True, Ipoh nightlife isn’t as happening as in Penang or Kuala Lumpur. In fact, nightlife in Ipoh is limited to bars, restaurants, the mall, hawker joints and good old karaoke!
But just in case you want more options, here are some chill things to do when the sun goes down.
Bet you’re surprised there’s even a need for a table of contents for what to do in Ipoh at night!
- Coffee & Tea
- Dessert Houses & Ipoh Cafes
- Fancy Restaurants
- Hawker Joints
- Night Market
- Cocktail Bars
- Dance Clubs
- Ipoh Heritage Walk At Night
- Family-friendly Activities
- Sunway Lost World of Tambun
- Shopping & Karaoke
- Bowling or The Movies
13 Things To Do In Ipoh At Night
1. Coffee & Tea
You don’t necessarily need alcohol to end the night!
If you know where to look, you can still get some amazing beverages and a cozy spot to hang out with friends:
There are 8 branches of Starbucks in Ipoh. But the one the locals prefer (for its spaciousness and ample parking) is the Tambun branch.
And this popular branch stays closes the latest of all of them.
- Address of the Tambun branch: Sunway City Ipoh, 31150, Ipoh, Perak.
- Operating hours: 8am to 1:30am; Friday & Saturday open until 2:30am
1.2. Ipoh White Coffee
Haven’t had a chance to try a cup of Ipoh white coffee yet?
It’s possible to find a couple of places that serve Ipoh white coffee at night.
1.3. Bubble Tea
Despite negative effects on the environment (and waistlines):
Bubble tea shops are very lively on weekend nights. The yum cha culture is strong in Ipoh.
Tip: Try to see if they will accept filling up your tumbler instead of the plastic cup with the cover and plastic straw!
1.3.1. The Alley Ipoh Soho
With the air-conditioned environment, The Alley Ipoh Soho offers respite from the afternoon heat. But in the evening, it’s still a cozy spot for a hangout session with friends.
Although you can’t have a big gathering here as there are limited seats. Both bubble tea and the food (they have some western dishes and cake) are good. However, service from the staff can vary.
- Address: Blok D-G-15, Soho Ipoh, 2, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 11am to 1am
Other bubble tea shops to try:
- Daboba Ipoh Soho
2. Dessert Houses & Ipoh Cafe Options That Open at Night
Sometimes, you have to succumb to your inner sweet tooth! And there are some dessert shops in Ipoh (especially at the SOHO Ipoh) that close late.
Try these out:
2.1. Vanilla Mille Crepe Ipoh
A bit of a French theme going on here with the black and white tiles. And prominent Eiffel tower centerpiece:
Come here for their yummy layer crepe cakes in a quiet and family-friendly environment!
Their layer cakes have many various flavors. Most of which are not overly sweet. But while they do serve coffee and tea here, they are not particularly good.
- Address: D-G-17, SOHO Ipoh, Jalan Sultan Iskandar, 31650 Ipoh, Negeri Perak
- Operating hours: 10am to 12am
2.2. DEKÕRI Premium Café – Ipoh Soho
Because of their late closing hours, DEKÕRI Premium Café is a go-to spot for many on weekend nights.
The environment is beautiful and comfortable for families too. There are also chairs and tables outside the café.
Besides this, the café is halal and there is coffee on the menu.
We like their chocolate toast and it’s crispy with a tasty chocolate syrup. Watermelon on shaved ice is a popular item too. The shaved ice under the watermelon balls is mildly sweet with a milky taste.
Expect to spend more than RM30 if you’re getting a drink and a dessert.
- Address: Block B-G-9 SOHO IPOH, Jalan Sultan Iskandar, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 10am to 1am
2.3. STG Ipoh Oldtown
STG Ipoh Oldtown is a beautiful Western-style cafe in town that has a good lava chocolate cake and unique tea flavors.
This is the place to bring a date if you don’t mind the higher prices!
- Address: 18 & 20, Jalan Tun Sambanthan, 30000 Ipoh, Negeri Perak
- Operating hours: 12pm to 11pm
Read also: 17 Best Cozy Cafes In Ipoh – By Location! (Includes New Cafes)
3. Fancy Restaurants
Ipoh has a handful of nicer restaurants that are suitable for a special occasion:
3.1. The Deck Gastrobar at Weil Hotel
Needless to say, the best part about this restaurant/ bar is the view of the city skyline which makes it a fabulous Ipoh night attraction! Especially if you’re staying at WEIL hotel.
