Hotel Excelsior Ipoh is an easy choice for anyone looking for a conventional 3-star hotel that is close to many food options in Ipoh!
It might be one of the oldest hotels in Ipoh (built in 1983), but that doesn’t stop people from booking! Helps that it recently had a facelift!
Oh, and it’s fairly close to a shopping mall, Ipoh Parade! Overall, the super convenient location makes it a breeze to explore Ipoh on foot!
Table of contents:
- Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Location
- Rooms At Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
- Facilities At Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
- Restaurants At Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
- Food Near To Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
- Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Review
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ipoh Private Tour Service
A 5 star hotel in Ipoh town? Not quite but Hotel Excelsior still makes the list of recommended hotels in Ipoh!
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Contact Number & Location
Surrounding the hotel is a multitude of new and old buildings. You might be able to see Ipoh’s limestone hills in the distance depending on the clarity of the weather.
Rooms At Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
They have 196 well-equipped modern rooms that can suit groups of different sizes. It’s especially handy that they have rooms to fit 3 people specifically!
And they have suites ranging from 28sqm to 40sqm.
There are 4 themes that the rooms can come in:
1. Superior Room
They have 82 of these basic rooms that come with a bathroom.
Price Range: ~RM380 per night
2. Deluxe Room
Deluxe rooms are one step higher than the Standard rooms in terms of spaciousness and interior design.
Price Range: ~RM400 per night
3. Family Room (Triple)
The triple rooms are limited so book early if you need one because they only have 5 of these!
Price Range: ~RM500 per night
4. Family Room (Quadruple)
Family rooms consist of 2 queen beds with one bathroom to share.
Price Range: ~RM600 per night
5. Junior Suite
The Junior Suites will set you back another RM100 or so and it sleeps 2 people. But you get your own private living space! Hotel Excelsior Ipoh has 5 of these rooms.
Price Range: ~RM700 per night
6. Studio Suite
Studio Suites at Hotel Excelsior Ipoh have an additional luxury with an impressive four-poster bed, a bathtub and partitioned living space!
Price Range: ~RM900 per night
7. Executive Suite
No info or pictures.
Price Range: ~RM1,000 per night
Facilities At Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
There are many facilities and services to cater to any leisure or business traveler staying at Hotel Excelsior Ipoh.
About the only thing they are missing is a pool!
Facilities and services like:
- Luggage storage service
- Business center
- Scanning/ fax services
- Laundry service
- Daily newspaper
- Daily housekeeping from 7am to 10:30pm
- Complimentary WiFi internet access
Meetings & Events
1. Function Halls (5 x Conference Room)
There are 5 function rooms of varying sizes on the ground and 5th floor. Equipped with modern audio and visual systems, the versatile rooms are perfect for corporate or private events.
2. Excelsior Ballroom (13A Floor)
Newly renovated, the ballroom can hold up to 500 pax for a wedding dinner. Or up to 1,000 with a theatre configuration if you have a large seminar to hold.
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Parking
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh has its own multi-tiered, sheltered and secure car park that is free for guests.
Restaurants At Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
Three very different eateries cater to hungry guests of Hotel Excelsior Ipoh. So, don’t worry if it’s a rainy day and you’re stuck indoors!
1. Dulang Coffee House (Ground Floor)
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Dulang Coffee House serves local and international food.
Since the renovation, there is an outdoor balcony for guests to enjoy too!
2. Sonata Lounge (1st Floor)
Sonata Lounge has a live band to serenade guests after 9pm from Tuesday to Sunday. This is an ideal spot for socializing or relaxing after a full day of exploring Ipoh.
Have a light snack or choose from their selection of drinks including wine and cocktails!
3. Excelsior Palace Chinese Restaurant (5th Floor)
This Ipoh Chinese Restaurant has a comfortable environment to sit down for a Chinese-style lunch or dinner. They have set meals and an ala carte menu – all non-halal.
Private rooms are available for booking.
Notable Ipoh Food Near To Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
1. Tong Sui Kai (糖水街)
Tong Sui Kai is an open-air food center beside a main road across Ipoh Pararde.
It opens around sunset and you can try heaps of different Ipoh food and other good stuff like beef noodles and oyster omelet. All in one place!
