Hotel Excelsior is an easy choice for anyone looking for a conventional 3-star hotel that is close to many food options in Ipoh.
It might be one of the oldest hotels in Ipoh (built in 1983). But that doesn’t stop people from booking! Especially since it recently had a facelift too.
Moreover, Hotel Excelsior is close to a shopping mall. Overall, the super convenient location makes it a breeze to explore Ipoh on foot! See what else you should know about this hotel before you make a booking.
Table of contents:
- Food Nearby
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ipoh Private Tour Service
A 5 star hotel in Ipoh town? Not quite but Hotel Excelsior still makes the list of recommended hotels in Ipoh!
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Contact Number & Location
Surrounding the hotel is a multitude of new and old buildings. You might be able to see Ipoh’s limestone hills in the distance depending on the clarity of the weather.
- Address: 43, Jalan Sultan Abdul Jalil, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Contact: +605-253 6666
- Website: www.hotelexcelsior.com.my
Rooms At Hotel Excelsior In Ipoh
They have 196 well-equipped modern rooms that can suit groups of different sizes. It’s especially handy that they have rooms to fit 3 people specifically.
And they have suites ranging from 28sqm to 40sqm.
There are 4 themes that the rooms can come in:
- Check-in at Hotel Excelsior Ipoh is from 3pm with check-out until 12pm.
- Prices listed below are from the hotel’s official website and are subject to change by the hotel.
1. Superior Room
They have 82 of these basic rooms that come with a bathroom.
Price Range: ~From RM250 per night
2. Deluxe Room
Deluxe rooms are one step higher than the Standard rooms in terms of spaciousness and interior design.
Price Range: ~From RM300 per night
3. Family Room (Triple)
The triple rooms are limited so book early if you need one because they only have 5 of these!
Price Range: ~From RM400 per night
4. Family Room (Quadruple)
Family rooms consist of 2 queen beds with one bathroom to share.
Price Range: ~From RM480 per night
5. Junior Suite
The Junior Suites will set you back another RM100 or so and it sleeps 2 people. But you get your own private living space! Hotel Excelsior Ipoh has 5 of these rooms.
Note: The bathroom may seem a little strange as it’s an open layout with frosted glass cubicles for the shower and toilet
Price Range: ~From RM400 per night
6. Studio Suite
Studio Suites at Hotel Excelsior Ipoh are luxurious with an impressive four-poster bed, a bathtub and partitioned living space!
Price Range: ~From RM430 per night
7. Executive Suite
No info or pictures.
Price Range: ~From RM600 per night
Facilities At Hotel Excelsior In Ipoh
There are many facilities and services to cater to any leisure or business traveler staying at Hotel Excelsior Ipoh.
The only thing that this hotel is missing is a pool!
Facilities and services like:
- Luggage storage service
- Business center
- Scanning/ fax services
- Laundry service
- Daily newspaper
- Daily housekeeping from 7am to 10:30pm
- Complimentary WiFi internet access
Meetings & Events
1. Function Halls (5 x Conference Room)
There are 5 function rooms of varying sizes on the ground and 5th floor. Equipped with modern audio and visual systems, the versatile rooms are perfect for corporate or private events.
2. Excelsior Ballroom (13A Floor)
Newly renovated, the ballroom can hold up to 500 pax for a wedding dinner. Or up to 1,000 with a theatre configuration if you have a large seminar to hold.
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Parking
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh has its own multi-tiered, sheltered, and secure car park that is free for guests.
Note: Car park ramp is very narrow for bigger cars
Restaurants At Hotel Excelsior
Three very different eateries cater to hungry guests of Hotel Excelsior Ipoh. So, don’t worry if it’s a rainy day and you’re stuck indoors!
1. The Dulang Coffee House (Ground Floor)
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Dulang Coffee House serves local and international food.
Since the renovation, there is an outdoor balcony for guests to enjoy too!
Opening Hours: 6am to 11pm
2. Sonata Lounge (1st Floor)
Sonata Lounge has a live band to serenade guests after 9pm from Tuesday to Sunday. This is an ideal spot for socializing or relaxing after a full day of exploring Ipoh.
Have a light snack or choose from their selection of drinks including wine and cocktails!
Opening Hours: 4pm to 12am every day but closes 1 hour later on Friday and Saturday
3. Excelsior Palace Chinese Restaurant (5th Floor)
Note: Temporarily closed
This Chinese restaurant in Ipoh has a comfortable environment to sit down for lunch or dinner. They have set meals and an ala carte menu – all non-halal.
Private rooms are available for booking.
Find other options for notable Chinese restaurants in Ipoh.
Notable Ipoh Food Near To Hotel Excelsior In Ipoh
1. Tong Sui Kai (糖水街)
Tong Sui Kai is an open-air food center beside a main road across Ipoh Parade.
It opens around sunset. And you can try different Ipoh food and other good stuff like beef noodles and oyster omelet. All in one place!
If you have a sweet tooth, you can try stall # 27 for a unique dessert “Mixed Fruits” featuring mixed fresh fruit on shaved ice!
Another version includes ice cream too!