Western food is served here and drinks are quite affordable.
Sit by the infinity pool and enjoy your drink!
Note: Can’t sit outside if there is heavy rain as the seats get all wet
- Address: 292, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 4pm to 1am
3.2. Red Inn HotPot Ipoh
A hidden entrance belies a warm environment within:
Not your ordinary steamboat restaurant, Red Inn HotPot Ipoh serves a variety of different tasty steamboat soup bases (try the clam one!) in an oriental-inspired environment!
You can book their KTV VIP room and check out their bar too!
- It’s certainly quite pricey for steamboat!
- They attribute the prices to that fact that they don’t stinge on the quality of their food.
- You do get a considerable discount on selected drinks if you eat here though!
- Address: 124, Jalan Sultan Yusof, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 4pm to 12am (Closed on Wednesdays)
- Contact: +6012-313 0124
3.3. Jeff’s Cellar
If dining in a cave doesn’t sound the least bit romantic to you:
Jeff’s Cellar will change your mind! Strategically placed lighting brings out the natural beauty of the cavern. It is a unique fine dining experience if you don’t mind the exorbitant prices.
You can take a tour (additional cost) of their wine cellar too!
- Address: 1, Persiaran Lagoon, Sunway 3, 31150 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 6pm to 11pm
- Contact: +605-210 7777
Read more about other fine dining places in Ipoh.
4. Hawker Joints
These are 3 of the undisputed popular hawker centers:
4.1. Aneka Selera Restaurant Kam Wan
Hunger pangs after dinner time? No worries, you can still find something to eat here!
You can get chee cheong fun, claypot chicken rice, popiah, nasi pandan, ABC ice kacang, satay and much more!
- Address: 87 Lengkok Canning, Taman Canning, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 3:30pm to 10:30pm
4.2. Stadium Hawker Center
Different food stalls operate here during the day and night! At night, look for the famous wan ton mee, chicken rice and char kuey teow stalls!
If you happen to be here around Ramadhan, get ready for the Bazar Ramadhan Stadium Indera Mulia!
- Address: Jalan Kompleks Sukan, Kompleks Sukan Ipoh, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 5pm – 10:30pm
4.3. Tong Sui Kai 糖水街
Ipoh’s famous dessert street also offers some authentic Malaysian snacks and noodles!
This place is popular with tourists, local families as well as friends looking for a late-night supper spot!
Note: If you are particular about hygiene, the roadside location of this hawker area might bother you.
- Address: Jalan Sultan Ekram, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 5pm to 11:30pm (Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays)
More ideas on where to eat in Ipoh at night.
5. Gerbang Malam – Ipoh Night Market
As evening draws, the road is closed off to cars to enable vendors to set up their stalls for the night market!
This market is in Ipoh Old Town, so it is an easy item to add to your list of things to in Ipoh at night.
But while there’s nothing in particular that is absolutely worth buying:
It still makes for a nice and interesting stroll at night. Look out for some local snacks and handicraft while you are here.
- Address: Jalan Dato Tahwil Azar, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 6pm to 12am
There are literally so many to choose from, it’ll make your head spin before you even touch the liquor!
And we’ll probably have to make a dedicated post for this topic alone but here are 5 that stand out from the rest:
6.1. Sinhalese Bar
For a bar, it closes early for a bar, but the vintage trappings and pink walls lend to a very charming environment that is something unique!
You can either opt for a coffee or beer. But best of all, you can catch up with friends as there is no loud music over here!
- Address: No.2, Jalan Bijeh Timah, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 12pm to 9.30pm
6.2. Fei Bo Snow Beer
You’ll get a good sense of local atmospherehere from the open-air seating arrangement right on the road – typical Malaysian hawker style!
They have Chinese food of large portions at reasonable prices!
Top it off with a frosted glass of smooth beer (a.k.a snow beer)!
- Address: 8, Jalan Medan Ipoh 3, Taman Ipoh Timur, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 4:30pm to 12am (12:30am for Fridays and Saturdays)
Ipoh has 3 very renowned Western style bars – all are very lively places on a Friday or Saturday night!
6.3. Bricks & Barrels | Gastrobar & BeerGarden
A gastrobar on a famous street (Millionaires Street) of Ipoh, Bricks & Barrels is one of the busiest pubs at night!