If you have a sweet tooth, you can try stall # 27 for a unique dessert “Mixed Fruits” featuring mixed fresh fruit on shaved ice!
Another version includes ice cream too!
2. Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum
The hype is real at Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum. During public holidays, school holidays and weekends, there’s a real chance you could be waiting for a seat for 10 to 40 minutes after 8:30am!
To avoid the crowds, you can try coming at 7:30am – 8am instead! There’s a huge selection of delicious dim sum to wake up to!
3. Restaurant Foh San
The previous dim sum restaurant can feel a little cramped. So if you’d like to eat in a more spacious environment, you may want to consider Restaurant Foh San!
They have a good assortment of dim sum to choose from too! Though the price is a bit more than other Ipoh dim sum restaurants!
4. Yoke Fook Moon Dim Sum Restaurant (Another Option)
Missed your morning or afternoon opportunity to have dim sum for breakfast? This particular dim sum restaurant opens again in the evening.
They do serve some local dishes like curry mee and egg tarts as well!
5. Cowan Street Ayam Tauge & Koitiau Restaurant
And we can’t forget to mention this very famous Ipoh chicken rice restaurant!
Opening hours are not reliable as the boss seems to open when he feels like it. You have to take your chances that it is open when you go!
You’ll know by the local crowd outside waiting for it to open!
What You Will Like:
- Friendly service
- Triple rooms are available!
- Good WiFi connectivity
- Complimentary bathroom toiletries
- Lots of amenities in the room – mini fridge unit, an electric kettle, a hair dryer, ironing board and iron and free bottled water
- City views
- Many eateries inside the hotel and outside!
- Not too far from Ipoh Parade Mall
- Free secure and covered parking
Good To Know:
- With so many dining options around, you can afford to choose the room rates without breakfast. Otherwise, the hotel does offer breakfast buffet.
- Book a non-smoking room if that is what you prefer
- Superior rooms are quite small
- Cleanliness is acceptable considering how old the hotel is!
- Laundry services are available on request
- Take a room with an odd number from the 5th floor for good city views
- Dim sum establishments close to the hotel – Foh San and Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum
- Chinese restaurant (Excelsior Palace) at the hotel is not halal; offers an affordable lunch set
- No halal eateries immediately close by
- There are two 7-Eleven convenience stores walking distance (5 minutes) from the hotel:
- 7-Eleven, 9a, Jalan Raja Ekram, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- 7 Eleven, 58, Jalan Datuk Onn Jaafar, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
Q1: What are the Ipoh attractions close to Ipoh Hotel Excelsior?
A1: Tong Sui Kai (4-minutes walk, 280m), Gerbang Malam Ipoh (8-minutes walk, 600m), Ipoh Parade Shopping Centre (7-minutes walk, 600m), Mural art’s lane (13-minutes walk, 950m).
Q2: What Ipoh food is near Ipoh Hotel Excelsior?
A2: For breakfast, Ipoh Dim Sum or Kedai Kopi Keng Nam (Curry Mee). For dinner, Cowan Street Ayam Tauge, Lou Wong Ayam Tauge or Tuck Kee Restaurant.
Q3: Nightlife spots near Hotel Excelsior?
A3: Viking Village Bar of Music, Bricks & Barrels Ipoh and ST. Patrick’s. For more things to do at night in Ipoh, read “Ipoh Nightlife“
Ipoh Private Tour Service
True, that you can walk to many places on your own from Weil Hotel. Like Ipoh New Town and maybe even Ipoh Old Town. But be prepared for the heat!
A private tour service by RayTheTour can get you comfortably around Ipoh to see cave temples, recreational parks like Qing Xin Ling Leisure And Cultural Village. Or even a pomelo plantation!
It’s not just transport – you’ll have an experienced guide sharing his favorite places and local insight with you!
A flexible itinerary ensures that you only go to places you really want to see!
And if you want to go further:
- Cameron Highlands
That can be included into a multi-day itinerary too!
Foodies will appreciate the superb location of Hotel Excelsior Ipoh! Being close to some notable Ipoh dim sum establishments and Tong Sui Kai!
Recent renovation gives the old hotel a firm standing point to compete with other newer hotels (like Weil Hotel) in Ipoh!
There is a sheltered car park but if you don’t have a car, you can always go for Grab or a private day tour!