A visit to a night market (or pasar malam) in Ipoh is a golden opportunity to sample local fare and street food. And try your hand at bargaining with the locals!
You can find all sorts of things at the night markets besides food. From household items, electrical goods, souvenirs, shoes, toys and more.
Except for Gerbang Malam night market in Ipoh New Town, there’s a different location for the local market every day of the week!
Table Of Contents:
Ipoh Night Markets Schedule
The night markets are open in the evening. Usually from 6:30pm right on to 10:30pm!
If you don’t feel like going to these, see these other interesting places to visit in Ipoh at night!
|Day Of The Week
There are 2 night markets that are open daily. These are Gerbang Malam at Ipoh New Town. And the big night market opposite AEON Kinta City shopping mall.
Monday Night Markets
1. Pasar Malam Gunung Rapat
Somewhere around Ampang and close to Gunung Rapat is this authentic local market! Unless it is raining, it is very lively with plenty of street food to try at reasonable prices! This is one of the largest night markets in Ipoh.
If it’s not raining, there can be more than 100 stalls here! We recommend heading for the stall that sells apam balik straightaway. As this tasty treat sells out fast. Our favorite flavor is pandan with coconut flakes.
It opens earlier than most other markets in Ipoh and most of the vendors are Chinese.
Goods sold here:
- Taiwanese snacks
- Fresh vegetables – uncooked groundnuts cost RM7 for 1kg
- Local fruit – Mangosteen (3kg for RM10), Duku Langsat (2kg for RM10), Pulasan (2kg for RM10), etc
- Household items
- Multicultural food
- When: Monday from 5pm to 10pm
- Where: 27, Selasar Rokam 11, Taman Ipoh Jaya, 31350 Ipoh, Perak
Tuesday Night Markets
2. Ipoh Garden East Night Market (Or Pasar Malam Taman Ipoh Timur)
At Ipoh Garden East before Tambun area:
Is another predominantly Chinese-run night market with lots of Chinese food to try and things to see.
If you like stinky tofu, you will find that here! And an unusual version of tofu – black tofu!
Finding parking is not difficult even though this market can be crowded!
- When: Tuesday from 6pm to 10:30pm
- Where: 13, Jalan Medan Ipoh 6, Taman Ipoh Timur, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
Wednesday Night Markets
3. Bercham Night Market
Bercham Night Market may be a small Chinese night market, but you can still find the usual pasar malam wares for sale here:
- Coconut juice and other beverages
- Ready-made food
- Dry food and snacks
- Seasonal fruit
- Electronic accessories and gadgets
- When: Wednesday from 6pm to 11pm
- Where: Hala Bercham Timur 11, Taman Pakatan, 31400 Ipoh, Perak
Thursday Night Markets
4. SPPK Night Market (SPPK Pasar Malam)
Open every Thursday night, SPPK Night Market has stalls selling delicious local food like laksa, fried chicken, satay, apong balik, fried raddish and more!
You can find many beverages too:
- Bubble tea
- Calamansi juice
- Sugarcane juice
- Fresh coconut
As with the other night markets, you can buy random items like mobile accessories, household items and clothing too.
The place is thriving during Chinese New Year!
- When: Thursday from 5:30pm to 10pm
- Where: Jalan Pegoh, Taman Pengkalan Jaya, 31650 Ipoh, Perak
5. Pasar Malam Bandar Baru Menglembu
Pasar Malam Bandar Baru Menglembu is a typical night market that caters to the local residents – who are mostly Malay in this area.
You can try local snacks here like fried jackfruit (or cempedak), sweet potato as well as apong balik!
There are stalls selling fresh produce like sweet corn and other things like beauty products!
- Monday from 4:30pm to 9pm
- Thursday from 5pm to 9pm
Friday Night Markets
6. First Garden Night Market (Pasar Malam Taman Pertama)
First Garden Night Market is easily the largest pasar malam in Ipoh with around 200 stalls.
The bustling market has a huge selection of made-to-order food stalls. The assam laksa stall in the middle by the sugarcane drink stall is highly commendable!