- Location: Jalan Carey, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, PerakOpening Hours: 6pm to 2am
- Walk Distance From Hotel Excelsior: 4 minutes
2. Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum
The hype is real at Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum. During public holidays, school holidays and weekends, there’s a real chance you could be waiting for a seat for 10 to 40 minutes after 8:30am!
To avoid the crowds, you can try coming at 7:30am – 8am instead! There’s a huge selection of delicious dim sum to wake up to!
See what to order at Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum Restaurant.
- Location: 36, Jalan Leong Sin Nam, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Opening Hours: 6am to 1:30pm (Closed on Thursdays)
- Walk Distance From Hotel Excelsior: 2 minutes
3. Restaurant Foh San
The previous dim sum restaurant can feel a little cramped. So if you’d like to eat in a more spacious environment, you may want to consider Restaurant Foh San!
They have a good assortment of dim sum to choose from too! Though the price is a bit more than other Ipoh dim sum restaurants!
Want to know what our experience at Foh San Dim Sum was like?
- Location: 51, Jalan Leong Sin Nam, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Opening Hours: 6:30am to 2:30pm (Closed on Tuesdays)
- Walk Distance From Hotel Excelsior: 2 minutes
4. Cowan Street Ayam Tauge & Koitiau Restaurant
And we can’t forget to mention this very famous Ipoh chicken rice restaurant!
Opening hours are not reliable as the boss seems to open when he feels like it. You have to take your chances that it is open when you go!
You’ll know by the local crowd outside waiting for it to open! Read more about Cowan Street Beansprout Chicken Restaurant.
- Location: 44, Jalan Raja Ekram, Kampung Jawa, 31350 Ipoh, Perak
- Opening Hours: 6pm to 12am (Closed on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday)
- Walk Distance From Hotel Excelsior: 1 minute
Hotel Excelsior Ipoh Review
What You Will Like:
- Friendly service
- Triple rooms are available!
- Good Wi-Fi connectivity
- Complimentary bathroom toiletries
- Lots of amenities in the room – mini fridge unit, an electric kettle, a hair dryer, ironing board and iron and free bottled water
- City views
- Many eateries inside the hotel and outside!
- Not too far from Ipoh Parade Mall
- Free secure and covered parking
Good To Know:
- With so many dining options around, you can afford to choose the room rates without breakfast. Otherwise, the hotel does offer breakfast buffet.
- Book a non-smoking room if that is what you prefer
- Superior rooms are quite small
- Cleanliness is acceptable considering how old the hotel is!
- Laundry services are available on request
- Take a room with an odd number from the 5th floor for good city views
- Dim sum establishments close to the hotel – Foh San and Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum
- Chinese restaurant (Excelsior Palace) at the hotel is not halal; offers an affordable lunch set
- No halal eateries immediately close by
- There are two 7-Eleven convenience stores walking distance (5 minutes) from the hotel:
- 7-Eleven, 9a, Jalan Raja Ekram, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- 7 Eleven, 58, Jalan Datuk Onn Jaafar, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
If you’re keen on having easy access to Ipoh Parade shopping mall, you might want to look into WEIL hotel.
And for a modern hotel that offers value-for-money, try MU Hotel.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
Q1: What are the Ipoh attractions close to Ipoh Hotel Excelsior?
A1: Tong Sui Kai (4-minutes’ walk, 280m), Gerbang Malam Ipoh (8-minutes’ walk, 600m), Ipoh Parade Shopping Centre (7-minutes’ walk, 600m), Mural art’s lane (13-minutes’ walk, 950m).
Q2: What Ipoh food is near Ipoh Hotel Excelsior?
A2: For breakfast, Ipoh Dim Sum or Kedai Kopi Keng Nam (Curry Mee). For dinner, Cowan Street Ayam Tauge, Lou Wong Ayam Tauge or Tuck Kee Restaurant.
Q3: Nightlife spots near Hotel Excelsior?
A3: Viking Village Bar of Music, Bricks & Barrels Ipoh and ST. Patrick’s. For more things to do at night in Ipoh, read “Ipoh Nightlife“
Q4: Local shops near Hotel Excelsior?
Ipoh Private Tour Service
True, you can walk to many places on your own from Hotel Excelsior. Like Ipoh New Town and maybe even Ipoh Old Town. But be prepared for the heat!
A private tour service by RayTheTour can get you comfortably around Ipoh to see cave temples, recreational parks like Qing Xin Ling Leisure And Cultural Village. Or even a pomelo plantation!
It’s not just transport – you’ll have an experienced guide sharing his favorite places and local insight with you! And a flexible itinerary ensures that you only go to places you really want to see!
And if you want to go further:
- Cameron Highlands
That can be included in a multi-day itinerary too!
Book with RayTheTour on WhatsApp.
Foodies will appreciate the superb location of Hotel Excelsior Ipoh! It is close to famous Ipoh dim sum establishments and Tong Sui Kai!
PS: Want to know where best to have breakfast in Ipoh?
Recent renovation gives the old hotel a firm standing point to compete with newer hotels in Ipoh!
There is a sheltered car park too. But if you don’t have a car, you can always go for Grab or a private day tour!