one we have planned here assumes you plan to walk for most of the day.
With the highlight being Ipoh Old Town.
Ipoh One Day Trip Schedule
The earlier you arrive, the better to avoid the afternoon heat!
- Arrive for brunch in Ipoh at Nam Heong White Coffee – try egg tarts and Ipoh White Coffee.
- Explore Concubine Lane and Kong Heng Square.
- Miniature Wonders Art Gallery is worth a peep.
- So is the Yasmin Ahmad museum (in Book Xcess Kong Heng)
- Attempt the Ipoh Heritage Walk if the weather allows for it.
- Go for a tour at Han Chin Pet Soo museum for an eye-opener into Ipoh’s tin mining history
- Have lunch at Thean Chun but prepare for a long wait for the kai se hor fun.
- Or cross over to Ipoh New Town and have lunch (Lou Wong’s chicken rice)
- See some murals at Mural Art’s Lane
- Try tau fu fah at Big Mom Beancurd or cendol at Deen CT Corner Cendol
- If you plan to leave before evening, pick up salted chicken at Ayam Garam Aun Kheng Lim (Main Branch) first
- Ipoh Heritage Walk or see Kellie’s Castle.
- Alternatively, visit a cave temple and Qing Xin Ling Leisure And Cultural Village, a recreational park close to some cave temples near Gunung Rapat.
- Depending on when you have to leave, squeeze in one last meal (Pusing Public Seafood Restaurant).
Want to see something less touristy with a local Ipoh-born guide to show you the way?
A continuation of the 1 day itinerary:
2.3. Ipoh 2 Days 1 Night Itinerary
2 days is the sweet spot for exploring Ipoh!
On the first day:
- Get supper or dessert (or both) at Tong Sui Kai
There’s a whole medley of places to check out at night in Ipoh actually.
On the second day:
Wake up as early as you can.
- Try some Ipoh dim sum (Restoran Chooi Yue Dim Sum)!
- Alternatively, have a typical Malaysian breakfast at Kedai Kopi Sin Yoon Loong.
- If you didn’t have time to do the Ipoh Heritage Walk, you can now!
- Otherwise, check out Kellie’s Castle or HOGA Gaharu Tea Valley in Gopeng!
- Pack and check out of your Ipoh hotel
- Get lunch at an Ipoh café. (Aud’s Café by JJ or Artisan Handmade Bread in Ipoh old Town)
- Go see Perak Cave Temple (or Perak Tong)
- Else, go for a short cave exploration tour at Gua Tempurung.
- Fancy Nyonya food? Have an early dinner at Yum Yum Restaurant Ipoh
An extension of the previous itinerary:
2.4. Ipoh 3 Days 2 Night Itinerary
More opportunities to try more Ipoh food!
And this where you can get out of Ipoh to explore other interesting places!
On the second day:
- Soak at the hot springs at Sunway’s Lost World of Tambun
- Or go for a massage at Thai Oasis (ICC Club)
On the third day:
- Check out of your hotel.
- Try another breakfast in Ipoh (Chang Jiang White Coffee or Restaurant Moon De Moon)
- Start your journey to Taiping, Perak’s former capital!
- Take a stroll at Taiping Lake Gardens
- Drive to Kuala Sepetang (30 minutes)
- Have lunch at Kuala Sepetang – famous for mee udang (Saleh Stall Mee Udang Port Weld)!
- See Kuala Sepetang’s charcoal factory
- Walk on the mangrove boardwalk at Matang Mangrove Reserve
- Take a boat tour to see the eagles and on to Kuala Sangga Fishing Village.
- Depart back home.
Alternatively, on the third day:
Make a trip up to Cameron Highlands and stay for at least 1 night.
For those who didn’t drive their way to Ipoh:
3. Getting Around In Ipoh
There are 3 main entry points then:
- AmanJaya Bus Terminal
- Ipoh Railway Station
- Ipoh Airport (Sultan Azlan Shah Airport)
Possible to walk to Ipoh Old Town from Ipoh Railway Station if you don’t have much luggage weighing you down.
As for the other two arrival points, you will need to rely on public or private transport.
Public/ Private Transport In Ipoh
There are pros and cons of each:
|Bus||-Cheap||-Unreliable (i.e. not punctual)|
-The main station (Ipoh AmanJaya) is 20 minutes’ from town
|Taxi||-Convenient in the city||-Harder to find one further from Ipoh town|
-Sometimes, you get a taxi that does not have a meter and the driver can charge more
-More expensive in certain situations (i.e. public holiday, off-peak hours, airport transfer, etc)
|E-hail taxi||-Convenient in the city|
|-Still not as many as in Kuala Lumpur|
-Certain areas out of the city centre have longer waiting times before you get a willing driver
|Car rental||-You can go where you want||-It’s difficult to navigate and find parking in Ipoh Old Town during the weekends|
-Expensive for solo travellers
|Private tour service||-You don’t have to drive (or park)|
-Personal guide who is Ipoh-born
-Pick up / drop off within Ipoh
-You can also go to Camerons/ Taiping with the same tour
|-Expensive for solo travellers|
The private tour service we’re recommending is RayTheTour.
4. How To Get To Ipoh
Ipoh is on the west coast of Peninsula Malaysia flanked by Penang, Pahang and Selangor.
The 3 neighboring states are linked by main highways making Ipoh highly accessible.