Open till late, you can have a delicious western-style meal for dinner here – maybe at their cozy outdoor seating:
Then, stay for their wide selection of liquor – beer and whiskeys from around the world!
There is usually a live band playing so don’t expect to have heart-to-heart conversations here.
- Address: 28-30, Jalan Lau Ek Ching, Kampung Jawa, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 5pm to 2am (Closed on Mondays)
- Phone for reservations: +605-253 8558
- Recommended dishes: Pork ribs, spaghetti, Guinness Stout, pizza
6.4. Healy Mac’s Irish Bar
Not a place for conversation with the live music going on. But it is great for hanging out with friends and throwing back some beers while watching sports or the live band perform!
Beer is affordable here! And the bar is partially open-air if that makes sense.
- Address: 2, Jalan Persiaran Greentown 4, Greentown Avenue, 30450 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 12pm to 1am
- Recommended dishes: Pizza, pork knuckles, BBQ pork ribs
- Remarks: Open for lunch too.
6.5. Euro House
The pub caters to their mostly Chinese patrons that come for the cheap draft beer so you will often find Chinese music (live bands) playing here!
Take your pick of seating nooks around the dimly lit pub.
- Address: 51, Jalan Hussein, Taman Jubilee, 30250 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 3pm to 12am
- Recommended dishes: Lamb cut, pizza, carbonara,
- Remarks: Ladies night is on Monday! Usually full on Fridays!
7. Cocktail Bars
In the mood for a cocktail? Look no further:
7.1. Tiga Bar
Ample selection of vodka, gin, whiskey, and brandy at Tiga Bar. Cocktails are on the mild side.
You will not mind the price if you can appreciate the trendy ambiance of the bar!
- Address: 35, Market Lane, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Opening hours: 6pm to 12am (Closed on Wednesdays)
7.2. Atas Speakeasy
“Atas” is the Malaysian slang for “classy”.
Which is a good fit for the art-deco styled bar. And the affordable cocktails here have an interesting Malaysian twist to them too!
- Address: 183a, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, Taman Jubilee, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Opening hours: 6pm to 12am; Friday & Saturday, 6pm–1am (Closed on Tuesdays)
8. Ipoh Dance & Night Clubs
While Ipoh is not known for having a happening dance scene. Clubs have come and gone through the years with little success.
The latest club in town is Reset Club. It has taken over Ohm.
Note: You might find the energy levels a tad bit lower than what you would expect in Kuala Lumpur!
8.1. Reset Club | Ipoh
Reset Club has friendly service. The party scene starts about 11pm as the DJ only starts at midnight. Note that the music is loud (even for club standards).
To encourage more customers, they do have a happy hour for wine at around 8pm.
- Address: 15-17, Jalan Raja Ekram, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 4pm–2am
9. Ipoh Heritage Walk At Night
Ipoh KTM Square (Dataran KTM Ipoh)
The Ipoh train station looks very different at night:
The well-maintained park at the front and the station’s proximity to other landmarks like the Birch Memorial Clock Tower and Ipoh Town Hall make for a delightful walk after dinner at Ipoh Old Town or Ipoh New Town.
- Address: 2700, Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang Wahab, 30000 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 6am–11pm
10. Family-friendly Activities At Night
If it’s not raining, families can participate in some night-time activities like cycling at these places:
10.1. Sultan Abdul Aziz Recreation Park
Locals refer to it as Ipoh Pologround.
The park is open for 24 hours. And on the weekends, you can see families bringing their kids here to play at the playground at night.
There may be a vendor renting out small cars for kids to ride around too.
10.2. Kinta Riverfront Walk
If cycling along the river (Kinta Riverfront) at night sounds appealing to you:
There is usually a vendor that rents out bikes and other wheeled rides suitable for the kids on the weekends.
Note: The toy car rides have recently been banned.
You can also check out the bicycle rental packages from Cycledios!
Address: In front of Kinta Riverfront hotel
Read more: Coffee Camp 612 In Ipoh – Plant Filled Café At Ipoh Kinta Riverfront
10.3 Hangout At Sultan Azlan Shah Roundabout
Many locals like to come here to have an evening walk or jog. Or rent electric bikes and little cars (RM35 for 20 minutes which is just about enough to go one round).