It’s easy to spend RM20-RM40 here just on food and beverages!
Other items you can find here:
- Drink stalls (but no fresh coconuts)
- Electrical gadgets like mobile accessories
- Fried finger food
- Fruit and vegetables
- When: Friday from 5:30pm to 10:30pm
- Where: Taman Pertama, 30100 Ipoh, Perak
Weekend Night Markets
7. Ipoh Waterfront City Pasar Malam
This is a brand-new location for night markets in Ipoh. It is approximately 20 minutes from central Ipoh. And there are over 100 stalls here. Most of them cater to Chinese folks.
There is street food, bubble tea, fruit stalls and more that you can explore here.
See our photos for Ipoh Waterfront City Pasar Malam.
- When: Saturday from 5pm to 10:30pm
- Where: Waterfront City Ipoh
8. Paloh Street Food Paradise
There are not many stalls here yet, but Paloh Street Food Paradise is very convenient for tourists to explore. This is because it is in Ipoh New Town, next to a popular homestay location (Octagon apartments).
This new night market is only open at weekends. And most of the stalls sell snacks and drinks.
See more photos of Paloh Street Food Paradise.
- When: Saturday and Sunday from 6pm to 11pm
- Where: The Octagon Ipoh
Recommended: 19 Best Hotels In Ipoh
Daily Night Markets
9. Gerbang Malam Ipoh
Open every night, this open-air flea market attracts tourists staying in hotels at Ipoh New Town and Ipoh Old Town.
With Chinese restaurants like Lou Wong and Tuck Kee close to the night market, it’s not surprising that people come over for a look after dinner.
There are stalls selling:
- Sport shoes
- Mobile phone accessories
Tip: Peak time to visit is 9pm when all the shops have fully set up.
- When: Every night from 6pm to 12am
- Where: Jalan Dato Tahwil Azar, Taman Jubilee, 30300 Ipoh, Perak
10. Food Truck Garden Bulatan Amanjaya
If you’re looking for international halal food, this is the place to check out!
Food to try:
- Char kuay teow
- Grilled chicken chop
- Lamb chop
- Nasi goreng (local-style fried rice)
- Smoked duck spaghetti
Popular stalls to watch out for are Konda Kondi and Meltshack.
The food trucks and live music provide a different sort of ambiance from the typical night markets in Ipoh!
Tip: Not advisable to go on a rainy day. A bit pricey.
- When: Every day except Tuesday from 6pm to 12am
- Where: Jalan Meru Bestari A8, 31200 Ipoh, Perak
11. Ipoh Night Market (Formerly Ipoh Walk Night Bazaar)
At the end of 2017, there was a new giant night market – supposedly the largest ever in Malaysia! And right in Ipoh complete with a car park, free WiFi, toilet facilities and a surau.
It made quite a stir as the management claimed that it would have 300 food stalls and at least 400 more selling other products and services.
They even went through the trouble of screening food vendors to ensure that they were halal. Unfortunately, despite a promising start, the market was closed during the pandemic.
Today, the market is open. To the side of the market are electric car rides for children.
There are many stalls selling shoes and other apparel. As well as many choices of halal food further inside the market. Different cuisines are available too – There is Thai, western, Chinese, Korean, etc.
We noticed most customers and vendors here are Muslim. The market was pretty lively on a weekday. We saw a live band setting up too.
Moreover, this market is within walking distance from a popular shopping mall (AEON Kinta City) in Ipoh. And despite the large area, it can be hard to find parking on public holidays and weekends.
- When: Every day from 4pm to 1am (closes at 2am from Friday to Sunday)
- Where: LOT 158408, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah Utara, 30350 Ipoh, Perak
Read more: 13 Best Ipoh Biscuits & Souvenirs
Regardless which day of the week it is, there is always at least one night market to check out in Ipoh!
On the safe side, you can visit Gerbang Malam night market in Ipoh New Town as it is open every day! But the markets that locals go to tend to be in residential areas further from town.
Other recommendations for Ipoh food at night.
Other posts you might like: 7 Places To Get A Good Massage In Ipoh