Especially if you have your own car!
What about Singapore?
4.1. Singapore To Ipoh
Most options take at least 5 hours:
- Train (multiple transits) from Singapore > Johor > Gemas – takes around 5 hours
- Bus (direct) – close to 8 hours!
- Self-drive – ~7 hours
Unless you choose to fly to Ipoh directly.
4.1.1. Singapore To Ipoh By Flight
This is by far, the quickest option!
- First, get yourself to Changi Airport in Singapore:
- Then, take the 1 hour and 15 minutes flight to Ipoh.
There are up to 6 flights a day from Singapore to Sultan Azlan Shah Airport, Ipoh.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Price range: $40-420 SGD or RM 120- 1,260
4.2. Kuala Lumpur To Ipoh
So many options to choose from!
- ETS train to Ipoh Railway Station – 3 hours, tickets from RM36
- Bus from Terminal Bersepadu Selatan from to Ipoh AmanJaya Bus Terminal – ~3 hours, from RM20
- Taxi – 2 hours with no traffic, RM200 to RM300
- Self-drive via Lebuhraya Utara – Selatan/E1 (North-South Highway) – 2 hours, ~RM60 for petrol and toll
4.3. Penang To Ipoh
If you have your own car, it’s only too easy to make a trip down to Ipoh!
4.3.1. Penang To Ipoh by Self-driving
Using Lebuhraya Utara – Selatan/AH2/E1:
Duration: 2 hours (~161km)
Price range: RM30 to refuel and toll fees around RM16.8.
4.3.2. Penang To Ipoh by Bus
There are a few departure points – either from the island or at the mainland.
3 Departure points from Penang Island to Ipoh:
- Penang Komtar
- George Town
- Sungai Nibong
2 Departure points from Penang Mainland (Butterworth or Perai):
- Penang Sentral (Butterworth)
- Chai Leng Park – Caltex
You can book your bus ticket online via easybook.com.
Most bus operators will drop you off at Ipoh AmanJaya Bus Terminal.
Price range: RM15-35
Read more: How To Go To Ipoh From Penang
5. Accommodation In Ipoh
As with the food industry, the hotel sector in Ipoh is equally competitive:
Which is good news for visitors!
5.1. Ipoh Hotel
You’ll immediately see that there are a lot of hotels in Ipoh!
Both of these have something unique about them:
5.1.1. Weil Hotel Ipoh
A modern hotel with contemporary rooms:
- Infinity pool overlooking Ipoh skyline
- Rooftop bar and restaurant (and other dining options)
- Connected to a shopping mall (Ipoh Parade
- Close to Tong Sui Kai (Dessert street)
- Covered and secure parking
Designed after a Bali-esque resort:
5.1.2. Ipoh Bali Hotel
Ipoh Bali Hotel is a little pricier than your average Ipoh boutique hotel:
But they have an almost perfect record for their reviews!
- In-house spa
- Delicious breakfast menu (local cuisine)
- Beautiful décor
- Quiet neighborhood
- Close to Secret Garden restaurant
5.2. Ipoh Homestay
Homestays are great if you have a bigger group with you:
5.2.1. Grayhaus Soho
Budget-friendly and very comfortable if you don’t mind small spaces too much!
Walking distance to Ipoh Old Town.
5.2.2. H2H – At Mind 9 Vacation LANDED House Ipoh Center
This renovated house-turned-homestay is extremely family-friendly!
Conveniently close to the airport too!
More choices: 11 Exceptional Homestay In Ipoh
6. Day Trips From Ipoh
Make an Ipoh road trip since you are already in Ipoh!
Cameron Highlands is usually the next destination for many Ipoh visitors:
The journey from Ipoh to Cameron Highlands is doable at 2 hours if you don’t mind windy roads!
Duration: 2 hours’ drive or more under heavy traffic
Distance from Ipoh: 89.8km
What’re the top attractions:
- Lavender Farm
- Strawberry Farms
- Cactus Farms
- BOH Tea Plantation
- Mossy Forest (Gunung Brinchang)
Read also: Cameron Highlands Itinerary: Cameron Highlands One Day Trip, 2D1N & 3D2N Itinerary
Taiping is a short drive from Ipoh with a very different character:
6.2. Ipoh To Taiping
It’s even quieter here than in Ipoh and many of the attractions will delight nature lovers!
Duration: 1 hour drive
Distance from Ipoh: 68.6km
What’s the top attractions:
- Taiping Lake Gardens
- Taiping Zoo
- Perak Museum
- Bukit Larut (Maxwell Hill)
Just under 30 minutes from Taiping:
6.3. Ipoh To Kuala Sepetang
Kuala Sepetang is a rural fishing district at the Sangga river (Sungai Sangga).
There’s a special kind of mangrove tree here that attracts fireflies!
Duration: 1 hour drive from Ipoh
Distance from Ipoh: 73.9km
What’s the top attractions:
- Matang Mangrove Reserve
- Charcoal Factory
- Kuala Sangga Fishing Village
If you’re Malaysian, you should definitely come over to Ipoh at least once.
For foreigners, you can consider Ipoh as a less commercial version of Penang:
Without the beaches.
But there are limestone hills, tin mining history and cave temples that sets Ipoh apart!
Follow or alter these Ipoh itinerary plans for a Ipoh trip of your own!
Like this post? Share it with your buddies who love travelling too!