Other things to do here include a bouncy castle park of sorts in the middle (this was formerly a water park). And an electric go-kart course.
There may be a night market or event going on depending on when you visit.
It’s a big space so it doesn’t feel crowded. There are ample seats around too. As for public facilities, there are toilets.
- Address: Persiaran Meru Raya 1, 30020 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 6am–10pm
This Ipoh night activity is fun and relaxing at the same time!
The hot springs section of the theme park opens from evening onwards.
You can choose to buy the whole day ticket to enjoy the other rides and slides of the theme park, or just opt for the hot springs section! Walk-in rates for the hot springs and night park are RM75/adult.
Either way, have fun dipping into the numerous pools of varying temperatures. There’s even a steam cave and Jacuzzi pool!
Warning: Pretty crowded on weekends and public holidays!
- Address: No.1, Persiaran Lagun Sunway 1,Sunway City Ipoh, 31150 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours (Hot Springs): 6pm to 11pm
There are a few reputable places to get a body or foot massage around Ipoh during later hours of the day:
12.1. Crystal Spa (at Lost World of Tambun)
- Address: Inside Sunway’s Lost World of Tambun
- Operating hours: 11am to 11pm (Closed on Tuesdays)
12.2. Thai Oasis (ICC Club)
- Address: 283, Jalan Raja Permaisuri Bainun, 30250 Ipoh, Perak
- Operating hours: 10am to 12am
And for your information, there are plenty of other massage options in Ipoh.
13. Shopping & Karaoke
When it’s raining, the shopping malls become welcome places to visit in Ipoh at night!
13.1. Ipoh Shopping Malls
In case you didn’t know, most shopping malls in the bigger cities of Malaysia are open until 10pm!
Singing with friends is an activity enjoyed by many Malaysians regardless of age. So, it’s not surprising that Ipoh has some reliable karaoke venues to cater to this stress-relieving pastime!
13.2. Kbox Karaoke
There are 2 branches – one at AEON Kinta City and the other is at Ipoh Parade Mall.
Branch at Ipoh Parade:
Opening hours: 11am to 1am (Exception of Friday and Saturday where they close at 2am)
Branch at AEON Kinta City:
Entrance is close to the supermarket and not attached to the rest of the mall.
Opening hours: 11am to 2am
More Karaoke Spots:
- The Voice Ipoh
- Enco Karaoke
14. Bowling Or The Movies
Anchor cinemas like GSC or TGV usually show late-night movies as well at the malls.
Or if you prefer, you can go bowling until midnight at Ampang Superbowl (closes at 10:30pm) at the top floor of Ipoh Parade Mall.
Note: There are some other Ipoh shopping malls that have TGV cinema as well. But for GSC, we only have Ipoh Parade Mall at the moment.
More Cinemas in Ipoh:
- TGV @ AEON Mall Ipoh Klebang
- TGV @ AEON Kinta City
- GSC @ Ipoh Parade
- LFS Seri Kinta Ipoh
- GSC @ AEON Big Falim
- TGV @ AEON Ipoh Station 18
- 21 Must Try Best Ipoh Food (With Alternative Locations!)
- 15 Best Breakfast In Ipoh: Recommended By A Local!
- 5 Famous Ipoh Peanut Candy Stores To Check Out In Ipoh
MAPS Theme Park (Officially Closed)
If you have kids who are still bursting with energy, it’s worth spending a couple of hours at Ipoh’s newest theme park!
Entrance is free and you pay per ride.
The theme park is mostly open-air so going in the evening will be cooler than any other time of the day!
MAPS Ipoh theme park is open until 11pm every day except on Wednesday!
- Ipoh Street Art: A Must-do In Ipoh (Mural Art Includes Where To Find Them)
- Concubine Lane Ipoh: A Must Visit Street In Ipoh
- Ipoh Itinerary – Day Trip, 2D1N or 3D2N
- HOGA Gaharu Tea Valley Gopeng: Another Place To Try Tea For Tea Lovers
Private Tour In Ipoh
Need transport in Ipoh? Don’t know where to go tomorrow?
Or even Taiping!
There are not quite as many things to do in Ipoh at night as there are in the daytime.
Nighttime activities include getting a beer or coffee, going to pubs, bars, shopping malls, movies, park, or dessert houses.
And many of these establishments close at 12am. For clubbing, there is the Reset Club in Ipoh.